DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Lots of oil out the valve cover breathers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lots of oil out the valve cover breathers
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Hello again,

I built a 540bbc over the winter and am seeing a lot of oil out of the valve cover breathers. Made a pass yesterday and thought I blew the motor up when I took my foot off the throttle. Lots of smoke. Popped the hood to find the engine bay covered in oil. This is a 3000# car, PG with brake. Car went 9.82 @ 134 with a horrible 1.44 60' (car normally runs 1.2x) and on the rev limiter for the last couple hundred feet. Seems like the engine is pretty strong. It has not been on a dyno.

I've tried 2 different sets of valve covers, 2 sizes of evacuator setups and now a set of open to atmosphere breathers thinking I had a crankcase evac problem. Going to do a compression test but I'm looking for other ideas regarding the source before I pull the engine out and disassemble. Rings maybe? Valve stem seals? Head gaskets? Everything is new, no used parts in the engine.

Posts: 72 | Location: Oostburg WI | Registered: October 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Breathers at front of valve covers or rear

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Have you checked to see if a baffle is installed beneath the breather hole, maybe too much oil being pumped up through lifters, might need a hose-pipe joining oil pan [above oil level] to valve cover to equalize pressure.
this is the for what it's worth department. Good luck and I hope one of these ideas work for you.
See Ya

Posts: 2 | Location: Winston-Salem | Registered: December 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Also how much oil are you running could it be over full

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Breathers are at the front of the valve covers. These are baffled valve covers.

7qt pan with 7 quarts of oil.

Posts: 72 | Location: Oostburg WI | Registered: October 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I believe a look at the spark plugs and a leak down test will reveal your problem. Frown

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
What kind of ring package ? Gap ? Vent/filter at mech fuel pump housing ?

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Bummer!!

As said leak it, identify the bad holes. Take dingle berry hone knock the glaze off those cylinders and put new rings.

I've done it and had it back together running in a day, by midnight.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Too much crancase pressure. Could be broken ring(s) or piston. Doubt you burned piston unless you run nitrous or a blower.

I had si,ilar deal with first injected motor we built back in 85. Switched to total seal and problem gone. Not saying you need total seal rings just that rings where issue.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
It could be as simple as to much oil in the top end. Don't spend a bunch of money finding out that you haven't fixed the problem.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
7 quarts is a lot even in a 7qt pan. I’d drop to 6 or 5.5 and see if there is any difference.

Posts: 395 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Do you have check valves in the headers? If one is bad it will allow air into the crank case and pressurize one side, blowing oil out.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
It could be as simple as to much oil in the top end. Don't spend a bunch of money finding out that you haven't fixed the problem.

Should I be planning to add flow restrictors of some kind?

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If it only smokes when you lift then it's likely oil sloshing forward and flooding the area where your header evac tubes are which could be due to location and or too much oil up top. Too much oil up top is usually due to no restrictors in the block. Some heads also hold more oil upstairs than others which makes things worse. Normally conventional headed BBC do not need drain back hoses.

If it smokes under WOT then you got ring issues.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Not the exact problem but I once had a evac tube to the header from the valve cover located right over a rocker arm and it was throwing oil right up into the evac tube....looked like I blew the motor every time I went down the track.
You obviously have either a oil return problem OR something causing way to much crankshaft pressure.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Are the lifters modified to increase oiling to the rockers?

Duane Allen

Posts: 29 | Location: Sandston VA | Registered: December 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane1791:
Are the lifters modified to increase oiling to the rockers?

No, just standard +.300 Howards solid rollers.

DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CSRacing:

Should I be planning to add flow restrictors of some kind?

Yes, and opening/smoothing up the drain back holes

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
are you on gas or alky ?

Posts: 26 | Location: washington iowa | Registered: May 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have had the same issue in the past.

Posts: 26 | Location: washington iowa | Registered: May 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post