DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    CS130 Alternator - 1 Wire Conversion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CS130 Alternator - 1 Wire Conversion
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Trying to use a CS130 alternator (7888-3A) w/ 4 pin plug in a one wire race application, and was wondering what combination of pin-jumping will get this unit to self excite, if possible.

Probably not the best option, but Mopar low mount alternator brackets are limited and I already had this unit. Alternative options welcome.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: A39Coronet,

Posts: 119 | Location: Outside | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 57 Vette
posted Hide Post
You need to replace the internal regulator, in order for it to work properly.

IHRA ACDELCO Canadian Nationals
Top/et Iron man Champion Wink
57 Don Davis Super Gas roadster Cool
SDPC 582 Head Hunter on Alcohol

Posts: 268 | Location: Toronto Ont/Surprise AZ | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
A39, as stated above, for a true one wire conversion, the regulator must be replaced.

Another option, you can apply ignition on power to the "I" terminal [one of the four small pins, look closely, the letters are small]

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Why not run it as is? It will charge better because you can put the sense wire where you want the voltage maintained at. In my opinion the benefits are worth the extra wires, especially if you have a relocated battery in the back. I have a stock one on my car and have run it this way for years.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1829 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Black&Blue
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to a self exciting regulator.

https://store.alternatorparts.com/d411se.aspx

Posts: 6 | Location: Bloomsburg | Registered: January 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
S wire to relay board or remote solenoid sensing wire.

L wire to a switched 12v with a 194 bulb in the circuit.

Posts: 12 | Location: indianapolis in | Registered: July 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aaron vail:
S wire to relay board or remote solenoid sensing wire.

L wire to a switched 12v with a 194 bulb in the circuit.

You could also substitute a 300 ohm 1 watt resistor for the 194 bulb.

Posts: 2446 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
After some experimenting, I learned the 194 bulb while OK, is not required.

The OE regulator is of such a design that once the alternator is energized the "I" terminal by design is internally taken out of the circuit.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
find a local rebuilt shop if you have one they can do it for you.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of RTsr.
posted Hide Post
X2
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:
Why not run it as is? It will charge better because you can put the sense wire where you want the voltage maintained at. In my opinion the benefits are worth the extra wires, especially if you have a relocated battery in the back. I have a stock one on my car and have run it this way for years.

RT
An "old" racer turned pit crew.

Posts: 11 | Location: ON Canada | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post