DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    K&R Super Duty Complete Wiring Kit
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

K&R Super Duty Complete Wiring Kit
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
I have our 80 Camaro almost totally gutted to prepare for car upgrades. I think I have the wiring kit narrowed down to the K&R Super Duty Complete Wiring Kit. Anybody have any thoughts on this kit or recommendations on another brand?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: B KING,

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2540 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have the K&R kit in my Dragster and I like it. Will probably use the same on my new Altered.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4001 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Digital Delay Elite Mega Dial Panel with relay board, wiring kit and dial board.

Easier to switch back and forth from RPM to Time shifting if desired.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
Have the K&R kits in both cars and love it !!! It's been in the Firebird for at least 5 years and have never had a single problem or issue. Very user friendly too.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
been using the K and R for 6 years now trouble free. Both are great products.

That being said I would consider what you are using it for. If its a No Box car I would go with the digital delay with built in dial board controller. If its a Box car then will depend on what box you are using. New digital delay boxes will control board automatically. Thats what I have so I run the K and R wiring seeing I dont need the dial board control.

Stephen Liss jr

Posts: 329 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: April 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have the super duty in one car and the regular in another car both work fine.

As far as digital dial in boards, I’ll never have one on any of my cars. I’ve seen too many of them act up or fail, actually saw two at this weekends bracket finals. There’s always someone around to change a number on a flip a dial and I know that won’t cut out at an inopportune time.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
K&R products and customer service is second to none. The K&R dial in board on my dragster has never failed in 6 years and neither have K&R dial in boards on my friends and competitors cars. My door car now has dual K&R boards too.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, including ED!

I was really impressed with the K&R customer service. I emailed them with a couple of questions. I didn't expect a same day reply, but they did around 8pm their time.

I also like the digital delay kit, but I'm leaning toward the K&R. I still have about 3 months before I need to order/install.

Thanks again!

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2540 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I have K&R panels and replaced the switch panel last year. It was 16 years old and the ignition rocker switch started to go bad....I opted to replace the entire panel as the switch covers were worn...

I called Kevin and he made one up to work as I have the older version relay panel and is very good to deal with. Great customer service....

I sent my delay box in for testing once as well just to make sure it was ok...I suck, the box doesn't....LOL

I love my K&R products.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
put a complete K&R wiring kit in the dragster 7 years ago ,very nice stuff , and Kevin is one of the most helpful guys you will ever meet ... as you can see he and his products are highly recommended ..

Posts: 783 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
You cant go wrong with Kevin or any K&R product

Posts: 2421 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Like the Digital Delay for reliability and a couple easy to change features. The new 475 Delay box automatically sends the dial in from your delay box to the digital display, nothing manual to enter.

We have wired 6 cars with them, all components are top of the line. No issues and Charlie is always near the phone if you have a question or issue (we haven't).

I think both brands are excellent, its just a personal choice.

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I bought a k&r kit when I assembled my dragster. They're now in every car we own. In 10 years, we've only had one failure, something in one relay went out and wasn't sending a strong single for the starter switch. We were still able to start it with a different switch. K&r had us the parts to fix it by mid week the next week.

Posts: 66 | Location: Glen Burnie | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
As Jok wrote and I agree, Both K&R and Digital Delay offer excellent quality products. I researched both prior to purchasing and here’s the list of why I chose Digital Delay Ver 10 relay board for my door car that runs in box and no-box.

The DD dial in board controller is integrated with the Elite Mega switch panel. Two of the switch panel rockers are selectable for either single or dual position on the relay board. The relay board has a 2 amp Pass Through to the switch panel.

Unlike the K&R that has four different individual shift output options, DD has one shift output that uses two selector switches for input polarity and one for shifter output state (no / nc). Unlike K&R that uses a jumper plug to select rpm or time input, DD uses a 12v input to select this mode.

Although I have an air shifter, I do not use the relay board shift output. Instead I used this circuit to activate the line lock. This circuit can be made to separately activate the line lock solenoid with both burnout and transbrake inputs.

Lastly, if using the K&R wiring diagram for MSD Grid 7730 with the relay board there is an error in the diagram to note. The Grid Brown/ White wire does not go to the relay board RAS terminal unless you want to use Grid to shift using the Output Switch time feature. Instead, the Yellow “Shift Light” wire should be attached to this RAS terminal. One can also connect both the Yellow Shift Light and Brown/ White Output Switch wires together on the RAS terminal if desired.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of DaleH
posted Hide Post
If you are using the Grid to shift on time with the K&R board connected to the K&R timer terminal you will need a relay to provide a ground. The K&R panel assume you will use a delay box timer that provides ground from the timer function. The Grid provides 12V.

Wish there was an easy way to switch the K&R from RPM to Time shift on the board. The jumper really isn't very friendly.

Posts: 61 | Location: MN | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaleH:
If you are using the Grid to shift on time with the K&R board connected to the K&R timer terminal you will need a relay to provide a ground. The K&R panel assume you will use a delay box timer that provides ground from the timer function. The Grid provides 12V.

Wish there was an easy way to switch the K&R from RPM to Time shift on the board. The jumper really isn't very friendly.

You have this reversed. Grid will only output a negative signal from both the Shift Light and Output Switch wires.

The K&R relay board requires a Positive signal on the Timer input and a Negative signal on the RAS input to activate.

As I wrote prior, one can attach both Shift Light and Output Switch wires to the same K&R relay board RAS terminal.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
Jok

Hit the nail on the head with back-up from markemark!

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Trophy
Picture of vega3410
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by DaleH:

You have this reversed. Grid will only output a negative signal from both the Shift Light and Output Switch wires.

The K&R relay board requires a Positive signal on the Timer input and a Negative signal on the RAS input to activate.

As I wrote prior, one can attach both Shift Light and Output Switch wires to the same K&R relay board RAS terminal.

I'm glad I stumbled across this while looking for something else.. so basically I run both wires to the ras terminal use the shift light to shift on rpm and the output switch to shift on time? Do I have to switch the plug in for the shift on the k & r board?

In greed we trust...So where's my money at?

Posts: 187 | Location: Elyria,Ohio | Registered: February 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vega3410: so basically I run both wires to the ras terminal use the shift light to shift on rpm and the output switch to shift on time? Do I have to switch the plug in for the shift on the k & r board?

Leave the RPM MODE plug inserted in the K&R relay board and land both Grid wires (Yellow + B/W) to the RAS terminal. RAS terminal uses a negative signal to activate the shift relay output. Grid only outputs negative signals.

In Grid you program which desired method to shift with.

If you use a timer or rpm box that outputs a positive signal, you land them on the board TIMER terminal and switch the board plug to TIME MODE

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
Jok

Hit the nail on the head with back-up from markemark!

I researched both & feel the Digital Delay switch panel kit fits my needs the best. I'm getting ready to order the kit with roll bar mount. It's on sale until Jan 4th & is saving me around $60 to boot.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436