Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    When do you need a wing on a dragster?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When do you need a wing on a dragster?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted
Never had a wing on my dragster.
Actually my first car had one when I bought it and I took it off so I never had to bump my head into it.
So when does a wing become necessary MPH wise?

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 1909 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
based on what I see with my own eyes, some MPH north of 198 though Tracy Dennis had told me in January of 2014 he went 240 without a wing and without issue.

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

Support our country! Support our Troops! Support our economy! Buy American!!

Posts: 8127 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bradsc1954
posted Hide Post
I thought the rule was 200 mph. You need a wing.

Posts: 127 | Location: Weare NH USA | Registered: July 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bill masiello
posted Hide Post
I would have to say that if you are going over 185 to 190 a good rear wing will make the car more stable at speed ! My son put one on his car and you can feel the difference !

Posts: 35 | Location: shelton ct | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
On my Altered you could feel it getting up on the tire and loose around 170 in the 1/4 mile. There was even a few times when air was good and track was cold that it would do it at lower speed.
Wing smoothed all of that out and faster it goes smoother it gets. Crosswinds do not bother it at all now.
My car is one of the few that can get down cool track when many others can not.

Also remember a few years ago there was a rash of Super Comp top end crashes, some pretty bad. I wonder if they had a good wing it would not have happened? (Thinking out loud)
Mind you I am not talking about the small Undercover Mono wing, it does not do much at all except look cool.
My altered weighed 1675 and they are not real aerodynamic, your dragster may be heavier and cleaner airflow so it may not be as bad.

I have not done back to back testing to see how much my wing slows my car down but I do know for a FACT IT MAKES IT HOOK BETTER ON BACK HALF OF THE TRACK. It makes it more stable and consistent and easier to drive. Right now I could take my hands off the wheel at full speed before I would catch myself tensing up on the wheel around 1000'. Just super smooth now and totally different car. What ever it slows it down if any is well worth it because it makes it hook all the way down the track and more stable. On my car, yours may be different.

What speed? Depends on weight, wind, weather, track conditions, aerodynamics, tires and other things.
At some speed it will start getting up on the tire and need some down force. That is just a fact.
Why are you asking? Does car feel light in the back at speed? If so it is time.

Posts: 1141 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
the small Undercover Mono wing, it does not do much at all except look cool.

and you would know this how?

Talk about what you know, which is NOTHING, not what you think you know!!

Meanwhile this wing is on numerous dragsters throughout the country running in excess of 200MPH including two that post here, Vince Musolino aka topd1332 and Chris Wilson aka Spanky@Wilson Race Engines who has been as fast as 218 competing in TD!

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

Posts: 8127 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If I make the switch to T/D I'll add a wing so there is a place to wrap the chute. LOL

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 4533 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I noticed a difference when racing with crosswinds at Phoenix and Tucson Bruce. The wing made the car more stable. I would say around 170 my wing is pretty much set at zero

Posts: 479 | Location: Highland,Ca | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
When you want to be one of the cool kids. Wink

Posts: 625 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
If I make the switch to T/D I'll add a wing so there is a place to wrap the chute. LOL

That is for sure Vern.

I do know on Denny Hills T/D he removed fairly large wing and went to the small mono strut and gained no MPH. Car did not feel any different driving both to him and myself.
Biggest advantage is the small wing was low enough that I didn't bang my head on it when standing up from checking rear tire pressure.
As far as a rule at 200mph, I'll have to do some more reading. I do know dual parachutes are required at 200.

Bruce Lee Cool

Posts: 1909 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
finally got the rule book out and here it is:

A rear wing is mandatory on all cars that exceed 200 mph; minimum area 360
square inches, maximum 750 square inches, minimum height 55
inches (measured vertically from tailing edge to ground). Spill plates
must be flat/straight and parallel and measure a minimum of 50
square inches each. Leading edge of wing may be no more than 10
inches forward of the centerline of the rear
of canards/wings may be within 6 inches of axle. Wing may not be
configured or installed so as to generate negative downforce or lift.
Any adjustment or movement during run prohibited.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
the small Undercover Mono wing, it does not do much at all except look cool.

and you would know this how?

Talk about what you know, which is NOTHING, not what you think you know!!

Meanwhile this wing is on numerous dragsters throughout the country running in excess of 200MPH including two that post here, Vince Musolino aka topd1332 and Chris Wilson aka Spanky@Wilson Race Engines who has been as fast as 218 competing in TD!
the undercover wing does virtually nothing, that's based on actual racepak shock data. Maybe 100 pounds of downforce at 200 mph, which is basically nothing.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1254 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
so which is it, nothing or 100 lbs. of down force based on your data? Roll Eyes

if only Vince, Chris and the many others using this wing on their TD cars consulted with you first. Shake head

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
the undercover wing does virtually nothing, that's based on actual racepak shock data. Maybe 100 pounds of downforce at 200 mph, which is basically nothing.

That is what I meant, in my opinion the Undercover wing is the nicest looking one made but it does not do nearly as much as some of the others. Does it help? Sure I guess it is better than nothing but not like some of the others. As I understand it the Undercover was designed to meet the MINIMUM of the wing rule and have little drag.
I do not know how much down force my wing has but I know it is significantly more than that and I know the faster the car goes more stable it gets. I have seen some pictures of my car near the finish line and you can tell from the pictures it is still loading the tires good. Most important you can feel it working.

P. S. I did not put the wing on my car because I like the looks, I put it on there because it WORKS!

Posts: 1141 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
More CLUELESS comments coming from one that has no data to back up his baseless opinion no mind practical experience with this wing or a dragster. denied

Meanwhile I run this wing and I have the data from Kurt Damron and Bill Frederick and it's far more than 100 lbs.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Most bracket cars are fairly heavy. So with or without a wing may not affect much how the car handles. Cars that are purpose built for a class or some ( like myself) who are weight freaks if the speed is high enough do benefit in the handling department. Cars like B/ED or C/D which were a handful to drive before the mandatory wing rule come into play, it has helped. Back in the late 1980's and very early 1990's we ran a SBC dragster. that would run 7.60's at 176. When I would put the wing on it would slow the car about 1/10th. No handling change. My current car which is pretty light and will run 240 mph turned lose, does benefit from the wing. The higher the speed ....or the lighter the car, how the car feels going down the track will tell you.

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 974 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Old SG
posted Hide Post
On our Mike Bos T/D the wing is somewhat larger than the undercover or spitzer sportsman wings. Definitely does a good job here in Denver where the thin air is not a help. Going around 215 mph with 4 % angle. I really do believe the spill plates are big help in making the car go straight.

During the Mile High Nationals this year NHRA was measuring wing square inches when we were at the scales during qualifying session one to make sure they met the rules.

Denny Johnson
I'd rather win than drive.
SG 559
TD 5595 2015 Mile High Champ
TD 559 2016 Mile High Champ
4.112 @ 174
6.401 @ 215 DA 9648

Posts: 567 | Location: Wheat Ridge, Co | Registered: November 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

if only Vince, Chris and the many others using this wing on their TD cars consulted with you first. Shake head
100 pounds ain't shyt lol but you'll ***** and whine and cry about anything you own to justify your purchase choices lol your car doesnt even go fast enough to need a wing, especially since its a tank lol

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1254 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
point is your claims are baseless and your opinion is not fact. Two Thumbs down

Talk about what you know, not what you think you know! Wrong

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
quote:

100 pounds ain't shyt lol but you'll ***** and whine and cry about anything you own to justify your purchase choices lol your car doesnt even go fast enough to need a wing, especially since its a tank lol

Will, you have a good point, he has never been fast enough to feel it get up on the tire and loose. If he had he would not be in this conversation. Talk about a Clueless LOSER he has never been that fast and he is arguing with us about it? LOSER!
And if they do not help why does NHRA mandate them over 200? Did they check with Ed and his friend of a friend that supposedly knows? (Note they have wings to.)
He starts off arguing they are not needed until over 200 then he is now trying to say the Undercover Wing works great? Hello! Make up your little mind.
Really makes him look stupid when he is arguing about something he has never done and knows nothing about and can not even keep his story straight. (But he does have "Friends" who have gone fast.) Also his opinion and not based on actual factual seat of the pants evidence only hearsay from his "Friends". Stick to the facts here about what you KNOW and not who you...... Keep arguing Buddy, keep arguing. Bless his Heart, does not have a clue. Maybe some day he can run with the Big boys and see for himself. Until then STFU. LOSER.