DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Pay attention to your trailer hitch
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pay attention to your trailer hitch
 Login/Join

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted
Racers keep an eye on you tow package. An item I regularly inspect and it paid off. Caught it before anyone could get hurt. Guess the pot holes up north got more than a few of my tires!

Posts: 2099 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
GOOD CATCH SCOTT! Lookin mine over tonight!

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
That is a great catch.

Was this Made in China by chance?

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Good catch.. How old is that ball?. I always made a habit of going to the heaviest ball i can purchase. GVW... Mine has the sleeve in it to go to the larger GVW unit. Older Reese unit.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I got under my toter at lunch...6 of 8 welds holding hitch on was either broken completely or the weld was cracked.

Thanks for the nudge to check it Scott! Plenty of welding to do now.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
scott
I just looked at mine.i have 2...one rated for 10,000 the other for 15,000.the 15,000 looks much thicker where yours broke and the base of my ball(lol) is recessed into the frame where yours sits on top.i think you may have the 10k rated piece.obviously your hauling a touch more

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Check into equalizer hitch much stronger
equalizerhitch.com

Posts: 10 | Location: ohio | Registered: October 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
Guess the pot holes up North got more than a few of my tires!

I was recently on the I-80 tollway in Indiana. The first 50 miles West of the Indiana / Ohio border in both directions I was slowed down to 55 mph because of how rough the road was while towing. I thought Wisconsin roads were bad but this section of Indiana tollway is the worst I’ve experienced.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Just to the right of the crack it looks like your trailer tongue has been shaving away the hitch. Might want to look at the tongue of the trailer too.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
Had that happen before, it was the reason I bought a trailer toad.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Is the ball loose?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The factory hitch on my Chevy dually broke a few years ago while backing in my driveway. So glad it happened at home

Posts: 22 | Location: trenton ohio | Registered: July 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I had a ball shear off just leaving the bolt in the hitch and the ball in the trailer tongue. At 70mph it could have been bad but safety chains, a 3 axel trailer, and some experience saved me.....About $600 worth of damage. Scared me to death.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Look at your entire hitch, and trailer tongue frequently. Also, if you never unhook your trailer, unhook your trailer and examine the ball and coupler.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Of course I recommend a Trailer Toad for the bigger trailers and motorhomes BUT...that said. We are recommending our customers to inspect all hitch components weekly and replace the trailer ball with one of the 25,000 to 30,000-lb rated trailer balls that are available for under $30.00.

Pretty cheap insurance for one of the most-stressed components on a tag trailer. Also, use Loctite on the ball threads, 90% of the lockwashers are from China and we have seen about 50% of them cracked when we remove them.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Check trailer couplers also. Happened to me in June on the way to Virginia

Posts: 64 | Location: Ocoee | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 64 | Location: Ocoee | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
I was recently on the I-80 tollway in Indiana. The first 50 miles West of the Indiana / Ohio border in both directions I was slowed down to 55 mph because of how rough the road was while towing. I thought Wisconsin roads were bad but this section of Indiana tollway is the worst I’ve experienced.

I believe that is the worst road in America!! And they charge you to drive on it Super Angry

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Wait till you get into Ca... or not...lol
I5 ( and I 80) is Friggen terrible! Pot holes with zip codes, swear we saw a store at the bottom of one.... unreal and our fuel tax money? Yeah right...Browns Folley Train to nowhere come to mind??

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4475 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post