DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Getting paid and not scammed with internet sale??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting paid and not scammed with internet sale??
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
EMan, are you planning on shipping the car, or buyer pickup?

It will be buyer arranges shipping, shipper picks it up.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Ok, has buyer seen the car in person? If not, (actually either way), make sure you put in the Bill of Sale that it is being sold AS-IS. You don't want buyer to have remorse, and hire a lawyer who will then try to suck the money back, PLUS stick you with legal fees and transport costs both ways...

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
A Certified / Cashiers Check is a good option. Once it is made out to you, an in your possession, I don't think there is any way for them to cancel it. You could insist on depositing such check, and wait until it clears YOUR bank and funds are in your account. At that point he can't pull it back, and he won't have your account number, (which he would in a wire transfer).

Had a friend get a fake cashiers check on a race car,. Took the bank 3 business days to figure it was fake.

Posts: 1625 | Location: UsA | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:
Wire Transfer, but the gov't will know all about it.

I've talked to local bank about this and they weren't too keen on it for a transaction for goods. They felt that there are many fraudulent wires and the money can be drawn back out. Also that if they obtain your banking info it can be used
I find hard to believe that banks have no means to do something like this securely.

I've done bank transfers before. My bank assured me the money can only go in and not be taken back. The first time I was nervous and sat at the bank to confirm the transfer.

Posts: 1625 | Location: UsA | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I use bank to bank transfers. I make sure my local bank manager gets do-nuts every once in a while and she is happy to do this. I call my wife after I have checked out the car , I have already checked out the VIN. My wife is at my bank ,we go to the sellers bank and the banks do the transfer . Takes about 30 minutes usually.

Posts: 30 | Location: Southwest IOWA | Registered: March 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking I need to go to a bigger bank and not my local branch.
That's the part I don't get about the bank transfer deal. You'd think in todays world a bank would be able to do a bank to bank transfer and then my bank give me a bank check for the money. You'd think banks would be in the money business and have the safeguards worked out. No wonder all of these other services like Paypal, Venmo, Cashapp and such exist and there's empty bank buildings.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
As said them going to your bank with cash and you is one of the best ways. Safer, don't want large sums of cash. Deposit it and take out what you need later.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
I can tell you from experience do not use pay pal, venmo etc to get paid. I built an engine for a customer last year and he paid me through Pay Pal in December and in February of this year he made a claim to Pay Pal that he didn't get his item. Pay Pal gave him his money back. Pay Pal has become a money grab for people.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I learned something from a lawyer friend that the AS-IS, WHERE-IS written on a bill of sale means nothing if the buyer can claim false representation. For example, she had to defend a seller that sold a car cross country and the buyer claimed false representation to the sale because the tires had weather checking on them that was not listed on the paper or shown in the pictures. I know this is petty but it took two months for it to settle and the seller had to refund the cost of new tires plus the buyers atty fees. I didnt think it could happen, but it does.

Posts: 292 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 69dart
posted Hide Post
Bank Checks are fine. I like to go with the buyer to get the bank check or cash - then there is no question its good. If they arent good with that - RED FLAG. You can also call the bank and verify the funds of a bank check are good. This can be tricky and may require research ahead of time. If worried - dont ship or release the car until the checks clears. In network bank checks usually clear within a couple days.

Also use common sense - the scammers usually have tells. They love sob stories and try to make the sale seem URGENT to pressure you into a bad decision. Selling/Buying a car is never urgent - waiting a few days either way shouldnt matter. If it seems to good to be true then it probably is. Look for RED FLAGS.

Posts: 27 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The problem with Law and Order in America is that we need more Sheriffs like Polk County Florida's Grady Judd and far fewer idiots like Los Angeles DA George Gascon. Gascon is a complete waste of DNA and a GREAT friend of every degenerate in the Country.

Bob

Posts: 3075 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 434 olds:
I can tell you from experience do not use pay pal, venmo etc to get paid. I built an engine for a customer last year and he paid me through Pay Pal in December and in February of this year he made a claim to Pay Pal that he didn't get his item. Pay Pal gave him his money back. Pay Pal has become a money grab for people.

Paypal Goods & Services is the one with buyer protection where that can be done. Paypal Firends & Family odesn't have that buyer protection. As little as I know about all of this I have learned that. I called Paypal to verify that. With friends & family it's like Western Union once it's sent and in your account it can't be reversed and no claims can be made.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
As said them going to your bank with cash and you is one of the best ways. Safer, don't want large sums of cash. Deposit it and take out what you need later.

My bank told me they couldn't tell me the money was real until it was deposited they sent it out. I was worried about fake $100 bills. Sounds insane but its true

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
T172JR you need to change banks. That is sad.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Any cash app, Venm, Zelle etc has ZERO recourse for the buyer, Paypal F&F is the same. I have sold a few cars online over the years and been fine. If they choose a bank tranfer or bank check/cashiers check I do not release the vehicle until you have CASH in your hand. It may take a phone call to the bank ahead of time to ensure they have the cash on hand to pay you but I have done this a few times. I will not release the car until I have cash in my hand. The last car I sold through FB the buyer came and saw the car in person and paid me cash. I always carry a counterfeit pen with my as well to check bills on transactions.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 985 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Thank You Al, I've done my research and I've decided to use Paypal Friends & Family. Money is securely in my bank account. Thanks Again!
I know now why there are so many empty bank buildings. Banks are like Sears,K Mart and JC Penney they got lost in the past.