DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Let's Be Realistic - Which would you prefer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's Be Realistic - Which would you prefer
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Beard:
The question presumes that racers that pre-register actually show up to the event. There have been many different events under many different promoters that have suffered a MASSIVE attrition rate, as much as HALF. And again, that's happened to more than one track or promoter! That's absolutely staggering, and virtually insurmountable. It's popular to talk about guaranteed payouts, but there's no such thing as "guaranteed cars". You can't count an entry until it rolls through the gate.

This is one reason why we don't even mess with pre-registration for 64-car shootouts anymore. For whatever reason, people like to have their name on a list. We could announce a Thursday night shootout on Tuesday night of race week, fill it up the same day, and two days later you're hunting 20 alternates. When we do shootouts, they are now first-come, first-serve.

Also, the question notes, "Pre Register so the Promoter knows if they can justify having the race". If a race formet is adjusted or cancelled due to low pre-registration, was it really guaranteed in the first place? That's no different than "Guaranteed Based on XXX amount of Cars".

We do have car minimums in place in case of a natural disaster (ours is spelled out on our flyers, along with noting that R/U, Semi, and all Round Money *is* guaranteed), but we have also paid full boat when the minimum was not met numerous times, added money to the purse numerous times over the years, and raised the purse from year-to-year numerous times due to racer support. When everyone is pulling in the same direction, it is great for everyone.

As a racer, I agree with Ferndale. As long as the minimums are reasonable, it's not a concern for me. I am not a fan of pre-entry. I'll still pre-enter some events, but it can be a real pinch on the wallet sometimes. It wasn't bad when their were just a couple per year, but now there are a huge number of events that want money months in advance -- and I'm not just talking about "big money" races. I'm seeing it on a local level now, too. Maybe I wouldn't care if I was independently wealthy, but I'm not. Cash flow is important. I'd like to pay for "this weekend's" race and "next weekend's" race before having to pay for a race months down the road.

$.02,

This 100000000%

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1401 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I understand the desire for pre-entry for the promoters and I actually like knowing that my entry is paid or partially paid ahead of time but it needs to be reasonable - I think a 50% deposit is enough of a commitment to know which racers are serious about coming, there should be a discount for pre-entering and it should only be expected 30-60 days in advance - I can't afford to lay out for my entire season in March.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
BD104x has the answer

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I remember one SFG race that had one persons name on, I think, 40 entries. Wonder how that worked out?

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hetzler
posted Hide Post
I've entered one race that was a pre entry race, and I wont do it again regardless of how it is set up.

Posts: 525 | Location: Orange County, NC | Registered: September 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
I prefer Guaranteed purse period. cost too much to travel these days to hope enough cars show to pay the purse they put on the flyer that sells you on coming. I don't mind the pre-entry deal when I know for sure I can swing the time off and money. Got to hold to some money and time to race in between.

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I like a tiered payout. I think it works great for racers and the tracks both. End of the day the tracks/promoters are out to make money and that's what it takes to keep the gates open. I've been bit by going to races that had a payout and then at the bottom said based on xx cars. Guarantee something and then go up from there. I've also seen flyers for races that have no car count and doesn't say guaranteed anywhere on it and you can't get an answer if it will be based off a car count or what.

Posts: 25 | Location: K-Town | Registered: June 22, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Guaaranteed with xx amount of cars. Upfront and honestly lets you know w.We plan to have this much payout,but we need this many racers to do it.

Yes having a known amount is great.Its still a business . Its great that some can risk paying big money out even if short on cars and they loose some money and have enough to continue putting races on and make it back later. Some probably can't do that and last long.They need to know they will make money and continue promoting races.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the successful races like the Flings, the WFC, and Loose Rocker that have lasted many years. My only concern if any would be that if they have always made money are they solvent enough to absorb a loss if it happens for whatever reason. Its a slippery slope if not handled right.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Lota Long Winded Post..Whomp Whomp Is Dead On.

Posts: 67 | Location: around and about | Registered: November 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
No car count minimums, race payouts based on amount of entries,NO buy backs, consolation race after X round, payout based on entries.

My .02..

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
No car count minimums, race payouts based on amount of entries,NO buy backs, consolation race after X round, payout based on entries.

My .02..

Dave

X2

Posts: 109 | Location: Florida - Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
would be nice to see an actual race instead of a lottery setting! one driver one car one entry! look at the entries in some races these days some have 4 to seven even more entries! to me an entry is a chance! is it racing or odds these days!! i enjoy just racing but its quickly getting out of hand with the multiple entries!!one group is even adding discounts to the ones doubling! does golf football or baseball give extra shots? throws? or swings?? Nope but bracket racing is quickly going to how many chances one can get!! just the truth!!!

Posts: 30 | Location: calhoun ga | Registered: May 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post