Bracket Talk
So all of this talk about safety.

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/75460652/m/9727015896

April 19, 2022, 01:35 PM
Eman
So all of this talk about safety.
So we've had all of this talk about safety and so far the response has been PSA to wear your safety equipment, a sanctioning body confiscating out of date helmets, and a track saying they are going to fine anyone for removing their helmet and belts before the turnoff. Since then we've had a pretty bad crash in the pits with injuries. Maybe we need to wear our belts and helmets whenever we're in the car.
April 19, 2022, 01:52 PM
1320racer
or maybe, the sanctioning body, promotors and track operators need to enforce the rules and hold people who think they are above the rules accountable.
April 19, 2022, 02:28 PM
Jonesz
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
or maybe, the sanctioning body, promotors and track operators need to enforce the rules and hold people who think they are above the rules accountable.

THIS
April 19, 2022, 03:12 PM
wideopen231
Which sanctioning body is confiscating out of date helmets?

I can see telling me not to have it at track.But taking something I paid for is not going to happen. Can always be used on motorcycle trip for closed face. Yea I know it does not have a dot sticker and not legal, heck broken most traffic lawes and hate to miss one.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.
April 19, 2022, 03:14 PM
Paul S/Q
quote:

bingo...
April 19, 2022, 03:31 PM
SlyFox
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
Since then we've had a pretty bad crash in the pits with injuries. Maybe we need to wear our belts and helmets whenever we're in the car.

I don't wear my helmet when driving in the pits, but I do wear my seat belt, and for exactly the reason of what happened in the pits at Vegas.

Mike
April 19, 2022, 03:37 PM
SlyFox
From the other thread;

"Kevin's truck moved that 4x4 about 50ft. You make the call on what the speed was. Probably could have been avoided by both parties. Truck runs stop sign. Luv probably going to quick.

He didn't have seat belts on as this was the return road from the top of the track coming down into the pits.

He smacked the steering wheel with his forehead which required about 30 stitches and his right lower leg is pretty bad."

Driving that fast (in the pits or anywhere else) with no belts is a poor decision. And the speed limit in the pits at any track I've ever raced at is 25mph, which wouldn't be near fast enough to knock a full-sized crew cab truck another 50ft down the road.

Other questions; did the race vehicle have headlights? Did the driver of the other vehicle have a fair chance to see them going that fast in the dark?

Sad deal all around. I've done stupid too, but geez, it doesn't cost one dime to just be careful and alert.

Mike
April 19, 2022, 05:29 PM
Curly1
Well you have kids racing around on quad runners in the pits and when they hit someone everyone acts like it not their kids fault.......

Those same kids are running Jr Dragsters with all kinds of safety gear and then they get out and go racing around on a quad runner through the pits with no helmet or anything.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
April 19, 2022, 05:44 PM
Big Steve
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Which sanctioning body is confiscating out of date helmets?

I can see telling me not to have it at track.But taking something I paid for is not going to happen. Can always be used on motorcycle trip for closed face. Yea I know it does not have a dot sticker and not legal, heck broken most traffic lawes and hate to miss one.LOL

NHRA gave everyone their helmet back after the race was over or left the event. They just did not want someone to put it back on while in competition is all.
April 19, 2022, 07:28 PM
Canted Valve
quote:

Agh, no glory in that! We need new rules, new requirements, new procedures. That's visible signs of leadership and accomplishment by the current administration. Helps validate and justify their existence.

Illegitimi non carborundum
April 19, 2022, 09:03 PM
BP758
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:

Agh, no glory in that! We need new rules, new requirements, new procedures. That's visible signs of leadership and accomplishment by the current administration. Helps validate and justify their existence.

? What new rules? They are merely enforcing rules already in place. You know as well as I do. People get lazy and lax. Glad to see it.

Raceless in California!
April 20, 2022, 05:31 AM
Bucky
quote:
And the speed limit in the pits at any track I've ever raced at is 25mph, which wouldn't be near fast enough to knock a full-sized crew cab truck another 50ft down the road.

25? Not at any of the tracks around here. I can still hear Ron Leek: 5 mph in the pits!
25 mph impact with none of the crumple stuff that is in modern autos and against a much much heavier vehicle will move that vehicle plenty. And it sounds like he may have been going faster than that. As you probably know, race cars are not friendly inside to unprotected drivers. It messed him up.

I mostly support enforcement of what rules we have. It's a slippery slope into a place we don't want to be without enforcement. I too think that some of the rules need some reasonability when it comes to enforcement. But.....as soon as you go down that road, it opens the door to the wild wild west. Maybe this accident isn't really a horrible tragedy, but maybe a wake up call. What if a bystander or racer were killed in this incident? We are quick to assign black and white blame, but usually there are a handful of contributors. I suspect that is the case here too. This could have been much much worse.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
April 20, 2022, 06:11 AM
1320racer
Just enforce the god dam rules and toss those out on their ass that think they don’t apply to them and problem solved!
April 20, 2022, 07:49 AM
Bucky
quote:
Just enforce the god dam rules and toss those out on their ass that think they don’t apply to them and problem solved!

How would you apply to this most recent incident?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
April 20, 2022, 07:57 AM
pauley
honestly i have seen no change locally regarding safety equipment except for the announcements on their facebooks.

ep
April 20, 2022, 08:18 AM
Bucky
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
honestly i have seen no change locally regarding safety equipment except for the announcements on their facebooks.

ep

I think the reminders are helpful.
In the case of the most recent deal, well, the speed of the racer is up to complete conjecture. he wouldn't even know. Yes, someone either failed to stop or pulled out not seeing. Could congestion and visibility and even lighting part of that equation? I dunno. Maybe. Are we gonna "ban" or kick them out because the rules don't apply to them? C'mon right? Are we going to do the same to the racer based upon questionable perceived speed? How punitive can we and should we make all of this? If folks are intentionally and knowingly disobeying safety or competition rules, well that's more black and white. This isn't aimed at you are anyone in particular.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
April 20, 2022, 08:19 AM
TomR
Safety equipment may be uncomfortable, especially in the summertime, but its their to minimize injuries in case of an accident. Accidents happen quick on the track, and the *hra's rulebooks list the minimum required for certain speeds. Wear the minimum or don't race!!

If you don't care about your own safety, you surely don't give a damn about mine.

72 Nova "Hooptie"
April 20, 2022, 08:37 AM
Eman
Ever wonder why they "enforce" the helmet and the seat belt rules when they want to act like they are safety minded? It's pretty simple it's easy because of the sticker and tag and it's theater. It's a play that gives the illusion that they care about safety.
We all know a 2 week old helmet that's been dropped and banged around isn't as safe as an old helmet that has been cared for. 1 year old seatbelts that have been installed improperly, chaffed and left out in the sun aren't as safe as a 3 year old set installed properly and kept in an enclosed trailer.
April 20, 2022, 08:44 AM
SlyFox
A 2500lb race vehicle going 25mph or less moved a 5500lb full-size truck over 50ft? I'm thinking not.

Mike
April 20, 2022, 09:52 AM
Goob
A spectator vehicle cruising the pits, WHY?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375