Notify
Tools

Piston prices
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted
The price for pistons has gone bonkers!
Recently got a quote from a major piston manufacture for a small block chevy custom made set, now keep in mind they had a program for this particular cyl. head. This quote did not include pins or support rail, just pin clips. So the sales guy quotes me $1660. I say oh that piston is gas ported right ? ...nope that 10 bucks more apiece. should I send in a piston with valve location center punched? that 150, whats the weight? I dunno but it's 300 to get a target weight.
NO wonder the coating business is doing so well these days...lol

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I purchased a lot of products to build a car starting around March of 2021. Since then most of those items are 40-60% higher in price

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
The price I got for my new pistons was a little more than last time I bought them, with the same options. Issue is wait time. I did call a couple of other places that quoted me anywhere from $2500-3500 for the same set.....not sure how they cost that much more when my two places (Gibtec and JE) are a lot less expensive

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
IT ain’t just pistons

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This is the last one i'm doing out of pocket.

I made it good for that reason.

If I can't get someone to give me what I got in it, I'll keep it and find a 4 door Nova to blow everyone's doors off light to light, with it on the street.

What I'd prefer to do anyway.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
A four door Nova with a Pioneer Super Tuner 8 track player.

Shift on the column.

Screaming for Vengeance 8 track

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'll skip what we paid for these and HOW LONG it took to get em! WOW!

Turned a small job into a drawn out hassle.

Glad I did it to live long.

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Shift on the column.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="411" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QOwHzlq-EOI" width="730">[/FLASH_VIDEO]

I have your more door Nova (Police package), and a cassette Super Tuner on a slide mount, IN STOCK, ready for pickup.

Drive it home today.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1662 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:

Shift on the column.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="411" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QOwHzlq-EOI" width="730">[/FLASH_VIDEO]

I have your more door Nova (Police package), and a cassette Super Tuner on a slide mount, IN STOCK, ready for pickup.

Drive it home today.

Photo's? Eek

I'm losing sleep over this,,,, reasonable priced 72 White interior, white paint to match.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I probably really don't want to sell this gem...

78 or 79, can't remember. Original 350 with a set of Gianino ported L-98 heads and Performer Air-Gap, some kind of hydraulic flat tappet cam that was laying around, maybe the old .447" ?.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1662 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I got one lined up. Dude sent me 20 photo's.

It's pretty darn nice actually, black interior, and has a glide in it!

Column shift,,, I LOVE IT! Smile

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Not too shabby, not gonna sleep well tonight.

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Everything is more expensive. 95% is corporations taking full advantage of market conditions. Every major manufacturer’s profits are hitting record highs.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not too shabby, not gonna sleep well tonight.

Is it just me that seems to think you hijack every post with posting shyt?

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
These are prices for a custom blower pistons from Diamond, includes gas ports, pins, support rails and locks etc.

2018, $1512
2020, $1950. these were bought at the heart of covid and they delivered in 4 weeks and saved my azz
Late 2022, $2274 again I received them in 4 weeks after ordering

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Yea I was going to order new pistons. Even with .125 bore increase and 2.5:1 more compression the calculated power increase did not justify the cost. Hell at the prices I was getting I figured I could just tip the jug some when need more power and be a head in the long run.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I got tired of running custom stuff. I know people get parts that require having custom pistons, and I know I have, but it's stressful being at someone (or companies') discretion. You tell them your specs and they give you a price and a date and you're pretty much helpless, they don't care if you miss a race.

I do my very best to try to get standard "off the shelf" stuff now. The money you save by using a cheap oddly bored block and/or weird length rods gets taken away when you try to order pistons.

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post