DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Blood thinners?????
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blood thinners?????
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Before condemning the drag racer these tracks should have medical tech's and EMT's around for others as well if a driver.pit crew member. or a spectator gets cut or injured who's to say they are not on blood thinners and could be attended to at the track .

Posts: 356 | Location: OGLESBY,ILLINOIS,USA | Registered: April 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCDRAGS:
Before condemning the drag racer these tracks should have medical tech's and EMT's around for others as well if a driver.pit crew member. or a spectator gets cut or injured who's to say they are not on blood thinners and could be attended to at the track .

It is almost as if you might question the actual value of a sanction. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
I WAS on Brillinta for a few months a few years ago and NHRA said NO, ANY blood thinner or anti coagulant is a NO GO, period.
I even called our division director, he said absolutely NO racing period, not even Super Street.

But since medical forms aren't needed anymore for most of the classes it doesn't really matter anyway so no need to disclose what you are taking.

https://www.nhraracer.com/cont...eid=46983&zoneid=175

Medical forms are only needed for Level 3 and up.

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I was on Brilinta for a while and had a lot of unpleasant side effects but I don't know if it was from that drug or one of the others I take

No way in the world I would or could race at that time

Now I take Xarelto and Clopidogrel along with some others........No side effects or any other problems....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I work in the Cath Lab, 90% of my patients are on some kind of "blood thinner". I deal with coumadin, plavix, effient, brilinta, eliquis, xarelto, lovenox, heparin every day.

The fact that NHRA supposedly states anti-platelets such as plavix, effient, brilinta are ok, but that coumadin is not, shows their misunderstanding of the situation. Yes, coumadin is a lot "stouter" when it comes to stopping bleeding versus the anti-platelets. Unless, you administer the reversal...Vitamin K. You can reverse coumadin/warfarin, but not plavix, effient, brilinta, etc. It makes zero sense.

The other dumb thing was when you used to have to supply an EKG for your license. That's the dumbest thing in the world. Did they think whoever they had "looking" at that ekg was going to prevent somebody from having a heart attack by looking at it? I've seen absolutely perfect ekg's in folks we send to get bypass surgery. I've seen ekg's that were uglier that Hillary Clinton in the nude and the persons EF was great, and they maybe had some stents but were wide open flowing 100%.

Just don't tell them you're on any of those medications. They can't find out, they don't have a way to.

Posts: 1108 | Location: OklahomaCity,OK | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I visited 2 Cath labs and the first visit is why I’m still here! Amazing technology but I would have rather not learned about it quite like I did.

Thanks to the doctors and nurses that are available in an emergency like I had at around 1 AM !

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Get your license. They don't need to know everything about you....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The bottom of the current physical form says: APPLICANT’S ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF RESTRICTED MEDICATIONS: I state and affirm that I have read and understand the following classifications of medications and/or substances that are not allowed for use by any participant: all blood thinners.

https://www.nhraracer.com/File...and3ProSportsman.pdf

Posts: 715 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
If you look around at any given race, there are more Q-tips (old *******s) than youth...many on medications that would prevent them from racing...just a weekly observation. Go race, have fun, most older racers will never reveal what their current meds are.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
The bottom of the current physical form says: APPLICANT’S ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF RESTRICTED MEDICATIONS: I state and affirm that I have read and understand the following classifications of medications and/or substances that are not allowed for use by any participant: all blood thinners.

The actual wording says "certain blood thinners" not ALL.....but it's clear to me what their intent is and is understandable.

Someone's earlier post about which drugs are not acceptable was clear.....anti coagulants....

I think the term "blood thinners" is a little to generic.....

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
quote:

The actual wording says "certain blood thinners" not ALL.....but it's clear to me what their intent is and is understandable.

Someone's earlier post about which drugs are not acceptable was clear.....anti coagulants....

I agree with you there and NHRA should be more specific about it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
quote:

It says “certain” under section 3 of the license application. If you look at the next page, the physical form, at the bottom of the front it says “all blood thinners.”

Posts: 715 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I'll take your word for it Jaime..

I'm done anyway but NHRA should be more specific and accurate on what they mean and put in print...

DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
For MOST drivers this is a NON-ISSUE because the medical form is ONLY NEEDED for Adv. ET, TD, TS, and Comp, UP to Top Fuel.

Nothing is required for ET, SC, SG, SST, SS, Stk, FSS, and lower.
Meaning all the older guys don't need anything other than to PAY.

Heck, I know guys that had a stint put in on Tuesday and were Bracket racing on Saturday.
Now if you "ASK" the division guys, you know what they will say to protect their BUTT.

Don't ask, don't tell.
Big Grin

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
EXACTLY

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pentastarrail:
For MOST drivers this is a NON-ISSUE because the medical form is ONLY NEEDED for Adv. ET, TD, TS, and Comp, UP to Top Fuel.

Nothing is required for ET, SC, SG, SST, SS, Stk, FSS, and lower.
Meaning all the older guys don't need anything other than to PAY.

Heck, I know guys that had a stint put in on Tuesday and were Bracket racing on Saturday.
Now if you "ASK" the division guys, you know what they will say to protect their BUTT.

Don't ask, don't tell.
Big Grin

I took it as your signature in Section 3 means it applies to everyone.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
No.
If you look on the attached NHRA Application form you will see under each Category LEVEL it will state "No Medical Required" or "NHRA Medical Required".

Only Levels 1, 2, and 3 need Physicals/Medical forms, ALL OTHER CLASSES just Sign and Drive.

Smile

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pentastarrail:
No.
If you look on the attached NHRA Application form you will see under each Category LEVEL it will state "No Medical Required" or "NHRA Medical Required".

Only Levels 1, 2, and 3 need Physicals/Medical forms, ALL OTHER CLASSES just Sign and Drive.

Smile

But if you click on one of the categories in the link you provided, for instance SC, it takes you to the actual license form and in Section 3 is where it lists blood thinners. You must sign that you acknowledge to be able to get a license.

Posts: 6 | Location: Streator,IL | Registered: March 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Rather than trust your doctor to make a decision for you to remain healthy, I guess NHRA is thinking they know better?
Maybe... if you have a need to put up with NHRA BS just forego the meds. I guess they would rather have some racer Stroke Out than be using life-extending, legal medications.
Probably be a better idea to let the racer decide, IMO. If the doctor says you are Ok to take the stress of racing, then that should suffice.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
If the subject is the NHRA, you can always count on jok showing his hard on for them.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post