DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    RT 66 Top Sportsman Final
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RT 66 Top Sportsman Final
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
What does everyone think of that?

Lots of controversy on the internet.

Personally, it looks like a tough call to have to make. Looks like he may have crossed the centerline,but no real proof except a broken reflector from a timing block that may have come off from the header exhaust.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is a bigger issue because it was for a double up and the bonus that comes with it.
Tough way to lose and a tough call to make.

Just trying to have some FUN!

Posts: 51 | Location: Torrance , Ca. | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a link for a video of the finals? Also this is the first time I've seen anyone on the internet comment on this.

Posts: 4 | Location: ? | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Here is a link,but I am not sure if you need to be a Facebook user to see it.

https://m.facebook.com/story.p...920065&id=1139207373

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
With all that was on the line, why in the world would you make a full pass after your opponent red lite? Just saying!

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
S u c k s for sure...hard to say if he saw the red light...

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Good point. But I always look for a win light hoping it's on my side.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of scarab1999
posted Hide Post
i believe the rule states you can touch the line BUT not cross it.

Mr Johnson for the win...congratulations!

Posts: 97 | Location: troit | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I recorded it and did not see the infraction. I’ll go back and look. I believe..... if the tire contacts the stripe you are out. They didn’t show TD ! Full Moon Two Thumbs down

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4503 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Correct, if the entire rear end of the car crosses the center line but the tire doesn't then you are still in. Happened to me in a Bakersfield bracket race several years ago when my opponent got way out of shape in front of me and the rear of her car crosses over the line and of course I lifted. I thought I won and they checked her rear tire marks and no marks on my side of the line. I lost, complained but to no avail. So my point is, did the Top Sportsman exhaust pipe knock off the reflector on the cone......or did his exhaust do it?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
http://www.nhraracer.com/files...imingblockpolicy.pdf

Found this in the rules about crossing centerline and cones.

Just trying to have some FUN!

Posts: 51 | Location: Torrance , Ca. | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Doug Crumlich
posted Hide Post
When I saw the slow motion replay on NHRA AllAccess you can see a wisp if debri come up from the cone

It would be very hard to say that exhaust gasses did it

It really sucks for Lester as he shut off and fought the car from 330 on and did everything he could to keep it under control

It could have been way worse if Don didn’t go red and Lester stayed in it at his speeds

Top Sportsman

Posts: 318 | Location: Irvine,CA,92606 | Registered: December 29, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Communications..... Big Grin

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4503 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I was there Sunday. Anybody know what the major screw up was when they had a FC stuck on the track at about the 800 and the 2 in the box were given the all clear to fire up and they did. Car still stuck on the track. Talking about bad communications. People were WTH are these people thinking.. It might of not been shown.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of sammy christian
posted Hide Post
if the story is that he was off the throttle by that point, which it appears is true, I'm not buying that the exhaust "fumes" did it, likely that the zoomies scuffed the reflector . . . or it doesn't matter how it came off, the fact is that it did come off as a result off the car being near it. The reflectors don't fall off when a Nitro FC gets close so, a TS car off the throttle is going to blow it off? Nah.

6.41@221 (so far)
4.11@178
off the shelf/built it myself

Posts: 82 | Location: Amherst, Ny | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
The video I saw was rather poor quality so I can not be sure. But the rules do say you must cross the line OR IF ANY PART OF CAR HITS TIMING CONE you are disqualified. The reflector was off so they had to stop racing an go put it back on.

So here is my thinking, you have to go by what the track rules at that time and hope for best. Sometimes they will go your way sometimes they will not. Regardless of how they ruled he was too close to the centerline.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
According to the rule, if his headers nicked the timing block, it would be a violation and he would be DQ'd.

That being said, I think that a change in timing block design is in order. The center line rule is obviously in place as a safety measure, however if the timing block does not allow for the car to venture onto the line at all, then it's contradictory. The timing block should only be as wide as the space between the two white lines on the track.

David Deming
1974 Chevy Nova Custom Hatchback
Horsepower Innovations E85 Carb

Posts: 325 | Location: Nampa, ID | Registered: October 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
David D, great point. I hope NHRA reads your post. It's about time and I think the Pro's would agree.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David_D.:
According to the rule, if his headers nicked the timing block, it would be a violation and he would be DQ'd.

That being said, I think that a change in timing block design is in order. The center line rule is obviously in place as a safety measure, however if the timing block does not allow for the car to venture onto the line at all, then it's contradictory. The timing block should only be as wide as the space between the two white lines on the track.
I think they should change it the other way, no part of any car should be allowed to cross the line on thier side. Reason being if both cars crossed (but not fully like the current rules) both cars would collide. Just like the outer wall, you should have to keep your car fully and completely in your own lane.

In this case, some part of the car hit the reflector and broke it, bummer.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Agree with Will. Why NHRA is now so focused on this timing block deal is beyond me? Hit a timing block and you get one year in prison. Are they really expensive or time consuming to replace?

It's not what you've got, it's what you give, it's not the life you choose, it's the life you live.

Posts: 2120 | Location: Napa, California | Registered: December 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post