New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saving pit spaces
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I always go EARLY and usually get a good spot. Got in one time early and was asleep in my motor home that night when someone comes banging on my door wanting my spot. Fat chance. And don't try that rope them off the day before because I will be parking. And at special events there should be no reserved spots. Remember being at VMP years ago and all the rented spots were empty and those of us that came to race were parked in the rocks--not right. You want a spot get up and get there, pretty simple.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
My favorite is when a track sells parking spaces and then doesn't mark the reserved ones and doesn't even have a map of them. Makes for a fun day at the races as you get chased from one spot to another because you got there early and the reserved spot owners got there late.

That is a royal PITA!

Several tracks around here have reserved spots marked. We never know who they are or what days they race, so we don't use them. Not worth getting kicked-out of, not the way to start your day.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
should not be allowed period!! only way to get a spot is with tow rig and trailer!!

Posts: 30 | Location: calhoun ga | Registered: May 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Bakersfield lets it happen, complete b.s, roll in there Friday afternoon 20-30 rv's and the rest is roped off

Posts: 18 | Location: SO-CAL | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets steamed when we show up and have to beg someone to let us park anywhere. Praying

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Yeager
posted Hide Post
I think if its ran correctly, you can save spots. Sally here in D7 / Vegas Million does a great job. She will normally let you save a spot, but the spots are measured out.

If you let the racers do it on their own, they will save a half acre for each car.... normally a complete disaster.

Mark Yeager

Posts: 1380 | Location: Hollister,CA | Registered: April 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Yeager:
I think if its ran correctly, you can save spots. Sally here in D7 / Vegas Million does a great job. She will normally let you save a spot, but the spots are measured out.

If you let the racers do it on their own, they will save a half acre for each car.... normally a complete disaster.

Any sizable race should have someone parking rigs IMO. The space is used much more efficiently. Plus, you don't drive 70' of rig around randomly. Someone in a golf cart who knows the lay of the land directs you where you need to go.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
I've saved spots and had them saved for me. Truth is, I'm uncomfortable saving and having them saved for me and I try to avoid it.

The best way is to have you and your pals arrive at the same time and go in together. You get the spot you want and no one else is put out.

I've had two problems with parking recently. Both not my fault but, I'm old and no longer capable of kicking anyone's a$$. I didn't move so I just put up with it.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I park rigs at NHRA division and national events, and one of the biggest headaches is racers saving spots.
I have done this long enough that I know many of the racers so I remember where they usually park, so I can deal with their needs. The big thing for me is someone that wants to save a spot until the afternoon of the next day. Unless it's your son or dad you're waiting for it's a no go.
I will let racers save a spot for someone who is in line AT THE TRACK and will be coming in shortly.
I consider my job to be customer service and to save a spot for someone who is coming in tomorrow in NOT FAIR to the racer who is there right now.
And,............don't lie to me.

I'm not in a bad mood, I just look that way.........

Posts: 990 | Location: Kingman, Arizona | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Lots of guys save spots...for folks that never seem to show up. If there's a lot of saved spots and a lot of out-of-town traveling racers showing up, sometimes the out-of-towners park their rigs out in the middle of the road, unload all their stuff...2 cars, 2 carts, 2 ez-up canopies, genset(s), fuel jugs, awning, etc, the an hour later, the track owner shows up to tell 'em to park elsewhere out of everybody's way, and the person who decided to park there becomes a jerk, makes the track owner/operator look like a dummy on social media and word gets around that the track owner doesn't want/need the business.

That is the world we live in...unfortunately. I'll gladly give up a saved space if it means getting another rig out of the return road. Have done it many times and never had a problem with it. I park where I can find a spot and could care less where it's at as long as there's enough room to load/unload/etc.

what is also bothersome is another rig crowding. Some of the bigger venues don't have a problem because their spots are clearly marked, but others don't have spots at all, you just go where you can and use some common sense. Unfortunately common sense is not as common as it used to be and there's always going to be somebody park 3 foot away from the side door of the trailer...or someone staying the night who's got an old Coleman tecumseh generator running ALL night long

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post