Find
Notify
Tools

Saving pit spaces
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
What's your tracks policy?

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is a policy. Some people are jerks regardless. I've been to tracks I don't normally go to, and finally just pulled into an empty spot and moved the trash can. A guy gave me all kinds of static. But I couldn't find another spot large enough. So his buddy had to park somewhere else when he got there.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
For out of town races, if the track or promoter states no spot saving then we will meet outside the track and go in together. If they don't make it a policy then we will try to save a spot.

I will take my car to our local track on Friday and park just so I can get the spot I want. I'm a one man show, so I make everything as work friendly as possible. My racing buddies help me and I'll help them as needed.

Bucky, so where did the guy who's spot you took park at? Was his a big rig?
You don't think you were the jerk for moving the trash can and parking there?
Not starting anything, just saying I was a jerk at times for saving spots.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Years ago I towed a friends friends car to a track around here. We circled, and circled, trying to find a spot. Little S15 Jimmy and an Open Trailer, could have put it anywhere. Well, bunch of spots blocked with cones and garbage pails. After the second pass my buddy asks a guy if his friends are coming. He says yep. We circle again. Well, on the next lap my buddies friend gets out, asks once again. He gets told yeah, they are on their way.

Well............ He looks left, looks right, and tells the guy your friends ain't coming. Moves the pails out of the way and we park. Guy is pissed, but my buddies friend is a BIG dude, and connected.......... If ya know what I mean.

Had a good day of racing after that. Wink

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Had same issue with Rhonda Hartmans dad. He wanted spot and told us we would be moving or he would move it for us. Now thats being stupid jerk. Nothing happened,but exampl of how stupid some get.

I don't see anything wrong with reserving spot if there are some empty.If near full then tough shyt,buddy should have made other arrangements.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I don’t have an issue with someone wanting to save ONE extra pit space. When they block off an entire row that becomes a problem, particularly when there are very few, if any spaces left.

I had an issue at one of the local track three years ago when a guy told me I HAD to move (I had unloaded and had everything out of the trailer) because it was his favorite pit space. I moved to the row behind them unloaded a second time only to have him to tell me that all those spaces were saved for his friends and ordered me to move again. Didn’t. Two days of constant harassment, dumping trash in my pit space, etc..

Some folks can’t help being a jack-azz, probably genetic.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong..

I'm not an ass about it.. Just don't come barging in like you own the place.. At least ask.

If the place is full that's one thing although I would place blame on you getting there late yourself.
In both cases above, the buddy did make arrangements, he asked his friend to save a spot.

I've saved spots and then gave them up when people asked, but when they get belligerent, move on dude. Of course my friends were not so happy.
If you are a big ole dude...well lets just say I'm not, but my buddies are.

I've found the ones trying to get you to give up a saved space are more of a jerk that the guy saving the spot. Most times they are likely to get all pissed that the spaced is being saved and feel they have a right to it even though the guy made the effort to get there early enough to find an open area that would allow his buddy to park next to him.

Heck, I've parked at the gate and walked the pits before to find spaces.

How about the track that rents spaces and someone else parks in them.
Or the spectator that parks next to your trailer, either in your pit area or across the rear door so you can't load?
Those you have every right to be an ass about.

Dave
DC1: Don't go off the rails, we are just talking..

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
I don’t have an issue with someone wanting to save ONE extra pit space. When they block off an entire row that becomes a problem, particularly when there are very few, if any spaces left.

I had an issue at one of the local track three years ago when a guy told me I HAD to move (I had unloaded and had everything out of the trailer) because it was his favorite pit space. I moved to the row behind them unloaded a second time only to have him to tell me that all those spaces were saved for his friends and ordered me to move again. Didn’t. Two days of constant harassment, dumping trash in my pit space, etc..

Some folks can’t help being a jack-azz, probably genetic.

Bob

In that instance, I would have gave them back their trash, plus some..

I usually travel with no more than 2 guy's and have one friend who would be late for his own funeral that I will save a space for. We do constantly tease the heck out of him about it though (Jimmy)..

Dave

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
How is someone supposed to know a trash can is being used to save a spot unless the person brings their own trash can that is different than the ones the track has.
Personally I think for one thing if you want to save a spot you should have to buy an entry for that spot then if your buddy never shows up the track gets to keep that money. This would eliminate the people saving spots for people who never show up.
Norwalk is notorious for not being able to find spots on regular race days as everybody is parking on the same side and once I circle through one time I then get an official to take care of the spots that have cones up that way they can’t start **** with me.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
How is someone supposed to know a trash can is being used to save a spot unless the person brings their own trash can that is different than the ones the track has.
Personally I think for one thing if you want to save a spot you should have to buy an entry for that spot then if your buddy never shows up the track gets to keep that money. This would eliminate the people saving spots for people who never show up.
Norwalk is notorious for not being able to find spots on regular race days as everybody is parking on the same side and once I circle through one time I then get an official to take care of the spots that have cones up that way they can’t start **** with me.

Bingo!
I circled around that entire pit for a place as much as I felt comfortable. I didn't know what roads I could get down and get out of. If I paid at the gate, I guess I DO think I am entitled to a place to park. And someone who isn't there yet, has no entitlement for a place to park IMO.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
Don't get me wrong..

I'm not an ass about it.. Just don't come barging in like you own the place.. At least ask.

If the place is full that's one thing although I would place blame on you getting there late yourself.
In both cases above, the buddy did make arrangements, he asked his friend to save a spot.

I've saved spots and then gave them up when people asked, but when they get belligerent, move on dude. Of course my friends were not so happy.
If you are a big ole dude...well lets just say I'm not, but my buddies are.

I've found the ones trying to get you to give up a saved space are more of a jerk that the guy saving the spot. Most times they are likely to get all pissed that the spaced is being saved and feel they have a right to it even though the guy made the effort to get there early enough to find an open area that would allow his buddy to park next to him.

Heck, I've parked at the gate and walked the pits before to find spaces.

How about the track that rents spaces and someone else parks in them.
Or the spectator that parks next to your trailer, either in your pit area or across the rear door so you can't load?
Those you have every right to be an ass about.

Dave
DC1: Don't go off the rails, we are just talking..

It can't be both ways Dave. Shame on me for not getting there sooner....or shame on your buddy who you are saving for, for not getting there sooner.
I will say that kinda steamed me. There were I bet 20 spots "being saved" and nothing else open. At one point I just about went back to the gate to tell em to either find a spot with the golf cart or give me my money back since they were obviously sold out of space.

It was at tri state, which is not a usual place for me. What made it even harder is that the lights were off when we got there. Pitch black. We get parked and set up, and on come the lights. LOL.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Now as for reloading and moving ,not happening. Sorry for your luck or your buddy.

I try to get along and work with other,but being pushed means you have no respect and you get non back.

I also don't see being a a$$ about it if there are other spots available. Old saying early bird gets the worm.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Now as for reloading and moving ,not happening. Sorry for your luck or your buddy.

I try to get along and work with other,but being pushed means you have no respect and you get non back.

I also don't see being a a$$ about it if there are other spots available. Old saying early bird gets the worm.

I was asked once to reload and move so his buddy could park next to him. I looked at him and said sure, NEXT WEEKEND!

I had someone pull their street car right up to my closed ramp door. Obviously I couldn't open the trailer to get the car out. Was announced over the PA to move it. Well, I waited 10 minutes, no one comes, so I drop the ramp door on top of their hood!

Well, no someone comes running biotching at me for doing that. I asked them if they heard the PA announcement, they said yeah, but they wanted to park their car in the shade! He moved it far away!

I wonder, 15 years later or so that same trailer (recently) had all four tires slashed.......... I doubt he held a grudge that long. Smile

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Here in D7 they save spots. But they never seem to save the bad spots, only thelarger spots with easy in and out and perfect pavement. Some will block off an entire row, like Bob stated. I say if you insist on saving a spot, you should save a spot in the dirt.

It's not what you've got, it's what you give, it's not the life you choose, it's the life you live.

Posts: 2120 | Location: Napa, California | Registered: December 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
One local track here states in bold print NO SAVING PIT SPACES! but they don't enforce it and it's ignored by the racers anyway. This is a source of many near fights. Another local track sells seasonal pit spaces for the local racers, but that causes problems too, when non-locals are unaware of the reserved spaces or the locals don't show and you have reserved spots sitting empty all day.
I used to try to save a spot or two for buddies but no more- not worth the bad feelings.
Seems to me if you and your buddies want to pit together they'd better roll in together.
I don't see an easy solution to this if you're not an MMA fighter.

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
It all comes down to common courtesy and many do not have that any longer. Some people get off on being the head of a Richard.

Look, I do not care if you save a spot but do not save 20 spaces for people who may never show up.

Save ONE space no problem. I often will go to a track on Friday to test before the Saturday race. I have got there at 6:00 in the afternoon and all of the spots are saved! WTF? Then the people never show up. Rude.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4011 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

It can't be both ways Dave. Shame on me for not getting there sooner....or shame on your buddy who you are saving for, for not getting there sooner.
I will say that kinda steamed me. There were I bet 20 spots "being saved" and nothing else open. At one point I just about went back to the gate to tell em to either find a spot with the golf cart or give me my money back since they were obviously sold out of space.

It was at tri state, which is not a usual place for me. What made it even harder is that the lights were off when we got there. Pitch black. We get parked and set up, and on come the lights. LOL.

Sure it can Bucky..lol

Basically what I was saying was I'll only save my buddy a spot for as long as I can without causing an issue.

I understand why you got hot and I've been in the same place. That's why I like to get to the track as early as possible. Keeps my blood pressure in check..

Usually at the bigger races they will have someone parking, just to prevent issues like this. That's the ones I was talking about where we waited to get everyone together before going in.
At my local track myself and friends have parked early in the morning the day before the event and left my trailer over night just to park where I wanted. But it seems a lot of the other regulars are catching on so I still miss getting my spot.

I'll stick with what I said, a little politeness goes a lot further than being an ass..lol

Dave

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll stick with what I said, a little politeness goes a lot further than being an ass..lol

In all parts of life! I wish I could get to races sooner. But my life dictates that I really can't justify that time. The boy's sports and both my wife's and my career always seem to mean you only get the time you NEED. Not the time you want. Nonetheless....if I pay I ought to be able to park. I actually considered just parking right in the road. I imagine they would find me a spot by morning. LOL.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
My favorite is when a track sells parking spaces and then doesn't mark the reserved ones and doesn't even have a map of them. Makes for a fun day at the races as you get chased from one spot to another because you got there early and the reserved spot owners got there late.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
My favorite is when a track sells parking spaces and then doesn't mark the reserved ones and doesn't even have a map of them. Makes for a fun day at the races as you get chased from one spot to another because you got there early and the reserved spot owners got there late.

So true, and so easy to avoid by a track too. Sometimes it's the simple stuff that makes a day enjoyable.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo