DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Can Some One Explain this to me?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can Some One Explain this to me?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You have a son to be proud of. Big Grin

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
This is certainly one of those areas where making blanket statements is a slippery slope. Throwing out the word "privileged" is inherently insulting. It implies that the individual has not earned what he has. OK. So should nobody Ed's kid's age be racing? Should there be no jr dragster class to introduce another generation into the sport? Should nobody go to college unless they pay for all of it on their own? At some point, we are telling Ed what he should and should not spend his money on. If he wants to put his kid through school, or stick his rear in a competitive dragster, or start him off in jr's, isn't that his right to do?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
This is certainly one of those areas where making blanket statements is a slippery slope. Throwing out the word "privileged" is inherently insulting. It implies that the individual has not earned what he has. OK. So should nobody Ed's kid's age be racing? Should there be no jr dragster class to introduce another generation into the sport? Should nobody go to college unless they pay for all of it on their own? At some point, we are telling Ed what he should and should not spend his money on. If he wants to put his kid through school, or stick his rear in a competitive dragster, or start him off in jr's, isn't that his right to do?

Take a chill pill, I was just having a little fun!

Posts: 2963 | Location: Boon Docks, FL | Registered: March 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
and not the Firebird too? Razz

Sure he's privileged as are all these kids that raced in juniors and then made the transition to a full size dragster. He's a great, smart, young man that I am proud to call my son. Graduated from Penn Sate last year with a 3.8 GPA and now is working full time in NYC. He's met or exceed every expectation we set forth for him and he's a conservative Republican too. Wink

No drugs, tats, piercings, etc. Knows he's male and is happy he is.

I hope to be just like him when I grow up. Big Grin

Sounds like your wife did a great job. Wink Big Grin

Posts: 2963 | Location: Boon Docks, FL | Registered: March 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
she did and still does.

quote:
If he wants to put his kid through school, or stick his rear in a competitive dragster, or start him off in jr's, isn't that his right to do?

of course it is and I did put him through school same as I'm doing for my daughter now. That's what good parents do, they want their kids to be bettered prepared for everything in life, that's what people with a life plan do, that's what people who sacrifice for their kids do, that's what people who don't live from pay check to pay check do. That's what people who aren't waiting for a handout do. The rest are counting on someone or the government to bail them out because they didn't think about their or their families future, they have a history of making bad decisions or just didn't care.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trans Lady:
quote:

Take a chill pill, I was just having a little fun!

No excitement from me. Just responding to your statement. I had no way to tell that what you said wasn't what you meant.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
of course she meant what she said until trying to walk it back after getting called out for it.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
of course she meant what she said until trying to walk it back after getting called out for it.

I was just giving you the definition of the word "privileged" by comparing your son to the young man working his way through college.

And I don't have a problem with how you spend your money or how anyone spends their money.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have a problem with people expecting handouts funded by MY money, because they made bad life choices, and didn't plan for anything while they lived from check to check. Tired of hearing about people that are unemployed for a few weeks, tired of hearing they can't pay their rent or mortgage. I'll bet at least half the can't are really won't, they are waiting for a handout and/or forgiveness.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tired of hearing about people that are unemployed for a few weeks, tired of hearing they can't pay their rent or mortgage. I'll bet at least half the can't are really won't, they are waiting for a handout and/or forgiveness.O'IT!

we saw a bunch of these posts locally on facebook...claiming they are starving,cant feed their kids etc...we contacted all of them and offered work from cleaning to paperwork etc...offered 100 bucks a day plus...not one of them came down and took us up on the offers

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
not surprised. We already know that when the country is reopened, there are many that will not return to work because they are making more with the handout and unemployment.