DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    where is racer heaven in the usa?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

where is racer heaven in the usa?
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
My decision as to where I live was based on the climate and the community because I spend 100% of the time living IN that area. When you break down how much actual time you spend racing it's a fraction of that total time so it becomes less of a factor. 58 years ago I decided to move my family here from Reading Pennsylvania, there were race tracks everywhere. Today most of them are gone so unless you don't mind a long tow Southern California is a great place to live, (politics not withstanding).

If you have never been to San Diego, invest a few dollars, hop on a plane and come visit the area. Contact me if you do, my number is in the phone book. Maybe you'll like it, or maybe you won't it's worth the effort.

Sorry for the lengthy rant.

Bob

Posts: 3080 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
In the 1950’s my maternal side grandmother and aunts and family’s all moved to So. California. San Diego area. I used to see the postcards from them and hear about how well they did out there and wondered why the heck we’re still in NJ ! Perfect weather, good jobs and they stayed out there all their remaining years. My aunts lived to well into their 90’s and one made 100. My mother moved to Florida in 1986 and lived to 96. Warm weather is good for old bones !

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Raised in Ohio, moved here @10 years old. Spent summers in Hodgenville Ky on the ranch. Family still has it. Was thinking maybe move there. Have family through Ky, Tenn and Bama. If my CFO agrees!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4481 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
It's NOT South Florida!! LOL!!! Racing all year is cool, but summer is for the brave to suit up in. Our main track just closed, rumors are that another is being built not far from there but I'll believe it when I pull in the gates for the first time.

We just bought land in Julian, NC. We have family close by, 90% of the year the weather is great, and the racing opportunities are un matched. The kids stopped counting at 22 tracks within a 2-2 1/2 hour drive!! Piedmont has been our home away from home track for years.... now it's 1.1 miles door to door! A snowbirds life for me!

Posts: 1183 | Location: Lake Worth, Fla. U.S. | Registered: August 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You coming up here near your Brother? Pretty darn close to me anyway

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenny Anderson:
It's NOT South Florida!! LOL!!! Racing all year is cool, but summer is for the brave to suit up in. Our main track just closed, rumors are that another is being built not far from there but I'll believe it when I pull in the gates for the first time.

We just bought land in Julian, NC. We have family close by, 90% of the year the weather is great, and the racing opportunities are un matched. The kids stopped counting at 22 tracks within a 2-2 1/2 hour drive!! Piedmont has been our home away from home track for years.... now it's 1.1 miles door to door! A snowbirds life for me!

I’ve raced at Piedmont 3x, Galot 2x and Rockingham 2x in the past 4 years. 900 to 1000 mile drives for me. If I could relocate, I would choose same as Kenny.

Posts: 2448 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I think for racing heaven, sounds like NC. is winning hands down!

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2521 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
So how does the personal property tax work? How is that enforced? Seems like a crazy tax. My wife wants to move to SC or NC.

Posts: 109 | Location: Florida - Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I like Northeast Iowa. This summer we raced for $50,000 three times, $11,000 four times, $7,000 nine times, $5,000 six times and this is within 110 miles of where I live (Cedar Falls, Waterloo area). Drive 3 hours and you have Byron Dragway- $100K race, $5000/$3000 several times each summer and a "soon to be revitalized" Cordova Dragway about 3 hours away.

Race your a_ _ off all summer then park everything and head for Florida for the winter, do some fishing, golf, R&R from racing so darn much. (It gets REAL COLD in Iowa in January and February)
Very affordable cost of living, a great Governor and very, very little crime.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
I like Northeast Iowa. This summer we raced for $50,000 three times, $11,000 four times, $7,000 nine times, $5,000 six times and this is within 110 miles of where I live (Cedar Falls, Waterloo area). Drive 3 hours and you have Byron Dragway- $100K race, $5000/$3000 several times each summer and a "soon to be revitalized" Cordova Dragway about 3 hours away.

Race your a_ _ off all summer then park everything and head for Florida for the winter, do some fishing, golf, R&R from racing so darn much. (It gets REAL COLD in Iowa in January and February)
Very affordable cost of living, a great Governor and very, very little crime.

I raced at Mid America 5 or 6 years ago & got a couple of wins. I think the track has been sold & re-named now. Anyway, we had a great time besides the nasty thunderstorm one night. Then we continued on to race in MI.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2521 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
They tax your car etc on its book value and has to be paid to get tags. We got a new Honda CRV in 2017 and first year property tax was about $550. It goes down every year but is never done.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the highway use tax. It just cost me $360 to put a title in my name for a Harley I just bought that was a 2014.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Wildman
posted Hide Post
another vote for Tennessee, I would be there in a heart beat if it was in the cards.

Posts: 109 | Location: at a dragstrip near you | Registered: April 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WILDMAN:
another vote for Tennessee, I would be there in a heart beat if it was in the cards.

Yes. And definitely a much better fit than NC for Ed. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
They tax your car etc on its book value and has to be paid to get tags. We got a new Honda CRV in 2017 and first year property tax was about $550. It goes down every year but is never done.

There's a fella that lives just across the river in IA who has a place on the Illinois side. Registers his cars in Illinois. He has some expensive cars. LOL.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6380 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Bucky check your PM

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
You coming up here near your Brother? Pretty darn close to me anyway

Hey Fern!! Yessir my sister is over in Efland about 30 min away. I lucked into this property but wanted to be a lil ways away from her. She is close to Chapel Hill and land there is $$$$$ plus Orange Co looks like a PITA to deal with. So far Guilford has been pretty good.

As far as the tax situation, there are better states. BUT! NC is where we want to be and as a Snowbird I'll maintain residence in Florida. Property taxes are low enough I'm not worried about homesteading our NC place.

Posts: 1183 | Location: Lake Worth, Fla. U.S. | Registered: August 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post