Find
Notify
Tools

Crossville Dragway
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Closed?

Posts: 521 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Yes, closed last week not renewing lease.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I only raced there once. It was an awesome track and I was looking forward to going back more often. I don’t understand why the car counts weren’t better there? Somebody said it was because they woudnt guarantee the purse for a bracket race. I can’t imagine a place this nice shutting down for good, would be really sad if nobody picks up the lease. Heck, if I was a little closer i might try to give it a go just so it doesn’t rot away

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Operator posted lease was 10k a mo, do the math. Old story they sunk a fortune into a country track with unrealistic expectations. Place used to be busy for what it was.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
$10K a month is a dream as far as making money, now if you need a tax write-off it has potential.
I spent 17 years leasing and owning dragstrips in Iowa. Some days you make money, every day it is stressful and a lot of work. $10K a month would have bankrupt me in about two months.

There is not enough profit in bracket racing to pay for facility upkeep, let alone salaries, profit for investment, etc: not counting the Super Big Bucks races, but those promoters own no facility.

Hate to see any track close but the weak go away and the strong survive (I hope).

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
For those that don't know the track it.s a really nice facility. It's right alongside I-40 near Crossville. The track was a decent track and the new owners leveled the place and completely built the place from scratch. They invested a crazy amount of money but never really operated it well. They leased it out and I think this is the 2nd time it's closed down since the rebuild.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It all comes down to management. A lot of tracks have some of the most p--- poor management and wonder why they don't make $$$$$ or very little. Then there is the opposite, not so great facilities but are money makers. I raced Crossville a few times and was impressed with the facility. The race was run a little funky but no issues. However, I also raced at US 60 in Hardinsburg, Ky. This track is a throw back to the 60/70's and is nowhere near Crossville in facility quality. US 60 has a great manager, knows her market and supportive racers. A really fun place to race. Management has to know the market, the racers and what works. I also raced quite a lot at Ohio Valley, similar in facility to Crossville but fantastic management. Go figure why US 60 and Ohio Valley have supportive racers. Im sure there are many similar stories out there.

I hope Crossville survives and becomes a successful operation. Management need to look in the mirror and see if they have what it takes, if not bring in a manager who knows how to run a track. RANT OVER

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post