Find
Notify
Tools

Jeg's Allstars
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Cazman
posted
I would consider myself an avid NHRA supporter and pretty much don't have a choice out here on the West coast but they keep enhancing our experience. Lol I found out about this on Saturday and thought it was ridiculous.

22nd Annual Route 66 NHRA Nationals JEGS Allstars Participants

On Wednesday May 29th, all participants in the Top Alcohol Dragster, Top Alcohol Funny Car, Comp Eliminator, Super Stock, and Stock categories participating in the JEGS Allstars are required to complete Technical Inspection and should come to the event with one cylinder head removed and ready for inspection. All participants in Super Stock and Stock are required to come to the NHRA Tech Trailer for their technical Inspection. Comp Eliminator, Top Alcohol Dragster and Top Alcohol Funny Car Tech Inspection will be done in your pits
The Tech inspection process will begin at 9:00 am (Central Time)

Nice way to thank the racers in these classes for earning the right to compete against each other in this prestigious event that the Jeg's family so graciously puts on for us. Some will be traveling over 2000 miles to participate. I'm pretty sure our D7 team just lost our blocker and our Stock and Super Stock reps.

Steve Casner

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Posts: 455 | Location: Sheridan, CA USA | Registered: August 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I read on Classracer that this has been standard operating procedure for quite some time.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3154 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I for sure remember pulling a head in 04 for the stocker. Standard deal for many years as far as I know.

Shane Carr

"Sugar Shane"

Posts: 119 | Location: No clue | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Cazman
posted Hide Post
Yes, It was a standard deal until I think 2016 when they changed it. Somebody on here should know what year the change was made.

I'm all for tech inspections and making sure everyone is legal but in this case it's an ass ache that doesn't need to be implemented at this race. If a heads up race occurs during the Allstars then we probably need to look a little closer.

Steve Casner

Posts: 455 | Location: Sheridan, CA USA | Registered: August 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Now if they were pulling heads on the Super class cars it would be cause to *****.
Little extra on the line for this race so NHRA figures to put a little fear of cheating right up front...
jmho

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who packed up and went home one time because he didn't want to pull a cyl head Roll Eyes

Posts: 2109 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Yeager
posted Hide Post
I've always enjoyed the performance classes, but will probably never run one with NHRA. I'm all for tech, but I'd let them run without the tear down. If someone starts dominating, then tear them down....

Mark Yeager

Posts: 1380 | Location: Hollister,CA | Registered: April 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Seemed to change when administration changes. I support it personally. The die hard performance S/SS racers won’t have an issue with it. If anything there has been a lack of inspections. I do realize They don’t have as many inspectors as in the past.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
I know a guy who packed up and went home one time because he didn't want to pull a cyl head Roll Eyes

Did he get some beach time too?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
It was S.O.P. in Stock and Super Stock for years. A STD. tear down is one head off. Goes back to the earliest days and the old school guys are usually in favor of it. Same thing when setting a record and they can even go further. At Indy some years, they wanted the pan off and a piston out.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
This announcement is one of the best and most proactive things NHRA has done in several years. Stock and SS are performance based classes and should have stricter tech than the .90 classes.

NHRA has become too lax on tech the last couple years, reinstituting a few tear downs will help to keep the integrity in stock and SS. You’d really notice this if you’ve seen the tear down barn at Indy the last few years. More tech will help keep everyone honest and prevent blatantly illegal stuff.

Posts: 27 | Location: Illinois | Registered: March 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Cazman
posted Hide Post
I have absolutely no issue with tear downs and strict technical inspections but you don't implement this at the Jeg's Allstars 3 weeks before the race. Announce it and let everyone know for next year so people can be prepared for it and decide if they want to chase the Allstar points. I'm sure Justin Lamb, who was/is going to be our D7 Stock and SS Allstar will most likely pass now and we will be looking for a replacement. So now we get to go down the line of points earners and ask them if they want to be the Allstar and oh by the way, pull one head off before you start your 2000+ mile drive to Chicago and get there a day early with a head off for inspection. This should be done at a local division race before the Allstars and have the engine sealed.

And yes I have run Super Stock and refused a teardown once with a sealed engine and was suspended a year for it. Big Grin

Steve Casner

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Charlie Allen
posted Hide Post
Hey Cazman................
Where is that Elco from waaaay back in the fun days of SST?? Dave ? in the Duster, big wheelie car, Carl ? in another Mopar, Les in Pinky, good times.....

"Mourning the loss of Auto Club Dragway in Fontana"............RIP

Posts: 532 | Location: Sunny SoCal | Registered: March 07, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Oh you mean when racing was fun Charlie?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Maybe the NHRA should create some sanctuary divisions.Just like sanctuary cities,those with illegal status would be welcome.

Tearing down for the Jeg's All Star race is nothing new.It's not like they are pulling pistons.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
I can certainly understand how the timing of the announcement could have been better to give people more time, but in classes like this, cheating absolutely does occur and needs to be checked.

If people don't want to face tear down, get away from class racing.

David Deming
1974 Chevy Nova Custom Hatchback
Horsepower Innovations E85 Carb

Posts: 325 | Location: Nampa, ID | Registered: October 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I was considering stock racing a few years back.Tracy told me forget it Bill,you don't want to work that hard!Nuff said.

Doing my part to raise the average IQ on this board

Posts: 51 | Location: badlands of New Mexico | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
For those racing in Stock or Super Stock at that event, if you are the only car in your specific class, why would that NHRA want to put your engine through tech like that?

Can those competitors switch their class when they arrive? IE: Remove or add weight to move up or down a class?

I can see the Alky stuff being teched like that.

What about Comp? Don't know all the in and outs about them, but I don't think they cad add/remove weight to change their class. Maybe their engine and trans........

Oh well, at least they know NOW that they have to do this instead of getting there and being told THEN!

Good luck to all!

We will be rooting for Ed and Kyle representing Div 1 in Super Comp!

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you run stock or super stock this isn’t anything new

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I hope they get it figured out. Hate to see the Blockers and Qualifiers that worked very hard and drove great to get there.

Raceless in California!