DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Older racers-when do you hang up the helmet??
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older racers-when do you hang up the helmet??
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
As a guy once said, “A man has got to know his limitations”. I think it was some Eastwood guy.

That applies to driving a fast race car as well.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I am 72 ,just drive a slow car. Mostly attend friday night fun drags and Nostalgia events.Don't travel very far either.I don't feel I am not safe but I am not the driver I once was for sure.

Posts: 30 | Location: Southwest IOWA | Registered: March 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
This subject has been on my mind for several years now.
I am 78 and started racing in So. Cal. in 1956 for just a few years and never won a round but had a ball. Resumed bracket racing here in Colorado in 1995 and been hard at it ever since- sometimes running three door cars in one season. My closest friends were my race buddies and I had a great time, even won a few races and a Track Championship. But that was then and this is now. I haven't won a race in years, my race buddies are either dead or just quit and the fun meter is pegged at zero. I can't take the heat anymore so I only race at night or Fall when it's cooler and, face it, when you have no help this is a labor intensive sport, especially when you're a geezer like me.
So all of the above coupled with a lot of expensive breakage lately is making me take a hard look at my devotion to the sport and ask myself if I'm only staying with it out of habit or stubbornness. On the bad days it seems more like an ordeal than a hobby or maybe just a very low paying job with few benefits and a lousy boss (myself). I have to admit I don't even much care if I win or lose a round if I get trapped racing on a hot day, I just want to get the hell out of there.
Anyway I guess this will be my last year at the track, that would be the smart thing to do.

So why did I buy another race car a couple months ago???

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
I decided to take the bull by the horns and focus seriously on physical fitness. Yeah, it's hot outside in the summer, but I don't let that stop me from doing the things I love. Sitting in the house all day SUCKS. I'm 56 - hoping I can race at least another 20 years.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
35 was my magic number. Sold the car last weekend, although I hadn’t raced it in almost 2 years. Between living on a plane or in a hotel and two kids that aren’t getting any younger, the time just felt right. I raced hard since I was 13 (all big cars, no Junior), so I’ve been fortunate to do more and see more than lots of folks out there. I’ll probably be like many of you, and get back into it sometime.

Now I spend the weekends watching my boy play baseball, my daughter play softball, and trying to give a little something back by coaching the local football team (I wish my son played football).

Mikey

Posts: 1706 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Underdog99
posted Hide Post
Money and interest are my limitations at 66. I know I hit better lights back in my 20s but I still have fun. As long as I'm still having fun and can afford it, I'll keep going. My good friend is 70 and just got back in a couple years ago.

Posts: 72 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: October 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
I decided to take the bull by the horns and focus seriously on physical fitness. Yeah, it's hot outside in the summer, but I don't let that stop me from doing the things I love. Sitting in the house all day SUCKS. I'm 56 - hoping I can race at least another 20 years.
Mike, if I'm still around, tell me how you feel about the heat when you're in your 70's!

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:

That's what I'm talking about. I've been a mechanic my whole life no air conditioned desk job and I grew up here in he11 I mean south florida. I'm use to the heat and humidity. Exercise and hydration make life that much easier.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
77 - I quit 2 or 3 times a year but by the next weekend, ready to go again.

Posts: 265 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It's time to get out when you have no disposable income which is money you just don't give a F**K about losing, that money, if's there's any is better spent on children and grandchildren.

Race cars are a moneypit, 95% (very conservative estimate) of racers have never had a profitable season and never will, it's their ego that tells them how good they are and an ego is about the biggest Bullschit artist you'll ever meet!

When I go to the track I have a great time talking with people I know and like and maybe helping with some problems they have, I rarely watch any racing, it's too boring.

Today the old guys aren't that competitive and the young guys don't have the money unless Dad is funding their addiction so it's a catch 22 which is spiraling downward rapidly. Decent races in New Jersey this year will be virtually non-existent, the plugs have been pulled on practically everything except novelty races and test-n-tune so I've heard of guys I've known for years hanging it up, it probably should have been done 5 years ago for most.

Posts: 163 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: March 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ron disposable income can be spent on a variety of things. Golf, boats, fishing, motor cycles, going to sports events, drinking, smoking, a Rolex, travel, etc. I do none of the above and would be bored stiff if it wasn't for my racing. I do some travelling because my companion wants to and it is only fair but as long as I can go to the track and, as you say, I don't run out of money I'll keep going. I must add that health could put a stop to me also. I was working on removing my motor yesterday to replace headers---sure takes a lot longer these days. But it is all good and I hope everyone including my self know when the time has come to hang it up.

Posts: 6203 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
After all these years my “Passion meter” is still on high but I have to admit it has taken some very creative financial planning to keep going. I work side jobs in the garage to fund my racing ventures. None of our normal monthly (Social Security and retirement) income goes toward the race car, it’s all side job income money.

It’s very difficult to justify the annual expense of racing at NHRA events and tracks, the membership, competition licensing, chassis certification and Sfi updates make it harder to compete every year. I know that eventually NHRA and the ever escalating entry fees will financially force me out of the sport. Personally I don’t need to race for a million dollar purse that’s tied to a $600+ entry fee, for some that’s perfectly acceptable, just not me. Even the “Association” fees are outside my affordability, I would be happy to race for a $50, or $100 purse than not be able to race at all. Frankly I wish they would take a second look at what they are charging, none of us are getting any younger and as a result the car counts have been slowly dropping to a pathetic number. I am not, nor have I ever been, a member of the elite racing crowd for me it about enjoying the sport not trying to pay off the house.

I realize that I get the usual hate mail over this, but this is the “limitation” I mentioned in an earlier post.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
45 years ago Fremont Raceway, won my first race on a Honda 750. 62 now and it’s been so cool! Door cars, Front engine dragsters, rear engine dragsters and now a Stocker. Like doing wheelies in ur recliner! It is a blast! TS is fun and I really enjoy racing with Jeff. The crew chief roll is a little demanding but very rewarding too. I love delelopment and tuning. When it gets boring I’ll stop but right now it’s pedal down!
Can I afford it? Prob not but that never stopped me!!
Good luck to the old timers here!

Happy New Year! Not worthy

Barry

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4489 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
something else I think I have in my favor here in the East. Lots of tracks close by. I raced NHRA up till the early 70s then started just bracket racing but also chasing the added purse races. First added purse race I ever attended was in Ohio and paid $2000 to win, went to Byron, Ill, Moroso, the million once, then stared foot brake racing. Went to first 20k foot brake race in Huntsville and many similar races since....I won more than a lot of people but came nowhere near winning as much as I spent but I never spent the house payment and had more fun than should be legal. Been retired now for almost 18 years, don't race as much, but still can afford it and enjoy my time at the track. Got 8 tracks less than 100mi away which helps. Carry on folks.

Posts: 6203 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
I've always said as long as i feel competitive i will keep going.my first pas in 19 should be 220 plus.66 years OLD.the stock market may change my plans.lol

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mopar Traitor:
77 - I quit 2 or 3 times a year but by the next weekend, ready to go again.

Don, You are an inspiration to all of us younger guys. You got 17 years on me and still kicking tail. You are not quitting anytime soon.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4000 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bruce, sure hope I can make a few more, still enjoy it but the fact is I know that I am living in those dog years now where one year equals 8 to 10. lol

Posts: 265 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Ciglar:

Race cars are a moneypit, 95% (very conservative estimate) of racers have never had a profitable season and never will, it's their ego that tells them how good they are and an ego is about the biggest Bullschit artist you'll ever meet!

Who gets into racing (ANY KIND OR TYPE OF RACING) thinking they will ever profit or break even? People who just can't do basic math I guess?

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post