DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Older racers-when do you hang up the helmet??
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older racers-when do you hang up the helmet??
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
As im getting older I feel I can almost countdown the number of seasons I have left to race barring any illness or death.
With this in mind,ive always wondered when is it time to stop racing even if you pass the physical and feel good?
I know most people are going to reply if you pass the physical and feel good,keep going until you cant do it anymore,but im wondering if that's the correct answer.I don't think nhra has a retirement age its just basically passing the physical.
I have noticed there is a lot of guys in their 70's that are still racing but once you hit 80 that number seems to drop substantially.
I was at a race last year and saw a couple guys in their mid to late 70's strapped in their car in the lanes,95-100 degree heat,full fire suits on and I have to say they did not look well.

If you where lined up to race a low 6 second car and the guy in the other lane is 90 years old,do you say thats awesome,all the power too him? Or are you freaked out wondering if something goes wrong at 200 mph.
Sure anything can happen but at an older age i think those odds increase.

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
In your case 10 years ago....

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

Posts: 473 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Karamesines Is 80 something and running 300 mph. While not competitive most of the time he is doing what he has always loved. IMO if you can make safe pass down track I would rather have ege and experience in other lane than young ,dumb and of ego.Not that all youngster are just saying old guys have experience and more likely to lift early if shyt is happening.

I do agree that the end seems to be getting closer at a point and you feel limited as to how long you can play this game.

Look at it like this you have experience to teach younger how to do it right.IMO passing that on is best thing one can do for the sport.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Well...I'm no where near 90,LOL(64)but things have changed a lot since I started 39 years ago.The worst thing is I don't have that "killer" attitude I used to have years back.The other part is I know I can't drive (hit the tree or drive the stripe)like I used too,my eyes aren't what they were.That being said,still love to try and very fortunate the wife loves it too.It IS tougher to deal with heat and cold than before,overall don't know how much longer I'll go at it.Don't hunt,fish,play golf,so what to do?I have a great car,thanks Takash Racecraft,everything paid for,plenty of extra stuff...I guess it boils down to desire to compete and how bad you want it. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dtye,

Posts: 106 | Location: Indy | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of muggs
posted Hide Post
Logical question.

I just retired this year, looked forward to free time to spend on car. Since I am older, everyone else in my generation is. 30 days after retirement, Brother in law passes. Have to take 4 months to sort disabled Sister in law affairs. It seems like the "free" time keeps getting used up everywhere but car.

I just spent more time on car in last few weeks than I have in last 3 years. We also bought small RV and it helps a lot. Rain delay I can take a nap.

I am slowing down a bit. Some is using more patience, some is stiffness and muscle aches.

The desire to compete is still as strong as it ever was. As long as I can hit tree somewhat and drive I will run. By this point in my life bracket racing was to be obsolete, I am glad I still have opportunity to compete.

I am one of the slower cars, I really have no fear of the other car. My 93 MPH with a blower car going by at 160 in 1/8 mile does not bother me at all.

I know of no older guys that race that are not capable.

Posts: 3079 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My pops is 68, been retired since 60. I thought he was done for awhile there until he was retired. Then he got back into it with a new car, brand new trailer and motorhome. I think hes got another 10 years left in him. My son is 2 and I think he would like to keep going at least until my son turns 8 and I start letting him race.

Posts: 593 | Location: West Chester, PA | Registered: September 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
When I can no longer compete at a high skill level, and become a danger to my self and others that will be the time for me to step aside.
Until then buckle up schockel UP jump through the door AIR BORNE DADDY GONA MAKE ONE MORE.

Posts: 70 | Location: CINCINNATI OHIO | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Here in Texas it is the heat that makes it so brutal. For me at some point you have to say it is just not as much fun to deal with the heat.
We do race for the fun of it after all.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4017 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I didn't handle heat well when 23 and at 53 no change.Thats why they make spring and fall.During summer I might get out a cpl times but its doubtful. Been to Texas great place but heat does suck.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
As im getting older I feel I can almost countdown the number of seasons I have left to race barring any illness or death.
With this in mind,ive always wondered when is it time to stop racing even if you pass the physical and feel good?

When you reach Boot Hill !!

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
The heat is what hurt me in my younger days of Kart racing. Bad heat stroke. I have never been so sick in my life. I figure i would take it to the end. Haven't been out to much in the past 2 years due to severe leg and ankle cramps. Too many times sitting in staging>> Take me back.. BUT next year, I'm going to try the deal with the Pickle Juice.
It has had good results sleeping.Having Alopecia at a young age and thought i was invincible,not wearing a hat was my demise.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
There have been quite a few men that died making a pass. I hope I'm one of those. It's so Hot

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
There is no question that some skills and eyesight diminish with age. Also the heat seems to be a lot rougher now than ever before. All of that said if it's still fun why not keep doing it? I wouldn't have any problem with running a street car in Sportsman class if I felt my skills weren't up to a faster speed. I actually think that would be more fun and better bang for the buck.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
At any given race anywhere across the country, more than half the field is in cars they shouldnt be in driving over their head just oblivious to their own lack of talent and common sense. How are they supposed to know when to quit driving if they never should have been in the first place? Point is, drag racing is the only motorsport in existance that requires money and no skill to get behind the wheel and racetracks need some sort of a way to verify the talent matches the et it shouldnt be up to the driver to decide what he feels like or wants to be driving. Connie Kalitta cant be everywhere at once he's not god.

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Chip Horton
posted Hide Post
For me starting drag racing was the hardest. I show up on crutches, NO hand controls, and one leg ready to race. The track would not let me race. They said I had to have hand control. I show up for several weeks, still will not let me race. Finally, I got a chance to race. First three races two firsts and a second place! You hang the helmet up when you are a danger to yourself OR others!!!

FIRST INDUCTEE DRR "LEGENDS HALL OF FAME" www.handhatvridepark.com
My favorite track to race at, is one with "LOTS" of chevys!! WORLD CHAMPION, Division Champion, Race of Champions, 29 Time Track Champion. Have won a NEW Car, Motorcycle, Enclosed trailer!!!

Posts: 516 | Location: Jesup Ga | Registered: February 07, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Every year same goals--get to the track, win a round, and win a race. Every year same goal. I will be 78 this coming season and did all of the above last year so will be out there as usual this season. See you somewhere maybe as I don't go anywhere in particular any more and just might show up at your track.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Lucky Scott Hudson
posted Hide Post
I think I got another 20 good years.

Posts: 1199 | Location: So Cal | Registered: March 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I,ll let you know when I get there. Relaxing

Doing my part to raise the average IQ on this board

Posts: 51 | Location: badlands of New Mexico | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Dad just went through this. He's been fighting it for quite a few years, and I mean fighting. It's not safe for him to drive a race car anymore in that diabetes is taking his eyesight among other things. He still runs the truck down the strip sometimes but as far as driving the race car, it's always someone else driving it now. He's 78.

Good friend of ours gave it up a year ago. Died about a month ago. 86 years young and up until about 8 months ago, he still did ALL of the work on the car himself, with zero help. I hope that when I get that age I can do half of what he could.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I hope to race for as long as I can...I am 71 now and bracket race a slow door car going 6.50's...I tow it on an open trailer with my Yukon...a buddy helps me undo the straps and Space Coast Speed and Custom built and maintains the car...

I do not race from June to the end of September...just to hot down this way...I footbraked all my life but am now on my third event this week leaving off the button on the bottom...I hope to try top bulb racing in 2020...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post