DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Best dish or cable?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best dish or cable?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
AZ whats your monthly bill? I still have a giant dish from the early ninetys. It is still up but the chicken screen wire fell off the structure. I wonder if it still would work Smile
Mine stays right around $90-$100 but you have to call every 6 months or so for more discounts after your 2 year contract runs out.
I have Hopper 3 and 2 wireless Joey's and an RV unit. I have the 250 package but no HBO or extra sports packs.
There is nothing of value on the big old C band dishes. You can still get wild feeds but no one sells programming packs.
If you decide to go Dish, let me know as I can get both of us a $50 discount but it has to be done before you call for hookup. They supply you with a dish and install plus any equip. you want.

Posts: 109 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ohio_dragracer:

"Terrarium TV" is one app and "Mobdro" is another.
TerrariumTV is dead as of yesterday.

Posts: 109 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZ:
quote:

"Terrarium TV" is one app and "Mobdro" is another.
TerrariumTV is dead as of yesterday.

I just seen that. Thanks.

Posts: 26 | Location: sw Ohio | Registered: August 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Wayne Mros
posted Hide Post
Area 51 $5.00 a month, works great.

Posts: 412 | Location: Clinton Pa. | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Here is the Area 51 page...

https://area-51-hosting.host/

Alot of info here....

https://troypoint.com/

Posts: 26 | Location: sw Ohio | Registered: August 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:

Alot of info here....

Whats the deal. Went to the website to check it out. Nothing on the page to tell you about what they offer, so I clicked on the 30 day service plan. That page said it was out of stock?
OUT OF STOCK

Guess they can only stream to a limited number of people??

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
quote:

Alot of info here....

Whats the deal. Went to the website to check it out. Nothing on the page to tell you about what they offer, so I clicked on the 30 day service plan. That page said it was out of stock?
OUT OF STOCK

Guess they can only stream to a limited number of people??

Dave

It didn’t make any sense to me either.

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I never went that far on area 51... I was just posting the link for the place that Wayne was talking about...

Go to the other site that I posted and learn how to get as much as you would ever want to watch.....

Edit...

Just checked. The 6 month and 1 year link worked for me. Still $5.00 a month. Does not look like you get a break for paying for more months.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ohio_dragracer,

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
OK. Now I have questions.

If I read it right with something like a fire stick I can watch most everything free, Netflix, HBO,ect.. Unless I want to pay for everything ala cart. With a jail break fire stick if I were to watch through my internet I could get nailed for piracy or breaking some other law.
However if I get a VPN and log on through it I can watch as if I'm in another country where it would be legal to do so.

Is this correct?

Also, with a fire stick I could use my phone as a hot spot and take it where ever I went as long as I had a signal?

I would still have to have an antenna for local stuff.

This sounds like the best deal out there if what I'm thinking is true. Anyone doing this?

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
OK. Now I have questions.

If I read it right with something like a fire stick I can watch most everything free, Netflix, HBO,ect.. Unless I want to pay for everything ala cart. With a jail break fire stick if I were to watch through my internet I could get nailed for piracy or breaking some other law.
However if I get a VPN and log on through it I can watch as if I'm in another country where it would be legal to do so.

Is this correct?

Also, with a fire stick I could use my phone as a hot spot and take it where ever I went as long as I had a signal?

I would still have to have an antenna for local stuff.

This sounds like the best deal out there if what I'm thinking is true. Anyone doing this?

Dave
You don't have to jail break the fire stick (I would suggest the Fire TV device) to get most anything. Apps like TeaTv and Kodi with the correct addons will get you just about anything popular that was ever filmed and aired within a day of it being on. It is not as simple as just clicking the guide on your cable or Dish subscription. To many/most people the extra effort involved to do that is not worth it and they just pay. As things change quickly in this game.
I am not a believer in the VPN. I think it is where a lot of the $ is made by the guys posting stuff. If they want to get you they will. With or without a VPN.
You do still need an OTA antenna to watch your local news.
Google is your friend with instructions for all this. In fact there is so much to read on the subject that you may never get time to watch HBO. Smile
If it were me, I would cancel my DISH subscription in a second and just stream the few minutes I watch TV. But the wife would never have that. She wants a DVR and easy click guide and does not care how much it costs.
Your phone (if the connection is fast enough) will work as a hot spot for the fire stick or fire TV.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZ:

But the wife would never have that. She wants a DVR and easy click guide and does not care how much it costs.

LOL.. This is my wife.

I have Amazon Prime that I'm addicted to that I cast on our TV. So the different apps are not a big deal to me. But the wife hasn't attempted to use any of the apps to watch TV. Heck I think she only changes the channels from the weather channel to wherever Law and Order is on..

I understand you don't have to jail break anything. But I understand most of the apps are subscription based if you want the popular shows. Like I can watch DiscoverGo for free, if I use my Directv account.

Dave

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
With the apps or addons I mentioned they are free.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
To the OP. The other big benefit of the dish hopper is that you can watch anything that you have saved on the DVR even when you don't have satellite signal. Great for the wife and kids while in the motorhome or during the two hours per year that you lose signal from rain.

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I have had the dish hopper for many yrs. and have never used the DVR and recorded anything. I called dish yesterday to pay my bill over the phone and they said that I have been a loyal payment customer for so long that they wanted to give me all the new type equipment and changers Eek

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
You guys with wifes go ahead and cut that TV off and you will be in the shed watching TV off the internet and antenna with the dog Big Grin

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
I have had the dish hopper for many yrs. and have never used the DVR and recorded anything.
Then why pay for the Hopper? I refuse to pay for TV and watch 50% commercials. My wife records everything and skips over the commercials.

Do you realize how many extra Hallmark movies you can watch in a year without commercials. Smile

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
The hopper just comes with the package deal. They said it did not make a difference. Well I guess I am gonna stay with them. They fixed some stuff for me yesterday. Big difference, but somehow they fried one of the boxes.new one on the way.