DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Best dish or cable?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best dish or cable?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted
I have dish network now for yrs. Every time it thunders or rains it goes out 1/2 the time. Paying about $90 a month. I have all the sports network channels=CMT,FOX,CNN.Discovery etc. Is there a better deal going somewhere? What do you guys use?

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the small dish's suck with any kind of weather. Had them for a couple years, went to cable, will NEVER go back to a dish. The messed up part is, when the weather is bad that's when YOU WANT to watch TV but can't.
We now have Spectrum.
Bundled phone, internet and TV. It's about $100 month total.
The best part is the internet speed, 100 Mbps, and they have faster deals also, it's INSTANT, NEVER any buffering.
We did have to pay a little extra for the actual install ($125) which is usually free because of the distance our house is from the road and under ground.

Another good thing is NO CONTRACTS.

Best move we've made.

Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pentastarrail,

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
Every time it thunders or rains it goes out 1/2 the time.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3161 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of scarab1999
posted Hide Post
definitely "NOT ATT" A-PAIN-IN-DA-AZZ

Posts: 97 | Location: troit | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I Have Xfinity Comcast and internet and I love it

The remote lets me search programs with my voice and it the channels never go out because of rain or weather

I have most all of the channels including sports, HBO, STARZ, etc and I have 100 Mbps internet and its 90 dollars per month.

I only have one box, but my other TV’s are smart TV’s so I can just cast from my I-pad or phone or bring up what I want to watch from an app on the TV.

I do not have a DVR, but I can rewatch any show, the only kicker is that I also have to rewatch the commercials most of the time

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You guys need to get your dishes correctly aimed. I loose it in a super heavy downpour for a couple minutes but not enough time to ever make me consider the rip off artists of any cable company.

Posts: 109 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Had the small dishes for a couple years and every time we would loose signal I would call. They would try to reboot from their side, or use telephone support, finally they would send out a tech 2 or 3 days later. They changed mounts, dishes, receivers, re-cabled, even changed locations of the dish from my yard to the roof.
ANYTIME it rained or snowed there was NO signal (the only time you REALLY want to watch TV, when the weathers nice you're outside).

I will say this, years ago, before the little dishes we had a HUGE 10 footer on our roof. That thing NEVER lost signal, that's why we tried the little ones, they're JUNK.
I'm sure a lot of it has to do with where you are located in relationship to the satellites.
Anyway, around here everyone is going back to cable.
It's a lot more reliable, less $$, AND NO CONTRACT, at least with Spectrum.
USA

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
We recently changed from DirecTV with ATT fiber to Spectrum. After a little over a month, we are in the process of changing back. Here are my reasons...

1. We have two homes. The house at the beach has to use Spectrum for Internet, and they give us free basic cable at that house. The trouble? Their IT department isn’t smart enough to figure out a way to let me manage the account at the beach and our primary residence online. When I have called (several times) they tell me they can’t do it with one email address and one phone number. Their recommendation was for me to get another phone number. It’s funny though because I was able to setup service online for both houses.

2. The boxes are huge and need to be reset a few times a week.

3. The remote sucks. I go through a process of turning the TV / Box on, but half the time it will only turn one of the two on. Try again and it turns the one off and the other on. Not to mention they have to be pointed straight at the damn tv / box.

4. Lack of HD. Several channels that were HD on Direct are not on Spectrum. That means they only use a portion of the screen and I can’t hardley see them. The weather channel is th me worst.

5. Can’t watch DVR content from on Room in another.

6. Their campaign on using the App to watch anywhere is misleading. You can watch anywhere inside your home on the Spectrum Wireless network. You can only watch a few channels outside of your home network.

I’m sure there are more, but either way we will be moving back to DirecTV in the next week or so at the primary residence. That will also allow us to take our Directv equipment to the beach when we are there for more than a few days. We will have to keep the Spectrum internet at the beach, but by having only one account I can at least view and pay the bill online for it.

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I've got Charter/Spectrum I hate them and their service but it's the only game around for internet. I've had their service for 20 years and new customers get a better rate then I do. I have similar problems with their box that they charge me for and the remote. We are getting another service coming in through our electric company which might make things a little competitive.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
We have AT&T Direct TV. Every month my wife has an arguement (it’s her “thing”) with them about the bill. Every month they raise the amount then argue that they have the right to increase the bill while ignoring previous commitments/statements about the monthly cost. On average she spends 20-40 minutes on the phone with them, eventually they roll the cost back to the original amount, but never without an argument, never!

They added a very expensive “NFL Sports Package” charge which ended up with me telling them that if they EVER did anything “NFL” again they would be gone forever.

Thoroughly dishonest Company. Believe nothing they say on the phone.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by head gamez:

I’m sure there are more, but either way we will be moving back to DirecTV in the next week or so at the primary residence. That will also allow us to take our Directv equipment to the beach when we are there for more than a few days. We will have to keep the Spectrum internet at the beach, but by having only one account I can at least view and pay the bill online for it.
Checkout Dishnet instead of Direct. Their Hopper 3 is superior with 16 tuners and extra rooms are easy with the wireless Joeys. The Dishanywhere app will work at the beach to watch anything that is recorded on the Hopper and any live channels.

Posts: 109 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Spectrum for internet, streaming TV, + digital antenna. There's a BUNCH of options for streaming TV. We pay a little under $100 a month for everything. (Internet + tv) You don't need a "smart" TV. You can get a ~$30 Roku adapter. https://www.roku.com/

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have an Amazon Fire Stick. Have a Roku also. But the android streaming box can do a lot more.

Posts: 26 | Location: sw Ohio | Registered: August 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZ:
quote:
Originally posted by head gamez:

Checkout Dishnet instead of Direct. Their Hopper 3 is superior with 16 tuners and extra rooms are easy with the wireless Joeys. The Dishanywhere app will work at the beach to watch anything that is recorded on the Hopper and any live channels.

When we finished our basement, we went this route. I have to say it is pretty slick. I don't even have the tuners in the same room with me and the remote works slick. It was all new to me.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We take our Hopper and Joeys wherever we go. MH,lake,Fla. Just call them with your new zip code and the locals come in in 10 minutes.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at this for several months now.

I currently have Directv, one level up from their basic with no premium channels. Two receivers in the house and one for our travel trailer. My bill is 144.00 per month. We have been with them since 1996. I have had all my receiver replaced at least twice, and the keep sending me refurbished ones.
I dislike the fact that the raise their rates at will, and without notice.

I have decided to go with Dish at the end of the month since we just paid our bill. 2 years @ 79.00, plus tax, plus receivers, roughly 90.00 for more channels than we currently have.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Triple Nickel III
posted Hide Post
I have been using youtube TV for the last 6 months and love it. I get all the channels that I had with my Cox bundle instead of 100 a month for 40 a month now with no contract.

Posts: 18 | Location: Virginia Beach,VA / Akron,OH | Registered: December 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Neither sat or cable for me.

Rarely watch TV anymore. And am perfectly happy without it. Rather be in the shop anyway as there's always plenty to mess with out there.

Have DTV antenna in the attic for when the weather gets nasty, and it works every bit as good as satellite. 30+ channels too, not that I care.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
AZ whats your monthly bill? I still have a giant dish from the early ninetys. It is still up but the chicken screen wire fell off the structure. I wonder if it still would work Smile

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Those android boxes are the cheapest. Only cost is buying the box. You do NOT pay for programming. Just need internet though. Skystream 1 is one of the better boxes. Just do some research.

If you have an android phone you can put all kinds of tv apps on it to see how the boxes work.

"Terrarium TV" is one app and "Mobdro" is another.

Posts: 26 | Location: sw Ohio | Registered: August 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post