DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Buying a Used class A diesel - Fleetwood?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying a Used class A diesel - Fleetwood?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Getting serious about a used class A and was pretty certain I wanted a 06-09 Monaco or Newmar...maybe even splurge on a tag axle.

Got thrown a curveball at a dealership
Today and they have me seriously considering a 2014 Fleetwood Discovery with a 360 Cummins. I don’t know nearly as much about the quality and towing capabilities of these. What are your thoughts on def/emissions crap on the newer coaches and what needs to be done for me to haul my trailer with a dragster and doorcar without tearing up the coach?

Posts: 418 | Location: Gator Nation | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
I am not sure that is enough torque. Yes it will tow it, but not the best setup. I guess it depends on how many hills and mountains you will travel.

If it has a rear radiator I would pass, they are difficult to work on and prone to fan problems.

Look at a trailer toad as well on any motor home, it will save the coach.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
This a 40E? First things first. What gross weight are you going to pull with this unit? A tag axle is always a plus. Cummins with an Allison good combo. By chance can you get any history on the unit. Do you know what series Allison is in this unit? Trailer Toad for sure.Saves the coach. Saw you at the Nationals Don. I didn't get a chance to say HI.You get a new coach? Just for reference,here is a list on the MH Allisons. Scroll down to 7 of 8 and you can see the variables on the weights.

http://www.allisontransmission...031en-d.pdf?sfvrsn=8

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
This is a 40x with an Allison 3000

Agreed that a tag axle and side radiator are better. No brainer. That being said have an opportunity to buy a 2014 for 20k less than the 07-08 tags and wife likes the inside better.

Can you do a DEF delete on a motorhome like you can a pickup? Is it necessary?

Posts: 418 | Location: Gator Nation | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Fleetwood Discovery is a pretty good unit. The 360 is plenty as I have a 325 and it tows my heavy 32ft just fine and has for several years even over some serious hills. Don't understand the Alison 3000--mine has a 6000 and it has been great. I think a trailer toad is a good idea as I have never used one and after many years and miles you can see where it has stressed the sides down low in the back. Mine is not a Fleetwood but has the Freight Liner chassis--good stuff. If your wife likes it what else matters?

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
This a 40E? First things first. What gross weight are you going to pull with this unit? A tag axle is always a plus. Cummins with an Allison good combo. By chance can you get any history on the unit. Do you know what series Allison is in this unit? Trailer Toad for sure.Saves the coach. Saw you at the Nationals Don. I didn't get a chance to say HI.You get a new coach? Just for reference,here is a list on the MH Allisons. Scroll down to 7 of 8 and you can see the variables on the weights.

http://www.allisontransmission...031en-d.pdf?sfvrsn=8

Interesting info from Allison.

I had to get a newer motor home a few years ago. Since we travel from one side of the country to the other I wanted a 15 liter engine ( not for the power rather the 600 hp compression and turbo braking capability ).

I removed some of the emission controls and we turned up the power. I was forced to pull the power back after a customer who works for Allison told me the 4000 model was only rated for 2100 ft/lbs max and my tuner told me we were at 2300. So we settled on 725 HP and 2050 ft/lbs to play it safe. Still over the advertised max from Allison but he told me it would not be a problem. With 76k miles on it already and no issues I think it is fine.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Don, is that the same unit i scanned at RT66? I just thought it was Red and Black unit. Memory might be going away. lol For sure the ISX and the newer x15 are true work horses. If i ever went to a coach, for sure it would be a 15. Take anything you throw at it.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Renegade Super C

If you are buying a late model Class A and are not completely set on Class A, consider taking a serious look at the Renegade Super Cs.

We just finished our first trip with a Valencia similar to the one in the video

Pulling a 30 ft, dragster, golf cart, fuel, etc.

Approx 12,000 trailer, 38,000 total
Pulled and drives great.

Cummins 360, Allison 3000 6 speed.

Rated at 12,000 towing.

If you have not looked at these Super Cs, you need to consider them.

Some have mentioned the issues of rear radiator, etc.

These types of MH remove all those rear engine issues.

If the HP and tow rating match what you need, take a look.

We could not be happier with the our decision to buy this MH.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Don, is that the same unit i scanned at RT66? I just thought it was Red and Black unit. Memory might be going away. lol For sure the ISX and the newer x15 are true work horses. If i ever went to a coach, for sure it would be a 15. Take anything you throw at it.

I think that was my American Eagle a few years back.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
For the ones saying the rear mounter radiators aren't good or have problems, we just pressure wash ours twice a year and its fine, know 2-3 others that do the same. 204K miles and still going stong. We have done a few things to it and the only thing that was a pain was serp belt but its doable

Posts: 64 | Location: Ocoee | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post