DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Front end accessory drive options
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Front end accessory drive options
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Looking for recommendations on who to work with for alternator and vacuum pump belt drive parts. I have a quote from Jones that is breathtaking so I wanted to see if there are other options that I'm not aware of.

Posts: 70 | Location: Oostburg WI | Registered: October 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
What do you need besides a mandrel and a few pulleys?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You won't find a more one stop shop or nicer products than Jones. It's my opinion that their pricing looks very high because they can quote you everything you need at one time. I've never been able to get everything I need at another supplier so the costs seem to piece meal in and don't appear to be so impactful.

Posts: 146 | Location: Left of Center | Registered: February 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What all are you driving?

I'm assuming that you are looking at all radius tooth or Gilmer components if you're talking with Jones. This makes it even more difficult to find one place for all your pulleys and belts.

Posts: 146 | Location: Left of Center | Registered: February 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
What an I doing wrong, I have no radius tooth or Gilmer components, no Jones components, my mandrel and v belt crank pulleys are sourced from Moroso, vacuum pump v belt pulley from the engine builder and we’ve only run 6.90, 195mph.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
LOL, nothing wrong at all Ed. For me it's strictly what I like. I'm under no illusion that its faster or better.

quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
What an I doing wrong, I have no radius tooth or Gilmer components, no Jones components, my mandrel and v belt crank pulleys are sourced from Moroso, vacuum pump v belt pulley from the engine builder and we’ve only run 6.90, 195mph.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:

So that's where I started too. Standard v-belt alternator and crank pulley (all brand new). It would launch the v-belt every time I'd put it on the 2-step. I checked alignment with a machinist straight edge and a laser, made minor adjustments and found the same result. Ended up converting to a serpentine setup which worked "better". I'm adding a vacuum pump this year and have a v-belt mandrel new in the box but I don't want to have the same issue pitching belts.

I've read that putting the alternator on the driver's side of the engine may help? I can get a low mount and maybe drive both the pump and the alternator off a single belt.

Only reached out to Jones because of my past experience with the v-belt stuff.

I love inexpensive solutions but will spend money where it makes sense.

Posts: 70 | Location: Oostburg WI | Registered: October 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
If you’re launching the belt you have an alignment issue and/or spinning the accessories too fast.

FYI, the set up I describe is not only on my dragster which sees 7700 in the lights and been in service for 9 years but also on my Firebird which see 8000 in the lights and been in service for 14 years and neither have ever launched the belt.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you’re launching the belt you have an alignment issue and/or spinning the accessories too fast.

FYI, the set up I describe is not only on my dragster which sees 7700 in the lights and been in service for 9 years but also on my Firebird which see 8000 in the lights and been in service for 14 years and neither have ever launched the belt.

HMM. so over-speed I guess I could see. I am using a factory sized 7"(ish) crank pulley so I bet that's a contributor. Maybe I'll move the alternator down low and see if I can get everything to stay on with the mandrel setup and go from there.

thanks for the input.

PS, any chance you can share a picture of either of your setups?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'm with Ed on that. I never had an issue keeping V-belts on when I used them.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Go with the moroso mount

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My crank pulleys are 3” and 5” IIRC and the 120 amp, full sized alternators on both engines, in both cars use the same drivers side low mount

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln:
LOL, nothing wrong at all Ed. For me it's strictly what I like. I'm under no illusion that its faster or better.

Obviously my remarks are meant to demonstrate that nothing special or costly is needed. That said, we all do with our cars and $ what we want, doesn’t need to make sense to anyone but you. Me, I’m a KISS principal guy on most mechanical stuff with my cars.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If I need an alternator pulley right against the balancer or crank trigger I use APD otherwise I use BLP.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 465 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've used Moroso Vbelt pulleys and Enderle Gilmer for alt and fuel pump.

I have a lathe so it's easy to make spacers or enlarge a hole.

Star Machine makes a nice mandrel.
Jones'has nice stuff for sure.

Allstar has a decent looking setup but never saw one and unsure of origin.

In closing,I don't think I would use a mandrel that secures it relying on the balancer bolt.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Lincoln's setup

My dragster and Firebird

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have used Moroso and Jones both. I like the Jones a little better because it has more options and adjust ability.
As for throwing belts your bracket is flexing, or not lined up good not right tension. One other thing if the belt is too long it makes it harder to control. Is your current mandrel straight and not wobbly or anything strange?

As for it being on drivers side, passenger side, top, bottom or even backwards does not matter. Must be straight, not flex and right tension.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3992 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have the Star stuff on mine. Love it and never one issue.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CSRacing:
quote:

HMM. so over-speed I guess I could see. I am using a factory sized 7"(ish) crank pulley so I bet that's a contributor. Maybe I'll move the alternator down low and see if I can get everything to stay on with the mandrel setup and go from there.

Here’s a 4” alternator pulley that will reduce your pulley ratio to 1.75. I had this on my car long ago when it had a 7” crank pulley. Worked perfect. If this will help you out you can have it. PM me your specifics and I’ll mail it free. I’m in WI.

Posts: 2448 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I have the Star mandrel on mine as well, great piece! Alternator pulley is a part of the mandrel that bolts on, and has deeper grooves than a standard pulley. Alternator is from power master and pulley is a deeper one than standard as well. Hasn't been on current out of service combo, but all other combos prior, and never once tossed a belt........

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post