Find
Notify
Tools

Old man, new car.
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of jdbsmith
posted
I read this a lot but usually don't have much to add. However I must be a mental case, I just ordered a 4 link, 235 inch dragster from Innovative Chassis Works in Gainesville, Fl. I am 71 years old and my current car is a 25 year old hardtail. The chassis got damaged when it fell off a jack stand, going to repair and sell as a roller. I am not in great health but I just love this stuff. I will try to check in and let you all know how it is coming.

Posts: 42 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: August 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
JDB! That’s pretty darn cool. Stay after it! Good luck to you! Not worthy

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Man, that is just awesome

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
That is awesome. I wish you the best in health.
What are you thinking? A suspended car? My HT lets me know I'm still alive with the old bones. All i
have to maintain are the tires and the 6" drive shaft. Neils and Parks car for the 65 and older club. Geez 1.3% increase with COLA. We can buy hamburgers now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of jdbsmith
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the best wishes and reply. I am going from a hard tail to a four link.
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
That is awesome. I wish you the best in health.
What are you thinking? A suspended car? My HT lets me know I'm still alive with the old bones. All i
have to maintain are the tires and the 6" drive shaft. Neils and Parks car for the 65 and older club. Geez 1.3% increase with COLA. We can buy hamburgers now.

Posts: 42 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: August 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
So you’re looking to start a new learning curve nice and congrats on new car

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Really cool. Keep on keeping on until you can't! Enjoy it all.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Very Cool.

I'm only 64 (only!), currently putting together a 10 second bracket car to run locally, since I've retired from the TD thing.

See you at G-ville!

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
"only" LOL.. Better start collecting. He** i took it early. While I'm still above ground.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Thats awesome. Might well enjoy life as log as you can. Diabetes myself and just now get 9 year project on track. Biggest regret is not have been able to do so sooner. Well one of them.

Age had nothing to do with enjoying life just have to do so more.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You'll love the suspension more on the return road and braking more than going down the track for comfort!

Best of luck with it!

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
I am 78 and still racing. I didn't race this year because of the Covid thing, but plan on getting back at it next year. My altered was a low 8 second car at altitude but I got tired of being chased by 7 second pipe racks so I have slowed it down to 9 seconds so I can run Pro and be the fasted car. Don't plan to quit as long as I feel that I am driving safely and until they have to pick me up out of the car.... LOL...

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Way to go, great attitude. I'm 71 and just finishing up my Super Street S-10. After 45 years of running pipe racks I decided I needed something easy to in/out of. Wife and kids know I'm crazy, but hey, you only ride around on this spinning orb once.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of jdbsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quick Dawg:
I am 78 and still racing. I didn't race this year because of the Covid thing, but plan on getting back at it next year. My altered was a low 8 second car at altitude but I got tired of being chased by 7 second pipe racks so I have slowed it down to 9 seconds so I can run Pro and be the fasted car. Don't plan to quit as long as I feel that I am driving safely and until they have to pick me up out of the car.... LOL...

My current car was a 4.9xx car with new engine I am looking for 4.7xx. Thanks for the reply.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Maybe reverse title. New car feel like new man. Sometimes a change will bring new life to everything.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new car, OP!

This thread makes me feel better....I have briefly pondered on my recent decision to switch my door car over to blown alcohol at the age of 60. Still have better health and reflexes than I have any right to expect, so what the heck!

Posts: 154 | Location: PA | Registered: December 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Built new chassis car last year 5.70 1/8 mile 66 yrs old not really good but still having fun

Posts: 27 | Location: Athens Al | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post