DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Electric Junior Dragster?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric Junior Dragster?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Was watching the IHRA World Finals today and saw an electric Junior Dragster going rounds. Looking at the IHRA rulebook, they are pretty specific about what engines Junior Dragsters can have. Maybe, because it is an electric motor vs. engine , it is OK? Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
There are several of them at National Trail in Columbus

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Was one running years ago at Pageland, SC

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
It seems odd they make a fuss about which internal combustion engines are allowed, but there is nothing at all about electric motors. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
The Sportsman class track champ at Dragway 42 was driving a Tesla. They're pretty interesting. Kinda like trying to race a golf cart. They're impressively fast, particularly for being so heavy. Runs 7.50's in the 1/8th. They come with their own set of issues. He basically tries to dial it based on the battery life. If it's a long weekend I've heard that it may run as quick as 11.70's in the 1/4 at the beginning of the weekend, and 12.30's by the end.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5734 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
"This was only a drill, this was only a drill..." I just looked harder at the rulebook. Electric Junior Dragsters are addressed in the rulebook. There is no mention in the Engine Section. However, at the very end of the Junior Dragster Section, they lay out the requirements for Electric Junior Dragsters separately. Resume your regular programming. Take care. Tom Worthington

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Beard:
The Sportsman class track champ at Dragway 42 was driving a Tesla. They're pretty interesting. Kinda like trying to race a golf cart. They're impressively fast, particularly for being so heavy. Runs 7.50's in the 1/8th. They come with their own set of issues. He basically tries to dial it based on the battery life. If it's a long weekend I've heard that it may run as quick as 11.70's in the 1/4 at the beginning of the weekend, and 12.30's by the end.

I wonder if a portable generator would have enough capacity to keep one of those topped off? Take care. Tom Worthington

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
We were there and didn't ever run against the car. My son did win Friday's race. We did also see the Tesla.
We have seen that electric jr at other races. It seems to be crazy consistent, and runs considerably more mph than other cars running the same time.

Myself: I don't like it. No weather variations for the electric give it a big advantage over IC engines. It's a completely different mousetrap. They are quite expensive kits from Jegs. I tell everyone who is considering it to think hard about it. As more people see the unfairness in this, they will start insisting that they run in their own class. What fun will that be?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of regal
posted Hide Post
If you had a kid that went through the entire age range they look like a no brainer. Supposedly one setup can be tuned to run from the slow index all the way down to 7.90. I just wish the gas engine rules would be opened up to allow more options. At the end of the day it is bracket racing, not a stock eliminator class.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: regal,

Chris Walters

Posts: 120 | Location: New Whiteland,Indiana | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
It seems odd they make a fuss about which internal combustion engines are allowed, but there is nothing at all about electric motors. Take care. Tom Worthington

2018 IHRA rulebook, Page 24-25 have a full section on electric jr dragsters. Motor, batteries, voltage, etc.

https://cld.bz/QQ75PZu/24/

I don't keep up on the electric stuff so I'm really don't know how many options there are.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 741 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I wonder if a portable generator would have enough capacity to keep one of those topped off? Take care. Tom Worthington

I think if you could keep one topped off at 100%, it would be deadly consistent. I'm not sure there's enough time between the late rounds to charge it though.

The Tesla supercharger stations charge at 480v. Our old director at my work had a charging station at his home (230v) and he would charge his overnight. 6-8 hours.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 741 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

No. We had electric hookups in our pit spots at the Bracket Finals, but he said it doesn't really do much. One pass kills 5 miles of range. He'd go find a supercharger station overnight when he went back to the hotel. Sometimes it would run very consistent. Other times it'd throw a wacky run out there. They just have *different* variables to deal with than regular engines.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5734 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
McIlvain Race Cars built 1 or 2 for Jegs...I've seen them in various stages of the build. Pretty cool deal really...ET is completely controlled by a dial (speed controller) and capable of running well under 7.90.

Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring
Auto Meter Authorized Dealer
CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack
399 inches of Horse Power Sales Power
1.031, 2.978, 4.640 at 147.47

Posts: 492 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OhiomafiaWireGuy:
McIlvain Race Cars built 1 or 2 for Jegs...I've seen them in various stages of the build. Pretty cool deal really...ET is completely controlled by a dial (speed controller) and capable of running well under 7.90.

I know I am over simplifying. But why not just have a practice tree race?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by OhiomafiaWireGuy:

I know I am over simplifying. But why not just have a practice tree race?

they already do, its called 1/8th mile racing!

Posts: 39 | Location: oregon | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Jr Dragsters are the most obnoxious sounding racing vehicle ever. I'm for making them ALL electric. Smile

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of tommy d
posted Hide Post
Regal is correct, and that is the selling point for them. One car for your whole junior career and who knows what else. We haven't seen a huge advantage when they show up other than the kid who drives the ''JEGS'' car could win racing a Hot Wheels car. He's tough.

Posts: 30 | Location: Indiana | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Really surprised they let the Tesla race against the Dino cars. I’m not at all surprised a good driver won a championship with one. Create a class for them! Battery life , wind and track? Start a list on what affects the fossil fuel car..

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4503 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If drag racing goes electric, I'm going fishing!

Posts: 238 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: October 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edd Harney:
If drag racing goes electric, I'm going fishing!

Winner! End of thread...………..

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post