New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot Clock
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Earlier today,I was watching the NMCA race on www.speedvideo.com. (Excellent coverage by the way)

They were running a bracket class and two guys decided to have a "staging duel".

With both pre-staged,nobody wanted to stage.One guy even opened his door as they both sat there.

Finally,somebody decided to stage.It wasted a lot of time,and I don't really see what the point of it was.

This has been discussed before,but I definitely believe that a "shot clock" is necessary in bracket racing.

If nobody wants to stage in a reasonable amount of time,then DQ both.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I agree for sure. After the last car prestages, give 20 seconds, and if no one has lit the bottom bulb, the starter motions them in. Then, at the starter's discretion; he can throw the redlight on them a couple moments afterward.

Posts: 40 | Location: East TN | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Know your opponent and how they stage, if you have to take awhile to match their way so be it. been there done that. Big Grin

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
After both cars are pre staged 8 to 10 seconds and nobody is in they both are red and done.
Not fair to all that want to race for them to waist time,especially the pair in the water box

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 253 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
my comments stand and I'm sure shooter's as well...

https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/foru...652/m/1927074676/p/1

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
These attempts at new rules don't solve anything. There has already been an instance where both drivers refused to even pre-stage. After multiple warnings, they were both subsequently DQ'd. We don't need better rules, just better human beings. The starter and race director have all the discretion they need to deal with these issues on a case-by-case basis.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5736 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Was at Farmington years ago and 2 drivers decided to have a staging dual 1st round. After a couple minutes of both cars sitting there, the starter waved them off and told them to come back tomorrow, both were DQ'd.

I don't know why people play games or waste our time doing it. The races are long enough with the extra BS thrown in.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Beard:
These attempts at new rules don't solve anything. There has already been an instance where both drivers refused to even pre-stage. After multiple warnings, they were both subsequently DQ'd. We don't need better rules, just better human beings. The starter and race director have all the discretion they need to deal with these issues on a case-by-case basis.

Ding ding!

Go get your chicken dinner....

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you have a shot clock, what do you do if I skip the burnout and start the timer?

Posts: 521 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Dees:
If you have a shot clock, what do you do if I skip the burnout and start the timer?

Not picking on you Phil, but this will be the kind of crap people will start to get that competitive edge if you start a shot clock. Or both cars will take it all the way down to 1 before they both dive in. The next thing will be, at what point do we start the shot clock? If we are honest, we prolly see less than 5 staging battles a day, and MOST of them don't last longer than a minute.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Exactly my point!

Posts: 521 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
I find them humorous, but I also know how to turn the ignition switch off. But I am also on alky and have used them for my own benefit, even when I wasn't the one battling.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Capitol Raceway had a shot clock mounted to the tree years ago. Both cars had 20 seconds to stage once 1 bulb was lit. People used to mess with others all the time. (Doorcars doing burnouts before dragsters, ect.)

All a shot clock does is give someone something else to worry about, use to their advantage or lose because of. It won't fix stupid.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
I find them humorous, but I also know how to turn the ignition switch off.

THIS^^^

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
You’ve ready lost playin into thier game. Race ur race and let the starter/DD do thier job. Mike has already set examples here in Div 7.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I would like to see more starters pull them in and if they do not the DQ them right there and move on. Pretty soon all that stuff will stop.

I would not want more rules though.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4011 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Beard:

FTW!!! The rules are already in place and just need better enforcement at time.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
Promote it and pack the bleachers! New rules tho, you get one minute to d ick around, after a minute starter throws reds and you both get out of the car and duke it out on the starting line. Winner gets to stage last.

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of bcMOD3X3X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Promote it and pack the bleachers! New rules tho, you get one minute to d ick around, after a minute starter throws reds and you both get out of the car and duke it out on the starting line. Winner gets to stage last.

Sounds like a mix of bracket racing and professional wrestling! Could be on to something LOL

Posts: 127 | Location: Oxford,MI | Registered: July 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just remember, never bring a knife to a gun fight.

Back to serious bidness.

Competition director and starter can put this to an end in short order.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post