New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buy backs
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
How do you feel about 1st and 2nd round ?

Posts: 33 | Location: Cooper Tx | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Ummm, I am going to go with...No good, 1st or 2nd has become pretty normal and big car turnouts are normally 1st only or no BB at all...

JMO

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
if you are doing 1st and second round BB then its a waste of time. Get some time shots, then get 2 buy backs? make 4 runs on a car before the race even starts?

If I actually decided to show up to a race that has first and second round buy backs then I probably wont get my car out of the trailer until they call for 1st round of eliminations

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
For me I like my time shots I like making runs on my car its a hobby ,all these buy backs and multipule entry ,just a money grab basicly for those with deep pockets and high stake gamblers fine for big money races but not so much on your local bracket program you want to race more have a second chance race

Posts: 65 | Location: central indiana | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I like them for several reasons. In the long run it helps to increase the payout. Also I seem to do well in them.

Regardless buybacks or no buybacks is not a big deal at all to me. But if you do not like them then do not buyback or go someplace that fits your needs better.

What I look for is a safe place to race with a decent payout for the car count and a fun place to race. I also prefer tracks fairly close to me 3 hours or less tow. Buybacks is simply not a consideration on where I race.

What I do not like is when they change the rules or payout on race day. If they say they are going to have a certain payout and buybacks or no buybacks do not change it on race day. Tell me what the rules are and lets run them. If I do not like the rules or the payout then I will take my money else where.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4017 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I hate buy backs period! Thanks to Royce MIller and Terry Sinke for coming up with the idea in the first place.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I don't see how it helps the payout

Posts: 33 | Location: Cooper Tx | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
I quit going to one of my local tracks because they went to first and second round buybacks - the race simply takes too long. Plus it's just ridiculous. 1st round only, I can live with.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the long run it helps to increase the payout.

Only if it's a top-heavy purse. For a race that pays good round money, a second round of buybacks can be a wash or even COST the track money.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5734 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
That's pretty easy to understand. They collect $100 entry at the gate, the payout is $110 so they collect $50 in buy backs and now not only make the payout but have $40 profit. They are now depending on the buy backs to make the purse and the profit. Anyone remember George Howards FREE races?, with 2 rounds of buy backs!

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
Yup. You're paying for it one way or the other. They use the free/low entry to get you in the gate and then assume that you're going to buy back "since you're already there".

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5734 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The races I have been in with 2 rounds of buybacks are 1st OR 2nd round buyback. It's a slippery slope. Where does that end?
Yes it can increase payout, and most tracks are top loading today just to publish good winner payout. Sucks, but what it is.
But in the end, I want the track to make money and do it consistently. I don't know any tracks that are killing it. Most that I know for owners take home much less than I do. I don't want to trade places with them, and I DO want them, need them to keep operating. So if this is what it takes, I'm not going to grumble much.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Most tracks around me do not have buybacks, and I like it that way. There isn't much to like about NHRA series racing, financially speaking, but I do like the absence of buybacks.

I'm OK with one round of buybacks, and have raced with first OR second round buybacks. In that case, I traveled to be there so I knew what I was getting into and the purse was heavy for a low entry.

If my local tracks did first AND second round buybacks, I'd likely prefer to race elsewhere.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I do not and never have bought back in. I just feel they are wrong. I don't see any chance of that changing. I hate them, but what I really find awful about them nowadays is that most tracks still award points, even after somebody has lost in the first round. It would make no sense for me to enter a points system that operates like that. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
In all honesty I hate buy backs. In all honesty I will use them every time I need to so I can continue racing.

I rally hate 1st and 2nd buy back races. One buy back is bad enough,but two really sucks.

So much for arguement that in round track you can miss a shift and make it back u,but in drag racing one miss and your gone. Now you have 3 chances.

Only winner is the track. You make extra runs 7 or 8 rounds for small payout vs 5 or 6 for same thing. The 5 or 6 runs for say 1000 bucks is bad enough.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
If you do not like buybacks then simply do not buyback or go race some place that you like better.

I do not understand what the big deal is it just does not matter to me much at all.

I have been to tracks that I felt was unsafe, been to tracks that they did not take care of it, traction was bad and lanes not the same. I have been to some pretty bad tracks, been to some that was ran by idiots. These are things I consider when I choose where to race at. We went to a track where we had to provide an ambulance. They did not even have one. I have raced at tracks that took 7 hours to get there.
Complain about a dangerous track sure but Buybacks. Nope just not important at all to me.

Buybacks is just not on the list of things that bother me.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4017 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of fatpack
posted Hide Post
I HATE BUY BACKS! (when I win first round) But as long as other racers show up and their win light comes on I'll keep buyin back! HAHAHA! Actually I don't care, I just like the feel of making a good pass in a safe environment!

Walt

Posts: 56 | Location: Sykesville | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatpack:
I HATE BUY BACKS! (when I win first round) But as long as other racers show up and their win light comes on I'll keep buyin back! HAHAHA! Actually I don't care, I just like the feel of making a good pass in a safe environment!

This is deadon... I HATE BUY BACKS! Should have t-shirts made with that ....hahaha

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
If you do not like buybacks then simply do not buyback or go race some place that you like better.

Not buying back doesn't solve the issue for people that don't like buy backs. It is simple enough to think that way though.

If a person doesn't like buy backs and wins first (and second round) then they are still a victim of buy backs by an increase in the rounds needed to win or get to "the money". Or, perhaps they are beat in a later round by someone that did buy back.

quote:
Go race some place that you like better
Tell that to a guy with 1 track within a 3+ hour drive. No impact... right?

For the record, I don't mind them.... but your simple approach to other people's issues with them is dumb at best.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: head gamez,

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:

This is deadon... I HATE BUY BACKS! Should have t-shirts made with that ....hahaha

No b*yback T-shirts

I own several of these T-shirts, in different colors, and a couple of the sweatshirts. This is from Michael Beard's site (Staging Light). Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post