DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Tire shake opinions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire shake opinions
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Just caught something funny about BJ's post. I figured out that adding clutch got rid of shake right at 30 yrs ago.Mid season 1991 but not till after causing the driver brain damage from some nasty shake caused by backing car down after shake. Dang I am getting old. Not saying same time as old guy in his story just ironic the 30 year thing.

I guess more common knowledge now days as no disagreements on what cures it. Just different ways to get same result,spinning the tire.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill masiello:
Chris use the 1.69 low gear ! Go with the M+H 12x33 and you will be happy ! I am not a fan of stiff sidewall tires !

I have the 1.69 low. As for M+H tires.One have not found one listed on their site.If can give me number maybe have better luck. I am only looking right now. I will have to get another set of wheels since mine are 15 x14's.

Right now lowering powertrain to gain the ground clearance in post on FED.org. Adding new steering box and new rods have tapped budget pretty hard. Going to do some more test shots Next month and if still having shake I will see what can do about swapping tires.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Nichols
posted Hide Post
Getting ready to encounter some of this myself. Rear Engine Dragster with a 526 KB Hemi w F3-130 Procharger. Turbo 400 2-speed. Have not bought tires yet but will be purchasing in next 30 days. I am a hard core Mickey guy, but after watching and learning from some others I am considering a Hoosier after speaking with some other TD guys. I know the Big Bubba was a gold standard for a few years, but heard about enough issues to consider something else. The rule seems to be add air pressure for Mickeys to reduce shake and drop air pressure on Hoosiers because of side wall stiffness. Testing begins in about 45 days.

Posts: 157 | Location: Charlestown, IN U.S.A | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
My problem is I throw everything at it already and don't have anything left to increase..

Where’s your wheelie bar at? How far out does it shake?

Normally it's off the bars when it shakes. About 20-30' out. I've tried about everything I could think of. Switching to 3183 M/T's from 18650 Hoosiers fixed it for 2 seasons, but for whatever reason, the shake is back with a vengeance now. The only thing I never tried is really low tire pressure, like 4.5.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Nichols
posted Hide Post
Mike, I ran that same tire a couple of years ago. It is a high growth tire and the sidewall is not real stiff. I don't think it is going to like the low tire pressure at all. When that tire went away, it went away bad. Tire shake and no hook. How many runs on the tires? Do you have shocks? How long since they have been rebuilt (if you have them)?

Posts: 157 | Location: Charlestown, IN U.S.A | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Nichols:
Getting ready to encounter some of this myself. Rear Engine Dragster with a 526 KB Hemi w F3-130 Procharger. Turbo 400 2-speed. Have not bought tires yet but will be purchasing in next 30 days. I am a hard core Mickey guy, but after watching and learning from some others I am considering a Hoosier after speaking with some other TD guys. I know the Big Bubba was a gold standard for a few years, but heard about enough issues to consider something else. The rule seems to be add air pressure for Mickeys to reduce shake and drop air pressure on Hoosiers because of side wall stiffness. Testing begins in about 45 days.

Goodyear just released the 2719 35x15x16 Top Dragster tire. Other than some guys Beta testing it last season I dont know much about it. Talking with a GY rep late last season he said it was a TF compound with a big bubbas type side wall. He asked me if I would be willing to test them this season, I am a GY guy from way back when and I am intrigued by the tire but I would only do it if I had another set of wheels and I currently do not.
I am really happy so far with the switch to Hoosier from MT but It does give TD racers another option to choose from

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post