DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    State Sales Tax-Mail Order Parts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

State Sales Tax-Mail Order Parts
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Good question Floyd. I find it funny few will admit to voting for Pudding Head yet he supposedly got so many votes.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
We just had the same issue out here in the recall of our dictator governor. Nobody admits to voting against the recall except a few women.

Posts: 4815 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the locals but you should be the one trying to collect sales tax for every little podunk community in the country. I will do anything to avoid paying tax on anything, it saves me more money to spend at home.

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Sorry about the locals but you should be the one trying to collect sales tax for every little podunk community in the country. I will do anything to avoid paying tax on anything, it saves me more money to spend at home.

You lost me on this one, Fern.

Posts: 4815 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
"Maybe I can talk him into taking PayPal or something. That way I can use a credit card."

get a cash advance on your card . the guy is already doing you a good deal just pay the guy cash ...

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
What I mean Floyd is every little city, county, state has a different tax and if you own a company YOU have to collect the tax and forward it to them all. And you, the company, must absorb the cost of getting this done the cost of which is passed on to us, the customer, in addition to paying the tax.

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 67TSCHEVY2:
"Maybe I can talk him into taking PayPal or something. That way I can use a credit card."

get a cash advance on your card . the guy is already doing you a good deal just pay the guy cash ...

The issue most small business guy's have is because credit card companies charge them 3-4% for accepting cc payments. If they are working on a small margin then that could make a lot of difference.
By the way PayPal also charges a fee if he accepts a CC.
I just bought a set of pistons and was charged an extra 4% because I used a card. But he didn't charge me sales tax. The Piston Guy out of CA. Got them in just under 30 days.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
What I mean Floyd is every little city, county, state has a different tax and if you own a company YOU have to collect the tax and forward it to them all. And you, the company, must absorb the cost of getting this done the cost of which is passed on to us, the customer, in addition to paying the tax.

^^^ agree.

Dave

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
quote:

Naw, I just write him a check. He did and does give me a good deal. Over the years I've shown my appreciation in a number of ways.

I am proud to say I've never asked him for a good deal on parts or a break on labor. He's a friend. His margins are too thin and it's too much to ask.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
From what I read this morning, as of January 2022 they're going to start taxing Cash App, Paypal, etc.....

That's why they want us all to believe there is a money/coin shortage. Get us all on the apps so they can track it.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Paypal already collects sales tax on (sales)transactions. They are required to do so. It makes it quite hard when trying to record a sale as a business. We were selling on Ebay and online and only registered in MD for sales tax. Paypal collects it in every state and files it for you.

-------------------

I actually think it is a good thing and helps the smaller speed shops and businesses compete with the big box stores.

When I worked at the race car shop, we had to compete with Jegs and Summits pricing, then there was the 6% Maryland sales tax too. Made margins awful tight and lost many sales due to it.

Now, the new sales tax laws makes it so all you have to worry about is pricing.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Reyer's knows!
When I worked at a speed shop, we ran into the same things with tax. Hard to compete with that and small margins on sales.

Posts: 293 | Location: New Milford, CT USA | Registered: December 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Yup this has been in place for quite a while now. The mandate use to be if you had a physical location within that state. Now it's basically if you sell $100k plus within a state from your online business no matter your location of origin. These mandates are set by each state.

So for companies that sell large volume, JEGS, SUMMIT, AMAZON, ETC. They basically hit that threshold rather quickly.

Smaller online vendors don't, so they're not require to charge the sales tax unless they reach the $100k in a particular state.

SL...

Posts: 2109 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
Has anyone else noticed that all the online racing parts stores/websites, Summit, Jegs, etc are now charging state sales tax?

This started since the Democrats went into power earlier this year. Just sayin'............

As someone who thinks both political parties suck and they are all out to get us... since it has been shown/proven to be something that has been in effect or due to legislation/rulings from 2018, I'm curious if you will now blame this on the Republicans that were in power then? Just sayin'

Posts: 176 | Location: Byron, GA | Registered: January 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
wow some folks will cry about anything you all are sure willing to take whatever the goverment will hand out but ***** about sales tax-GET OVER IT - it been there your whole life rant over lol

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 406 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Sales tax, fishing license fees, hunting license fee, vehicle license plate fees, toll roads, fuel tax, property taxes, school taxes, FICA, state and federal taxes... it's part of "living the dream"! Gotta pay to play.
*Unless y'all walked across the Rio Grande recently, then stuff is free.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Legal extortion

Federal, State, Local, Highway Tolls, Gas Tax
Sales Tax, Excise Tax, Inheritance Tax, On and on and on and the powers that be are always thinking up new taxes and fees.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Legal extortion

Federal, State, Local, Highway Tolls, Gas Tax
Sales Tax, Excise Tax, Inheritance Tax, On and on and on and the powers that be are always thinking up new taxes and fees.

I gotta agree. The dems are a tax and spend administration. They have no idea about about what it's like to live within a budget.