DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    I'm Done, time to hit the beach!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm Done, time to hit the beach!
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
I had the opportunity/obligation to renew my NHRA Competition License and my NHRA membership today and decided to pass. When I started drag racing back in the 1950's we had tracks within a reasonable towing distance, with reasonable entry fees, here in California that is no longer the case.

I considered:

The expense of the new NHRA competition license fee
The NHRA membership fee
The chassis certification fee
The safety belt re-certification expense
The event race car entry fees
The crew member event fees (2 per event)
The tow vehicle annual fuel expense (at $5.00+ per gallon) when the closest NHRA event track is in another State, 365 miles away
The increased race fuel expense ($110 for 5 gallons)
The trailer State license fees
The tow vehicle State license fees
The annual tow vehicle insurance expense
4 to 5 days away from home for a LODRS event
A winners purse that would never even cover the event cost.

So after adding it all up it make absolutely no sense to continue spending all this money for nothing. So after more than 66 years in this sport I'm done.

For those who decide to continue on I wish you the best of luck.

Bob

Posts: 3080 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I absolutely understand and many more are doing same thing. Even in our area we have quite a few good tracks but car count is down from where it should be.

I think the decline has been going on since 2005 but is now getting worse quicker like the economy.

Sad, California was the home of NHRA and now look at it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
I had the opportunity/obligation to renew my NHRA Competition License and my NHRA membership today and decided to pass. When I started drag racing back in the 1950's we had tracks within a reasonable towing distance, with reasonable entry fees, here in California that is no longer the case.

That is a sad way to hang it up. It's not looking real good in our part of the country either.

I considered:

The NHRA membership fee
The tow vehicle annual fuel expense (at $5.00+ per gallon) when the closest NHRA event track is in another State, 365 miles away

So after adding it all up it make absolutely no sense to continue spending all this money for nothing. So after more than 66 years in this sport I'm done.

Bob

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 295 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bob, we will all get there at some point for the same and different reasons. There’s more to life than drag racing. Enjoy the next chapter of yours.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Once you get to the beach, don't you dare buy a boat. Talk about jumping from the frying pan and into the fire. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
At 81 years old I do it a lot less and only bracket race. I have many good tracks much closer than your closest one, I can still afford it, health is pretty good, and the only friends I have left are at the track, somewhere. Lots of things to see in this country and in the last few years I have been looking. You have fun, we only go through life once and mine has been much more than I could have ever imagined Racing and life has been good to me.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
A lot of my friends have passed, every year that list gets longer. While I can (81) I want to find that next chapter in my life, that's beginning to look like living in Kauai. Have no idea what to do with the car and all the "Stuff". To all of you who I've had conversations with over the years THANKS !

Bob

Posts: 3080 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
81 here also, made my last 2 passes this past April. 4.63 and a 4.61.
Eyesight at night was the final deciding factor.
Do I miss it. heck yea. The adrenaline of being at the track and some good races always made me feel at least 10 years younger.

Posts: 265 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:

I considered:

The NHRA membership fee

Bob

This is why you should run big money races and **** NHRA.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Progas,
I understand completely and agree with why you did it.
GOOD CALL.
I too am retiring to Kauai, Poipu to be exact, we purchased our home several years ago, it's just a matter of when we pull the trigger to say "Goodbye" to Connecticut.

Enjoy the next phase of your life.
Not worthy

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Hawaii is a liberal hell-hole just like Connecticut or California, only maybe the weather is a little bit nicer. Just sayin'...

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
this^^^ they have voted for the democratic nominee in every presidential election but 2 for the past 60 years as well voted democratic for every governor, congressman and senator for 50 years and it's the most expensive state in the country to live.

I'll pass!!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
The difference in taxes between what I pay to live in Georgia and what I would pay to live in Hawaii would easily fund a nice three week annual vacation in Hawaii Smile

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Bob, you will be bored stiff on Kauai. 3 days of a 2 week vacation in the late '90's was all I could take and I have family that lives there. My son and his family are leaving there when he retires the last day of '24

Posts: 1413 | Location: Yarnell, AZ | Registered: August 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
It can be expensive if you don't know where to shop or eat, etc, and they do vote dem BUT compared to Connecticut IT'S A DEAL.

No ANNUAL personal property tax on vehicles, boats, land, ATV's, etc. That alone will save me HUGE per year.
Even home taxes are a FRACTION of what we pay here.
Vehicles last FOREVER, you're on an island so there is no where to drive to really.

There's no winter, so no cold weather clothes, no heat for your house, no winterizing vehicles, etc.
As far as AC, we never use it, house has it but it is always off, the trade winds give a nice breeze, just open the windows.

Granted, if you go to the tourist traps you WILL PAY thru the nose, knowing where to buy things and eat is the key, basically follow the locals. And Walmart and Costco (except for gas) are NOT the in-expensive places to buy things.

The problem is people associate what they pay for stuff while on vacation with the normal cost to live there, it is NOT EVEN CLOSE.

The BEST part is Hawaii EXEMPTS retirement income from social security and public pensions.
401k and IRA withdrawals are taxed but we don't have any so nothing to worry about there.

Life expectancy in Hawaii is the highest in the nation at 86.5 years. It's very laid back, no stress.

Oh, almost forgot.
https://www.dragracekauai.com

Is Hawaii perfect, HE LL no, but it is FAR BETTER than where I live now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pentastarrail,

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Frank regardless of where you shop and eat, Kauai is expensive. I was there 3 years ago with my family as a graduation gift for my son. We stayed at the Four Seasons and I got talking to the towel boy, a guy around 30 who told me he had just bought a fixer upper for $700,000 and was lucky to get in the house for that price. He said it was very expensive to live there and he was a native. BTW, after there we went to Maui, in total we were there for 3 weeks had a great time, everything we did was 1st class/top shelf, want to go back again when I have another $30k burning a hole in my pocket.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Bob, best wishes on whatever you choose to do. I hope you'll still be on here to chat.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Ed, I see where you are coming from BUT the person you talked to gave his opinion. Yes, real estate is very expensive primarily due to everyone that wants to live there.
I know what it costs to live there as a resident, I lived there for many years, I go back at least once (sometimes twice) a year for vacations, went to school there and I am half Hawaiian (mom was 100%) hence the name of my dragster Smile

And yes, Vacations there can be expensive BUT it is definitely cheaper than Connecticut, that's why we will retire there.

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Frank, I'm envious, would love to retire there but just don't see the numbers/cost working for me. Great place to vacation, love it there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Congrats Bob! Lot's of history wrapped around you and your area. Proud to say I have a few of those 9.90 Medals. Enjoy your next adventures and don't be a stranger, you're always welcome here.

SL...

Posts: 2099 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post