DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    junkyard scounging fun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

junkyard scounging fun
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Some times scrounging around junk yard pays off. Found a pile of go cart wheels today and sprockets. I mean 30 or 40 sprockets and dozen wheels.Wheels where flattened on one side to make it useless. At salvage price and half pound maybe a pound I took a shot and grab four matching wheels. Heck what is a 5 or 6 buck gamble. Came home cut piece of white oak with a matching radius. about 15 minutes with dead blow hammer and good to go.
Since I found matching spindles and some other stuff and spent 10.68. I now have four badass dolly wheels. Found tires for 30 bucks and if can get bearing for 20 to 30 bucks I should be good for under 100 in a dolly and figure to build two one for shop and one for trailer or sale one.

Bad thing is I went there looking for some scrap aluminum tubing and did not find a piece worth a good crap.LOL

Really bad part they had 40 or 50 25' pieces of aluminum trailer flooring that interlocks and perfect for aluminum trailer build I wanted to do.Just could not justify 500 to 700 bucks laying around waiting to see if I could get rest of materials.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Didnt see any double hump heads did you.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:

Some of my best days were at the junkyards here. A&D, Carlos, Study Boys, Deal Auto, - California has closed most a of them.
CV, 1.94 or 2.02?
I might have a couple left. When I moved I let go of at least 10 sets! Still kicking myself. 3 dually loads of good stuff! Super Angry

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4495 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Only have a set of power pack heads. No camel humps Frown

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4495 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:

How many do you need?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1649 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
It used to be fun to go scrounging around, for parts. It’s been many years since I did last. See a car, that was somewhat rare or at least uncommon, and wonder how it wound up, there. Cringe when you saw a muscle car with a real POS sitting on its roof. Days gone by now.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
How many do you need?

A poor attempt at being clever.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
LS's are still a deal at times. Not everywhere though.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I was at same junkyard way back. Looked at scrap pile and there was cpl small blocks. Spotted a 283, knew it was 283 by crank. Asked guy what it was for scrap engines. He said 15 bucks . I still have that 283. Bought it for the forged crank and found It had flat tappet cam, need to run numbers and see what block it was. Not sure how many 283;s cam with flat tappet cam. Guess it came with it since it was Chevrolet cam.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
On dbl hump heads. I bought a 327 off a guy he told me it was running when pulled and if wanted it I could have it for 25 bucks.I sold the dbl hump heads for 125 two days later. Sorry guys I don 't see the great thing about them. Need harden seats to run unleaded and don't really flow compared to aftermarket head you can have for same cash when you get them in shape.