Find
Notify
Tools

Radon testing
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Looking into adding another business to list of what Chris will do for mony. Brother in law had to get a Radon test and system installed on cpl house he sold.Almost noone in this area doing it and pay ain't bad for whats done.

Looking at few online coarse deals. Wondering what I am looking at cost to startup after certification and just get little more info than found online.Thinking maybe somne here does Radon testing or knows a friend I could talk with. Figure someone halfway across country would be in competition and no reason to ill advise. Anyone?

Also if you have had this testing done on basement home please chime in or drop me a pm.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Chris,

Around here, northwest Connecticut, it's mandatory to test any house for Radon for a bank to give a mortgage.
I do the test myself, we buy them at Lowes or Home Depot, then send them in, it's free. Usually get the results within 7 - 10 business days, then I give the report to the buyers realtor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHP7IIJkrlU

I've been fortunate to not need to remediate it with any of our houses BUT I know a gentleman that does it and it is a money printing machine. He charges between $2500 - $3500 a day per job (includes material), usually 6 hours or less for install.

He did have to go to some classes from the state to get certified (similar to mold, lead paint, or asbestos remediation).

He has 2 crews of 2 guys working 6 days a week, each crew does 1 house a day.

The nice thing is that there is NO disposal of any toxic products (like lead paint, asbestos, mold, etc).
Just some materials.

I would say that IF it is mandatory in your area to have a test done for a mortgage DEFINITELY get your license and do it.
You'll be back racing TAF in a year (if you want).
Big Grin

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Thanks Frank.About same story I have gotten from a few. Around here I have only run into it twice,but others tell me it regular deal and they have hard time finding someone to do the work.
Best thing In basement homes I don't have to crawl under crawl space and at 18" min. I mean crawl.

Thanks

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
The best thing about it Chris is that the home owner HAS to contact YOU if they have Radon because once the test comes back positive the alarms go off at the state so there is NO WAY they can sell their house until they get it remediated by YOU.

Not to mention, many people just do the test because they want to (recommended twice a year on every house up here) and if it comes back positive they are going to remediate it anyway, win - win for you.

Also here in CT many people just put in a remediation system just in case, just like putting in a stand by generator. Just because you don't have radon today doesn't mean you won't have it tomorrow.
Who wants to get cancer.

And I get you about crawling.

Like I said, it's a money printing machine.
Big Grin

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Yea I will have to get a web site set up that is easy to find. If your find able by internet you do not exist now days.

Already have cpl leads on class part and test site. Going to give them a call today and get ball rolling,No sense letting that printing machine sit too long.LOL

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
When I sold my last house, they found radon. I had to pay about $1200 to this guy to seal off my sump crock and put a fan blowing outside.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
yea my mother in-law just bought house and seller has to pay 1500 for system that took 1 1/2 hours to install. Seems its not as big down here as is in most northern states,but good money and just another branch of my construction company.

Facts be simple if going to race you got to make it anywhere you can. Hoping Frank is dead on about money printing machine,because I need one of those.LMAO