DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    A question for active drag racer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question for active drag racer
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Only really have two hobbies, drag racing and shooting/reloading. I only recently got to doing competitive shooting. I did a little bit years ago but now I do two matches a month. An AR-15 precision match the first weekend of the month and then the regular bench rest precision match the next weekend. If I ever quit racing I’ll just do more of that.

I’m 71 now and two weekends of racing and traveling took it’s toll. My knees are killing me, probably time to have them replaced. I go see the doctor today.

When I get finished building my house I want to start reloading again. Huge stress relief, very relaxing.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4017 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I'm going to continue until I can't.
I've been sidelined not by choice before, and I was really happy to get back to it.
The grandkids dig it, so I hope to be able to hang in long enough to see one of them take the wheel.
Now if I can just get them interested in keeping the race operation maintained, we'll last longer. Big Grin

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
At 71 years old I still feel very competitive and LOVED building the new S10 and getting the results I wanted. Yes, its a lot of time in the shop (always loved that) and it isn't getting cheaper or easier. Turned the dragster over to my son along with any expenses and he got his own coach and trailer for his family. He has grabbed a few Big Checks which is awesome and his family enjoys it.
We only race big money brackets, which usually give me more time to prepare the cars, coach and trailer. This year we have about 22 races in Iowa that pay over $5000; three pay $25K and 9 pay $7000.00, 4 pay $11,000 and the others all pay $5000. I am going to have to stay rested and mentally focused to be consistent.

I took golf back up about 5 years ago and just shot my age three weeks ago. We do some fishing in FL in the winter but it just isn't the same as lining up against another good racer and laying down a .010 pack. That feeling I can't get in golf, even with a hole-in-one or when I get a 4-lb bass. For 50 years I have raced and pretty much felt blessed every time I go down the track.

When it turns to "work" I will park it until it isn't feeling that way.

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Fellow racers, I recognize the value of your thoughts. Thank You. Saturday, I was tired, frustrated, and disappointed about my changes. In retrospect, I have indeed made progress, and I think I am very close to a competitive setup. I will hang in.

PS, it did help to vent and hear some similar stories.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1834 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Larry,
When all else fails just look over at those young guns and smile and ask them if they checked their air pressure, that should get you .010!! ;-)

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I recently got a couple of new puppies.
I thought drag racing took a lot of time and effort.Nothing compared to them.
Maybe it's time for a new puppy and race less?

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
As I said earlier I am heading for the beach today. It is 44 degrees as I type this and is supposed to be in the 20s Sunday. Loose Rocker canceled at Piedmont. But for me life is good and I can still get fuel. Enjoy today, its all you have, no promise of tomorrow.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
Fellow racers,

Assuming you need some form of a hobby, what would you do if you were not drag racing.

To help with the discussion, I am age 75 and struggling to find the former fun. My son Jeff and I have had a great run. For the last 30 or so years, we have been very competitive and generally capable of winning at any track.

Go fishing! I do!

Jeff and I talk about this often, and both struggle to understand what happened to our competitive edge. At 75, have I run my course? In earlier years, if our race car had a problem, I considered it was challenging to find and correct it. Now, it just makes me tired and discouraged.

Your honest thoughts, please.

Jeff’s 65 and so am I. We’ve been doing this together since 1972. Brackets, Bikes. Door cars, front motor cars. Rear motor cars, comp and now a pro car in TS It’ fun but it’s work too. It all takes a toll on you. If you would have told us we’d be racing a 6.70 door car at 65 we’d had you committed! Trying to stay on top takes both of us at 100%! We’ve done ok but boy does it take a toll. Not spring chickens!! We look at guys like Greg Lair so there is hope for us! All depends on how you feel. If you feel it’s too much then call me! I’m all in fishing!!
We both said; when it’s not fun-we’re done!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4504 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
At 72 I just completed (?) a new build SST 95' S-10. The two year build time was actually fun. Having raced in S/C for the past 35+ years I'm looking for that retirement toy. When I'm not racing its competitive amateur golf. Cost wise it's not much cheaper than racing, it is however a complete change in scenery and pace. The biggest plus is here in Florida I can do both year round. Life is good. Relaxing

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
Fellow racers,

Assuming you need some form of a hobby, what would you do if you were not drag racing.

To help with the discussion, I am age 75 and struggling to find the former fun. My son Jeff and I have had a great run. For the last 30 or so years, we have been very competitive and generally capable of winning at any track.

Jeff and I talk about this often, and both struggle to understand what happened to our competitive edge. At 75, have I run my course? In earlier years, if our race car had a problem, I considered it was challenging to find and correct it. Now, it just makes me tired and discouraged.

Your honest thoughts, please.

What I've always done,even when I was racing and winning a lot.

I'd help others win.

It's very gratifying to get out of yourself, help others.

It's good for your mental well being too.

Winning is winning.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I am 75 years old as well...I have a few physical issues but can still race...I keep it very simple...bracket car...open trailer towed with my daily driver, a Yukon denali...

I recently had an event which put me at a crossroads...someone stole my race car and trailer...I had to decide if I should stop racing, start over or go to a street/strip car driven to the track...

I decided to start over one more time...I found a two year old open trailer in great shape and a turn key S-10 bracket truck a friend of mine built (see avatar)...nothing fancy but a nice piece that runs 6.20's in the 1/8th...

I know in teh not to distant future I will not be able to race like this...my plan is to sell the rig and get that pump gas street/strip car and drive to the track...probably will race no box and or sportsman at that point...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
I'm going to be 73 in a couple weeks. I guess they'll have to drag my dead a$$ out of the Fairmont.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
I'm 55, and probably won't ever be much quicker than the 7.teens I'm running now, but I hope to be doing it as long as you guys are.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
I am 57 and raced all my life. I have always went when I wanted and let it sit if I had other interest. Had a bunch of cars and won a lot of races in bracket, super, and top sportsman. At this point in my life I have the ability to go anywhere anytime and just don't care if I go or not just like I always have. I have zero interest in getting into racing for points or position and could sell it all and walk away and be just as happy. Allowing myself the freedom of where and when I go has always been good for me.

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Larry I admire your work, your personality, persistence, and know you guys can and will still win.

I am in my mid 50's and admire reading a thread like this and in reality am inspired by how long we can actually race as we age.

My family's has been heavily invested in the sport that we love and have so many friends from the sport that we are very grateful for. Many of us question ourselves often and adapt our operations to our comfort levels. I personally will be down sizing in the upcoming years as Cory is grown and racing on his own with more regularity.

Just last week, I hooked the pick up to the open trailer with the Chevy2 and went to Lufkin. Tested Friday night and got a room in town to race no box on Saturday. Had a great time! JUST as much fun as a toter, stacker, 3 cars and all crap that goes with it. Have fun or it will get old quick.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Well as most of you youngsters know April Fools day Fern will be 81, yes 81. Friday I will load up and head for Darlington to race Sat.

Chris I did the same thing awhile back, open trailer and F-150 and off to Farmiington. But since I have to spend the night I'll take the motor home to Darlington. All my friends are at a track somewhere.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
As a side note of humor. I never realized there were so many certified Social Security Card holders in this place. lol Me included... Like fine wine.....

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Hey I represent I mean resent that! Laughing Hard
A Bunch of cool guys here.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4504 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post