Find
Notify
Tools

HP build point
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
. Reading thru some old post and noticed a lot had a HP rating on various pieces. WOndering how most approach this.

You can build a 700 hp piece using stuff rated for say 800 Hp,but have choices of higher rated piece.

Cranks are one example. Transmission p[arts is big example.

Me like to buy most over rated part I can afford and most of time stretch the afford if it will destroy other parts or my car.

My motor is kind of example. Its old parts(almost new stuff) that was designed for fuel cars 20 years ago. As strong as TF stuff now no.Stronger than most 1000 hp motors by a long shot. I almost feel guilty using it such low power out put. Only doing so because I could afford it.Two short blocks sitting in corner aging is pretty cheap.Plus old technology brings 20 cent on dollar and not buying much of a crank for 600 bucks. LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Obviously some safety margin is a good thing. One exception I often find is a lot of the turbo race cars. Seems like as long as you don't step on your wiener with the tune, a lot are getting by for quite a while on severely underrated parts. Of course number of expected runs and trans brake use make a difference too. And cars that can keep away from hanging out loaded at peak torque tend to be easier on parts as well.

I would like to be dancing right around my rod rating this season if I ever get to race.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6380 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Prime example of Bucky's comment.

Little brother's turbo VRE-6 makes about 800 on stock VR-6 junkyard motors and cost about 200 bucks each. He said hey I can run crap out of it and if breaks I just swap in another.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Obviously not stock, but those little 4's can make some impressive race cars. Not exactly bracket racing friendly....
https://youtu.be/vYP0ovtiwNs

Over 1000 hp for the faster ones. 11,000 rpm.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6380 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Massel's little 4 banger is about 1400. 6.45 @ 208.
Little thing gets it. “SAAB” cylinder head lol.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Obviously not stock, but those little 4's can make some impressive race cars. Not exactly bracket racing friendly....
https://youtu.be/vYP0ovtiwNs

Over 1000 hp for the faster ones. 11,000 rpm.
His new combo with little bigger motor,cams,methanol and bigger turbo is suppose to be around 1200 to 13000 hp once he gets it worked out.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
not bracket race friendly. Pretty sure pushing lot more than the little Nazi's intended. LOL