DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    6.01 at 229 ride along
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.01 at 229 ride along
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted
Was actually working on my NHRA 6.10 tune up and this came up. Nipped a plug and laid over a bit otherwise it would of been 5.9x at 230. The run before went 6.11 at 189 lifting at 1000ft. Not bad for a Chevy in a suspended dragster on 3197 Mickeys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZzx_yMI6KE

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Bad ass

Stephen Liss jr

Posts: 329 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: April 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
I could listen to that all day.

Posts: 109 | Location: Florida - Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
What kind of 60' is a run like that? Very cool!
Nipping the plug a matter of too much timing, too little fuel or both?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

Just a little lean in 1 hole. 60 on that run was .968 pulling 8* at the hit with a 28* base and all back in by 2.5 secs. The run before was .964 pulling 6* and went 6.11 lifting at 1000ft

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Sweet video Steve!!

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Don't forget his car is not as light as you might think either...….

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

Just a little lean in 1 hole. 60 on that run was .968 pulling 8* at the hit with a 28* base and all back in by 2.5 secs. The run before was .964 pulling 6* and went 6.11 lifting at 1000ft

Gittin it!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Sweet video!!

Can I ask a question from the viewpoint of someone who is not familiar with the supercharged setup. Can you explain the staging process?? With the glare on the tree I can’t see the order in which you’re doing things. I’ve always wondered if the “lope” a supercharger makes staging the same difficult? So I’m assuming that’s a SLE you’re using to “smooth” the idle to stage, but are you activating that before you pre-stage, after you pre-stage? There again I guess if I could see the tree in the video I wouldn’t have to ask this?? Thanks

Posts: 115 | Location: 2008 IHRA SSS No Box WC | Registered: June 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Great video... Shall we say "Stem Roller" at it's best. Head phones at at 10 lol. Honey the house is on fire. Just wait a minute lol.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LIZZARD:
Sweet video!!

Can I ask a question from the viewpoint of someone who is not familiar with the supercharged setup. Can you explain the staging process?? With the glare on the tree I can’t see the order in which you’re doing things. I’ve always wondered if the “lope” a supercharger makes staging the same difficult? So I’m assuming that’s a SLE you’re using to “smooth” the idle to stage, but are you activating that before you pre-stage, after you pre-stage? There again I guess if I could see the tree in the video I wouldn’t have to ask this?? Thanks

Staging process is no different than any full tree bracket car. Yes blower surge can make staging hard if its really bad. Mine only seems to surge when its a little cold, once it warms up it smooths out. I do have an SLE, right before I put the top stage bulb on I push a button that activates the SLE and also turns on the data logger then stage normal. I let go on the top bulb with my foot already on the floor and let the delay box take it from there.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Thanks for taking us along, just awesome big Steve.....

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sweet video!!

The idle surge can make it difficult to stage, yes. Been there done that.

Steve will get that tuned out. It's somewhat of a moving target to get the surge out depending on conditions and the general tune-up ….

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
quote:
Sweet video!!

The idle surge can make it difficult to stage, yes. Been there done that.

Steve will get that tuned out. It's somewhat of a moving target to get the surge out depending on conditions and the general tune-up ….

Definitely a moving target, the run before this one had no surge and this one had a little but was gone once I backed up. A cold engine and air seems to make it worse

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the responses and sorry to ask novice questions. So using the video above, to the novice listener like myself, I can tell once you’ve backed up and cleared it out a little and start the move forward that the motor sounds smoother (no surge). The reason for this is because the motor/tuneup effects that whether it’s temperature or whatever your tuneup needs or calls for? It’s nothing to do with the SLE being activated and the rpm’s smoothing the surge out? I hope I’m wording this the correct way... Thanks again

Posts: 115 | Location: 2008 IHRA SSS No Box WC | Registered: June 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I guess the reason I keep asking or including the SLE part is that I’ve heard some people say they use the SLE to increase the rpm’s a little above idle to smooth even the non-supercharged engines out to make the staging process easier for them. Just curious if this is used with the supercharged setups.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
Wow, that was fun from my couch. Can only imagine the rush it is in the seat. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 62 | Location: wisc | Registered: January 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Appreciate the responses and sorry to ask novice questions. So using the video above, to the novice listener like myself, I can tell once you’ve backed up and cleared it out a little and start the move forward that the motor sounds smoother (no surge). The reason for this is because the motor/tuneup effects that whether it’s temperature or whatever your tuneup needs or calls for? It’s nothing to do with the SLE being activated and the rpm’s smoothing the surge out? I hope I’m wording this the correct way... Thanks again

Yes nothing to do with the SLE when it smoothed out, just the engine getting up to temperature. My SLE is set neutral, when I put my foot down the blades do not move. But yes you could and people do adjust it to raise the idle a little bit or allot if you want, I always found it distracting so don't do it.
The main reason I use it is for consistency, the 2 step is hard on a blower engine so dont want it on any longer than necessary and plus its just 1 less thing to think about

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess the reason I keep asking or including the SLE part is that I’ve heard some people say they use the SLE to increase the rpm’s a little above idle to smooth even the non-supercharged engines out to make the staging process easier for them. Just curious if this is used with the supercharged setups.

Works great for turbo bracket cars where you don't want to go all the way to a bump box. I used it for years when I had a stock pump in the trans to raise the pressure a little so the car didn't rock back and unstage you when shallow staging. If you run into low pressure, and hit the tbrake, it can rock back a little. a little extra idle rpm fixes it.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
That looks like fun! What's the engine combo?

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post