DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    What do you consider a high dollar win?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you consider a high dollar win?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted
I hear this term used a lot on this site. What is considered a high dollar win?

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I am very low on the food chain, so to me, a win that results in you getting $1,000 or more is a high dollar win. Wouldn't matter if you lost at 16 cars or won the entire event. If you took home $1,000 or more, that would count as a high dollar win to me. I haven't done that very often, myself. But then, that isn't why I do it. Smile Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I would consider a "High Dollar Win" 10k or more these days. Basically, an amount of money that can cover my racing season (Entry Fees, Fuel Costs, Diesel in the truck...stuff like that). If I won 50k, that would pay off my entire racing program. However, if I break even racing, I consider that a major success story!

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
“High dollar” is at least double of what you can win weekly at your local track’s bracket program and 99% of serious bracket racers which are those that race every week during the season and/or travel the country to compete at all the SFG, Fling and similar big $ races, do not break even.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I had two weekends last year where I came home with more than I spent.

To me,that is a high dollar win,and I didn't even win.

If the entry and fuel to get there exceeds what you could possibly win, even if you win,I don't see how that could be considered a high dollar win.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Bingo Ed.

Posts: 6197 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
For me, a high dollar win is to make the Split (if there is one) and get more than the guaranteed payout. Then generally, only the winner receives less than the big check posted number.

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
Historically, $5K's and up are considered big money races, which is what I base the Master Schedule on, although $5K's have become almost commonplace. 7's and 10's are the new low man on the totem pole.

Hell, $3K is still a lot of money to me.

"It's all good. Some's just better than others." - Billy Nees

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5727 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I agree Michael. If I can hit a split in a $3000, a $10,000 or a $25,000 its all good. Locally the points races usually pay $1500 (Box vs No Box final) and usually this is split into $1100 to $1200 ea. Anything covering costs is "Big Enough", getting to cash in for a few thousand pays a lot of entry fees and buybacks.
Your Loose Rocker Payouts are OUTSTANDING btw!!!!

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1216 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Pffffft, and I'm just over here thinking that winning first round and saving the buyback is a big dollar win..... Big Grin

In common parlance around here, $3K - $5K minimum. to be called a "big dollar" race.

Then I read the question again..."high dollar" would be $10K minimum, OR, it could be used to describe a race that is expensive to attend.?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1603 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
At present, I think 10 grand is high dollar...with the expense side of the ledger rising like it is this may change for many of us including the promoters...

Posts: 1272 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
$1.98?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5297 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Anytime you get a Happy Gilmore check.

Posts: 518 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Sunshine paid $2200 to win Super Pro way back in 2001 every Friday night 43 race championship season.

$2200 winner and $1200 runner-up adjusted to the value of money today.

Decent, if you're in 13 finals on 21 entry's, you can fund it easily.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Damn! 43 race championship series!!! That would really be an accomplishment to win. Gotta keep the parts and car together and working for 83% of the weekends in the year.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
Damn! 43 race championship series!!! That would really be an accomplishment to win. Gotta keep the parts and car together and working for 83% of the weekends in the year.

Everyone had two engines and two transmissions. I had two carb to starter plug in steel headed BBC's 427 + 060 and 454 + 060 both over 700 hp in a 60's factory condition muscle car on a 10" tire with 400 lbs of lead ballast in the trunk.

43 races plus another 5 special events. We raced year round.

When I got in just about every service station, mechanic shop, auto part store had a Super Pro car they raced at Sunshine Dragstrip, at one time or another.

It was worthwhile to.

Any race you're in to stay in the green, is a big money race.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I can remember racing 6 times a week a long time ago---Tom do you remember racing 75&80 and Hagerstown the same day? 75&80 raced on Wend

Posts: 6197 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
In socal, Your lucky to get a $500 gambler going. But we have the million just 6 hours up the road.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 235 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Big money is any money which puts you in the green for your racing lifespan.

There's very few of us in the green.

In the green, racing is funded by racing.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
I can remember racing 6 times a week a long time ago---Tom do you remember racing 75&80 and Hagerstown the same day? 75&80 raced on Wend

Yep. What I still consider to be the golden age of bracket racing. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post