Find
Notify
Tools

Race anyway
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted
Good timing for me, as I fight through a vicious slump that has me pondering what to do.

Race anyway

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of willys1191
posted Hide Post
ChuckT,
I think we have all been there, I know I have over the years. Just remember you will lose more then you will win. Old man told me that when I started racing and man was he right.

Hey Chuck Hope to see you next week Big Grin

Posts: 66 | Location: Enola, Pa | Registered: August 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckT:
Good timing for me, as I fight through a vicious slump that has me pondering what to do.

Race anyway

Puts things in perspective!
Thanks Chuck.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4481 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
OK, how well I remember coming home with empty pockets after a bad night and hearing this: "whats wrong?, you always win something". REALLY! My last 2 outings I have not won a round, not 1. But guess what Fern is 78 and will be right back out there. RACE ANYWAY.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Load up and head to Norwalk Chuck. Sometimes you just need a change of tracks.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
Chuck, I'm right along with you. This year more so than ever, ive been contemplating throwing in the towel. I agree with green1, try a different track once in a while. It didnt help me much, but it is nice to get to other tracks to compete against a different crew. It may change your perspective

Posts: 105 | Location: PA | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Dale Greenawald
posted Hide Post
I agree going to a different track makes a difference. I will see you guys at the sniper race.

ICS RACING ENGINES

Posts: 82 | Location: Burgettstown,Pa. | Registered: March 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Saw this on FB this morning and shared it on my timeline. I hope to keep hammering away till they put me in the ground.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Hell was basically out for 15 years.Except helping tune on some Top alcohol cars and little brother bracket dragster.

What happens? Like any addiction it rares its head again.

Take my word for this restarting after being out is harder and cost lot more than it did. So just keep chugging away.When its bad its only got one way to go,UP .

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
By the way. While I was out.I just spent same money just on T&A,parting and making Harley run like race car.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I read the article and I can't decide one way or the other on it. I'm a budget type person, and I usually budget an amount for how much a season of racing will cost. This year a motor failure, requiring a few grand of repairs made me hit that budget number pretty quickly. I don't own a credit card, so I don't quite agree with the "borrow as much as you can" mentality.

I've never been willing to give up, but plenty of times I've considered choosing a slower car! lol

Posts: 287 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
We drove 18 hours for a 5 day race only to win a total of 5 rounds. Worked on the car and picked up .5 in a 1/8 mile race, and I would do it over and over. We had a great time meeting a lot of new friends. I seem to be ready to race all the time. Life is to short not too....

clapping

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:
I read the article and I can't decide one way or the other on it. I'm a budget type person, and I usually budget an amount for how much a season of racing will cost. This year a motor failure, requiring a few grand of repairs made me hit that budget number pretty quickly. I don't own a credit card, so I don't quite agree with the "borrow as much as you can" mentality.

I've never been willing to give up, but plenty of times I've considered choosing a slower car! lol

If I really believed I was spending too much money on my hobby (bracket racing), I'd stop. If I stop having fun, I'd also quit. Fortunately, I almost always have fun. Smile Winning is not a requirement for me. I do take some of the things that come out of intense competition personally. Those silly things are probably the most likely thing that would make me quit, because those are the things that can interfere with my enjoyment. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I also saw this and shared it earlier this week. It was something I really needed to hear at the time. I just got back into racing this year - spent everything I had and then some to do it - and made a total of 8 passes before my engine let go Frown I was ready to throw in the towel for good this time, but I didn't. It's back together now and I am fighting a couple of little gremlins, but hopefully I'll be racing again soon.

Posts: 15 | Location: Union, KY | Registered: April 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by willys1191:

Hey Chuck Hope to see you next week Big Grin

Yessir, either in the lanes or in the waterbox.

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
OK, how well I remember coming home with empty pockets after a bad night and hearing this: "whats wrong?, you always win something". REALLY! My last 2 outings I have not won a round, not 1. But guess what Fern is 78 and will be right back out there. RACE ANYWAY.

Fern, my plan, if the fates allow, is to be doing the same thing at your age.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
Load up and head to Norwalk Chuck. Sometimes you just need a change of tracks.

Double entered, and really looking forward to it.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Hell was basically out for 15 years.Except helping tune on some Top alcohol cars and little brother bracket dragster.

What happens? Like any addiction it rares its head again.

Take my word for this restarting after being out is harder and cost lot more than it did. So just keep chugging away.When its bad its only got one way to go,UP .

Good points, Chris, thanks.

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I just spent four days at the division 9 IHRA finals at darlington...nothing, and I mean nothing went right for me...first day, idle issues...second day, tranny issues...third day, car slowing every pass issues...fourth day on the trailer rather than hurt anything major...

All this after towing 8 hours to get there, four nights in a hotel and three entry fees plus three buybacks...a total of 8 passes, 5 on the first day...

Oh yeah, a put full five gallon fuel jug in the back of my Yukon that had a leak in the bottom unbeknownst to me...towed 8 hours home with that smell going on...

With all of the above I had a ball like I always do...yes, some days you are the bug and some days you are the windshield...my car will be fixed this week and I will race again as soon as possible...

I am a young dood unlike Fern...I am 72...lol...I love drag racing and and all the characters in it...

Posts: 1276 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it takes a change up to spark your interest in racing again. I have been doing this for 32 years now. I could have way more in retirement and probably have this house paid off if it weren't for racing. New combo for me this year and really enjoying it again. I will say I wish the local tracks were able to help make the experience of a day at the track more enjoyable. One track really tries. The other is struggling to keep any employee that cares at all about racing, or even serving customers.(some employees are great, just not many of those left) I would pay extra money to have electric hook ups for the weekend. And a fresh waster and dump station wouldn't cost a fortune to put in, and would be pretty exceptional as well. No need for that when I was younger. But not listening to generators all day and night would be nice. Hell, some shade here and there would be nice as well.

A few years back I really considered not racing. The entire experience had really become uninteresting to me. Some racing friends had moved on or race at other tracks. It just wasn't great anymore.
Then my son started jr racing, and that pretty much insured another 8 years in the sport. Visiting other tracks helps too.

I really don't know if I will do this in retirement. I spend a lot of time and money on racing. I should work out more than I do. That's probably something I would focus on more if I didn't race. Or so I tell myself. LOL.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6380 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post