Find
Notify
Tools

MI Dragstrips
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Anyone race in MI?

I'm looking to do some more drag racing in MI this summer. I've raced at Ubly, Milan, Martin & Lapeer, planning to return to Ubly. Looking to race the other tracks I have not been to: Onondaga, Northern Michigan Dragway & Mid Michigan Motorplex.

Mid Michigan has been on the bucket list for a long time for the 50k race. I'm a little unsure about being able to race there, they are supposed to be WDRA & don't know if they will honor NHRA credentials. Plus, for the 50K race they're only allowing 35 racers to enter bottom bulb class. I guess I need to start inquiring about the requirements.

Any information about the tracks I haven't run at would be appreciated.

2BKING Smile

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2520 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Wildman
posted Hide Post
131, Mid, Lapeer and ubly are supposedly all WDRA. You will be fine. Yes the no box side of the 50 is a small car count and it fills quickly. Northern is fun, can be sandy depending on where you park, no sanction to my knowledge. Personally I wouldn't waste my time and dollars on ubly, but that is up to you.

Posts: 109 | Location: at a dragstrip near you | Registered: April 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you go to Milan you HAVE to go to the little store just south of the track on Plank RD, they have the best polish sausages I have ever had, in the winter I make the 200 mile rd trip and get about 10 packages of them for the off-season.

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

#1 goal is to have fun & Northern looked like a cool place. I looked at the satellite view & was slightly confused about pits/staging lanes on both sides of the track.

When we raced in the past, Ubly was one of the most kicked back & relaxing times we had while racing in MI. Lapeer was a shyt hole, when we were there; but has new owner(s) & improvements, that I here.

I'm going to contact Mid about the 50k race & get more info about the no box class.

Besides Mid, this 2-month summer trip is about having fun while racing. My sister, brother-in-law & friends like to tag along or race. I got some wins in the past & that was icing on the cake!

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2520 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Wildman
posted Hide Post
When you raced at Ubly it was operated by Tom and Sharon Ledford & family, those days are long gone, they do own and operate Northern.

Posts: 109 | Location: at a dragstrip near you | Registered: April 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Wildman
posted Hide Post
I haven't been to Northern since 2015, I have heard they have added more pit space.

I have only raced Lapeer once since Bill took over and resurfaced the track. The track worked well and he is continually working to improve the place. His bracket program is limited but well attended from what I understand.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wildman! Maybe we'll give Lapeer a try again instead of Ubly.

I'm going to contact Northern & Mid, plus I'm looking into tracks in Northern IN & OH. My dad's place is south central MI & looking for places somewhat close.

2BKING Smile

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
#1 goal is to have fun & Northern looked like a cool place. I looked at the satellite view & was slightly confused about pits/staging lanes on both sides of the track.

I ran up there once a few years ago and had an absolute blast. Here are a couple posts from the trip:

Northern Michigan #1

Northern Michigan #2

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5727 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We run at 131 with the NMCA in July, it is a bit hectic as its also an NMRA race so place gets really full but very nice track. You will be in the grass at a big race there for sure.

You might want to throw an Ohio track or two to that list. Some really nice places to race in that part of the world if you are willing to travel a few hours which is not even an option here.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 987 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Beard:
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:

I ran up there once a few years ago and had an absolute blast. Here are a couple posts from the trip:

Northern Michigan #1

Northern Michigan #2

Thanks M Beard, The Bowtie Challenge is the race race I'm looking at running. Your post clarified how the system works & I think the race is scheduled for the end of June.

2BKING Thanks again Michael!

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
We run at 131 with the NMCA in July, it is a bit hectic as its also an NMRA race so place gets really full but very nice track. You will be in the grass at a big race there for sure.

You might want to throw an Ohio track or two to that list. Some really nice places to race in that part of the world if you are willing to travel a few hours which is not even an option here.

Thanks Al, 131 is a nice facility & I raced there in 2013 or 14. My dad & step-mom took us there as kids. That's where the seed was planted in my mind to someday drag race.

I'm looking at OH, but it seems like I'm pre-booking too many races in MI.

My main purpose for going back to MI is putting up wood for my dad. Hauling the car back & racing is a side gig, time permitting.

2BKING is grateful for all the information!

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks M Beard, The Bowtie Challenge is the race race I'm looking at running. Your post clarified how the system works & I think the race is scheduled for the end of June.

There are 4 staging lanes on each side of the track. Odd numbers are Left, even numbers are Right. They call the (Chevys in the Bowtie Battle example) to lanes 2 & 3, and everyone else to 1 & 2, then pair cars side by side (1&2, 3&4), so you always have a Chevy vs something else. It's a late crowd, and they DO get a crowd. I don't think there's much to do up there besides huntin', fishin', and racin'. Saturday morning of the event, I slept in and still have a few hours to kill before they even started time runs. Headed west until I ran into the lake and did what I call drive-by sightseeing, and just followed the lake north. Found a little diner, had a GREAT burger, then turned the GPS on to get back to the track. Fun adventure.

Here's that original post:
Northern Michigan sightseeing

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5727 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
armco guardrails Shake head perfect place for the clueless to race their shytboxes. Better make sure they have a place for the life flight chopper to land.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
That's the risk I'll take if I decide to race there, same as M. Beard; I'm not scared. Wink I've made a trip in the flight for life chopper in 2009, 2-year recovery; I'm not scared. Wink

Clueless is you in the driver's seat with your brain bucket on, trying to compete; with not a clue on how to get out of the 1st round (Big Duck)! You have chosen to ride on your son's coattails & not be clueless in the compete seat. You & your son will find out soon enough, how clueless you're in the compete seat!

Now, where are your adamant stupid street outlaw keyboard call outs at? I'm coming East of the Mississippi & trying to get in "The Original $50 Grander" as they state.

2BKING is not scared! Wink

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
you are skeered!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Thurston
posted Hide Post
Northern's Mopar against the world is another great race they put on. I think it's at the end of July this year. Reasonable entry fee, with a great pay out.

BRACKET I (box class)
$2000 to Win Friday/$6000 to Win Saturday
$175 weekend entry or $100 Friday/$125 Saturday
$40 re-entry Friday/$50 re-entry Saturday

RACKET II (no box class)
$2000 to Win Friday/$10,000 to Win Saturday

Posts: 68 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thurston:
Northern's Mopar against the world is another great race they put on. I think it's at the end of July this year. Reasonable entry fee, with a great pay out.

BRACKET I (box class)
$2000 to Win Friday/$6000 to Win Saturday

RACKET II (no box class)
$2000 to Win Friday/$10,000 to Win Saturday

Thanks Thurston!

I run no box & I see the payout is $2,500 higher than the Bowtie race. I wonder if it's a typo in their schedule or it's not as popular race.

ED, if it makes you feel better about yourself, I'm scared! Now, I'm calling you out on your callouts; you must be skeered!

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Trophy
Picture of Thurston
posted Hide Post
The Mopar race has been going on for years. I believe they started the Bowtie race some years back, because of the success of the Mopar raced. And they also have a similar race the the FOMOCO bunch.

Keep in mind the truck is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, in the Northern part of the lower peninsula. Gotta go about a half mile down a dirt road to get to the gate. But always had a great time.

Posts: 68 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks again!

I'll probably run the Bowtie event in June. The Mopar race date is too close to the Mid Michigan 50k race, that I hope to get into the 32 car no box class.

2BKING Smile

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
The Mid Mich Motorplex has a cool nobox program for the $50K. We usually race the $50, but this year we are planning on racing PDRA at 131 that weekend. You can't go wrong with Northern Mi Dragway either.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post