DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Tongue mounted generator compartment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tongue mounted generator compartment
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Is there anyone who makes these that one could ad themselves? Was not something I considered before getting my current trailer last year. Seems like a great idea to me as it pretty much "dead space"

Something like this

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Great question and that thing is a beauty! I'm trying to imagine the layout it in. Jack and hydraulics in the bottom and generator maybe. Makes refueling difficult if it is high.

Looks like the bottom door at least is removable. I would have to find a safe place to store that during race day. Wonder if the bottom is open? That's where some of the Onan cooling happens.

I think I have seen a stacker or two that had the generator above the rear loading door. Wonder what that is like. Probably quiet in the motorhome anyhow.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I don't believe this one is for a generator just storage. We have another enclosed trailer with the bottom cabinet similar to that. Just thinking why could one not have a compartment for the generator in the "wasted" space?

T&E puts the gensets up high in the rear. Very quiet. I am just looking for ways to use that space up there. I have 60" tongue seems liek a good place for it. I currently use a traditional side compartment for my Honda but looking to go to a bigger generator and looking for ideas. I also have my compressor mounted in the current compartment with my ES3000.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
This place has some smaller ones, but no prices
http://www.truckbox.com/generatorboxes.html

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
This place has some smaller ones, but no prices
http://www.truckbox.com/generatorboxes.html

That'll work good until ya gotta service the generator. I considered one. They're definitely nice.

Convenient / efficient to pull the lid to work on it. I use this to power the house during hurricane outages as well. So it has some run time for sure. We lost power for a month last go around.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just another view of that box. Seems like a great place for a generator.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Talk about tongue weight!
That's a big stack of cabinets.

Posts: 2154 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
A Stock racer I know has a custom made box on the front of his trailer.

About the size of the lower box in your picture.

Has an Onan 5.5 kw gas unit in it mounted on the upper shelf section and room below it for storage and a fuel tank. Easy to service the generator.

That is the nicest one I've seen and maybe was made by Gold Rush....

I just removed a generator from a game trailer that has a steel frame built for the generator and a removable aluminum diamond plate box cover with separate front removable door.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
The 5.5KW Onan is like 33" wide x 22" deep so it will hang over the edge a significant amount on my trailer unless I turned it long ways on the tongue.

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
The 5.5KW Onan is like 33" wide x 22" deep so it will hang over the edge a significant amount on my trailer unless I turned it long ways on the tongue.

Ya hate to get a long tongue and have the generator box then be the closest thing to touching on a tight backup.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
A Stock racer I know has a custom made box on the front of his trailer.

About the size of the lower box in your picture.

Has an Onan 5.5 kw gas unit in it mounted on the upper shelf section and room below it for storage and a fuel tank. Easy to service the generator.

That is the nicest one I've seen and maybe was made by Gold Rush....

I just removed a generator from a game trailer that has a steel frame built for the generator and a removable aluminum diamond plate box cover with separate front removable door.

It would be so slick to have the generator, battery and all the generator fuel out of the trailer.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
Just another view of that box. Seems like a great place for a generator.

that's where mine is, it does add to the tongue weight this for sure... I'm fairly heavy now

This message has been edited. Last edited by: seabass,

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1517 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I could see maybe a slight change in the tongue weight but my generator like most is already as far forward in the box as it can be and all on one side. I wonder how much it would actually change the tongue weight?

Did that one come with your InTech? Was not something I thought of when having mine done. Now I wish I had, just like the awning I wish i now had Smile

Marcus Tullius Cicero

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Me Bass,
Do you run the generator on the tongue or take it out?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Me Bass,

I could be wrong but I believe J.R has a EU7000 and it is on a slide. I am going to look at it this weekend

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Me Bass,

Yes on a slide , eu7000, I just slide it out when I use it. I would think any decent trailer manufacture could add a box similar to this to your trailer.. I had Intech build mine when the trailer was being built

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1517 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
Must be a shortage of EU7000s right now.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
For the additional weight of the generator on the tongue, I just moved the car back 2".

Is that a no no? Confused

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post