DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    NHRA Unfinished Business
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NHRA Unfinished Business
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted
Was wondering if anyone has some details about the Unfinished Business race at the Gators? It looked like V6 Toyota Camry’s, but the spread in ET and mph was high for what I was thinking are stock cars. Of course WJ won the 3 round race. His car seemed to be the quickest and fastest. I’m thinking the Professor found some power.
It would be interesting to know the back story, as far as the cars and if the drivers could modify them.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
He was pretty coy about it. He just got in and drove it. LOL.
Pocket programmer? Icing between rounds? It wasn't just a little better performance. It was considerable every round.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6378 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Probably the same way he went fast in prostock.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I would say that there were no mods done to any of the cars. I'm pretty sure that WJ made the best out of turning off the traction control, shifting manually and launch RPM.

That being said, for whatever reason, WJ's was the quickest car. After the final WJ and Mc Cullough switched cars, Ed beat WJ in WJ's car.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
WJ probably rented a Camry for a day and learned how to maximize the features, as stated above.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Larry Morgan said WJ had every tech manual available for the Camry and was buried in them for a couple of days!

I'm not in a bad mood, I just look that way.........

Posts: 990 | Location: Kingman, Arizona | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
They called him the Professor for a reason!

Posts: 1413 | Location: Yarnell, AZ | Registered: August 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
I’ll say this. WJ’s V6 Camry was quicker then my new 5.0 1990 Mustang as received from Ford. I think it was rated at 225hp.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
I’ll say this. WJ’s V6 Camry was quicker then my new 5.0 1990 Mustang as received from Ford. I think it was rated at 225hp.

300 hp is nothing to sneeze at. Of course, the Impala had that as well. Little bigger car. Toyota doesn't have to worry about that competition anymore.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6378 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I liked the interviews with them and could listen to those guys for hours.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":

That being said, for whatever reason, WJ's was the quickest car. After the final WJ and Mc Cullough switched cars, Ed beat WJ in WJ's car.

I’d say the reason was that they didn’t drain the fuel tanks.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post