Notify
Tools

Safety and Rules
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NortonRacing:
I am pro safety but some of the cert/recert rules are asinine. The SFI organization is a monopoly that needs to put back in check to some degree. They do a lot of good but some of the fees they charge are flat out money grabs.

Some of the impractical money grab rules really dilute the credibility of the rest of the program. But enforcing the rules in a more practical way would be a logistic nightmare

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
Actually it is likely it is more about the "fine of $1000.00 " than safety. Where does the $1000.00 end up? In a charity, since NHRA is non-profit that would seem fair. LOL. (probably helps cover those huge payouts maybe?)

i think i read some of these on nhraracer and they said the $ would be put back in to support safety safari. i assume to buy equipment or something.

ep

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
my new car will primarily be ran in SG. i have installed a fire bottle in it. does it need to be unpinned if i run SG and not TS?

ep-i plan om unpinning any way. just curious how this would work.

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you have a window net it must be up regardless of class requirements, based on that precedent I would say it must be unpinned.

Posts: 89 | Location: Inverness, Fl | Registered: November 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
my new car will primarily be ran in SG. i have installed a fire bottle in it. does it need to be unpinned if i run SG and not TS?

Anything that is beyond required equipment, is optional.

Other than for storage and transport, I don't know why it would ever be pinned anyway.

I had a newbie at IRP question my fire extinguisher mount, so I asked if he'd feel better if I removed it from the vehicle. It's not required.
He reckoned it was okay.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1662 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
There was drama on the internet recently about rules enforcement at (of all places) a big junior dragster event at Bristol. Apparently, even after being warned, some kids were tossed for loose belts/leaning out of cage/loose neck collars or some such. And then, predictably, some parents were outraged about kids getting tossed, even though the rules are to protect their own kids.

About 3-4 weeks later, I was racing brackets at my local tack in Georgia when an announcement was made over the PA reminding all that kids caught with loose belts and/or neck collars, and/or leaning forward out of the cage, would be DQ'ed.

Apparently we have a lot of slow learners in our hobby lately.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I have been told by more than one track tech that if you install safety equipment, even if not required, it then must be up to code...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Yeager:
I would think think that friendly warning would go a long way before nailing the competitor with a $1000 fine.
It is my understanding that each driver was warned beforehand to remove the safety pins from the fire suppression system. Some of these said drivers neglected to remove the pin from their activation handles as wells. This was the purpose of the fine.

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
There is safety to protect others from you, and then there is safety to protect you from you. The 2nd should be at the option of the pilot unless they are willing to cover your injuries.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T/D6591:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Yeager:
I would think think that friendly warning would go a long way before nailing the competitor with a $1000 fine.
It is my understanding that each driver was warned beforehand to remove the safety pins from the fire suppression system. Some of these said drivers neglected to remove the pin from their activation handles as wells. This was the purpose of the fine.

That’s what happened in Sonoma. Were warned and rechecked.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4498 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Quote; a big junior dragster event at Bristol. Apparently, even after being warned, some kids were tossed for loose belts/leaning out of cage/loose neck collars or some such. And then, predictably, some parents were outraged about kids getting tossed, even though the rules are to protect their own kids.

Well I wonder where they saw that?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4498 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
Quote; a big junior dragster event at Bristol. Apparently, even after being warned, some kids were tossed for loose belts/leaning out of cage/loose neck collars or some such. And then, predictably, some parents were outraged about kids getting tossed, even though the rules are to protect their own kids.

Well I wonder where they saw that?

That’s what I read as well

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Some of the people had every reason to be complaining about getting busted. They were going off of the word of other competitors and parents. One was tossed and they brought video proof it was not true. Still tossed, I would have blown my lid too.

Some where guilty no doubt but way more to the story than whats been posted here.

Posts: 89 | Location: Inverness, Fl | Registered: November 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
doesn't matter what you've been told, heard, read.

It's the NHRA's rules and playground. what they decide is final and can not be disputed.

That said, there is absolutely no reason for any driver of any age to be hanging out of the cage.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes, because no official ever made a bad call and no one ever has the right to be upset about it.

I want whatever you are drinking....

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Don’t matter, their rules, their playground. All calls are final!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:

Depending on activation I guess. After buy few because of accidental activation you will pin n them when car is not on track. With funny car we unpinned after the driver was in and before starter went on and repinned at end of track before towing back. While not practical for bracket car I would still pin if possible for eny time not making run.
Anything that is beyond required equipment, is optional.

Other than for storage and transport, I don't know why it would ever be pinned anyway.

I had a newbie at IRP question my fire extinguisher mount, so I asked if he'd feel better if I removed it from the vehicle. It's not required.
He reckoned it was okay.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
There is safety to protect others from you, and then there is safety to protect you from you. The 2nd should be at the option of the pilot unless they are willing to cover your injuries.

Agree 1000%. IMO this applies to daily driver seat belts and motorcycle helmets, but this argument for different place and time. JMO

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just go to a big dollar race then there are no rules there, pay your $$ and race. And as Ed says their playground their rules you,pay you accept it.

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NortonRacing:
Some of the people had every reason to be complaining about getting busted. They were going off of the word of other competitors and parents. One was tossed and they brought video proof it was not true. Still tossed, I would have blown my lid too.

Some where guilty no doubt but way more to the story than whats been posted here.

That video proof was about as convincing as the bone killers video. Jmo

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo