DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Inflation cost per run
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inflation cost per run
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
For me, without counting travel, entry fees, etc, just the S10, I have it at about $17.00 per run for basic expenses and not counting "accelerated depreciation" if something breaks.
We get about 600-700 runs on an engine (the current 565 in the dragster is on 8th season and oil samples are perfect).
It is pretty irrelevant as I am going to go racing anyway but in the end I travel less, don't go to local $1000 to win races very often. We are lucky in Iowa, with double entry in Box I will have entered 36 races that pay a minimum of $5000 to win with the best of $50K.

I think Ed is right, the economy will be what it is, racers will race but in the end it will be WHETHER THE TRACKS CAN STAY PROFITABLE AND REMAIN IN OPERATION. Time will tell.

Please vote in November and help our chances of restoring "normal" to the USA.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Second hardest part for me to get use to I guess. So many runs on stuff.

I mean 100 run on tires.Heck I am use to WTH you mean you have 25 runs on set of tires or you said 16 run on rods not sixty. Right? And I was the one asking that question.

I know cars run a lot less on edge but not dropping pan every cpl races is just feeling lazy and asking for problem.Not popping new plugs in every other run or least cpl to read and verify the egt's are what they say they are.I am use to oil and plugs costing more than you guys figure per run. Maybe why broke as hell.LMBAO

Oh hardest is idea of not tuning for more every pass, probably why hard to get revved up for this deal. Right now cost per run be almost nothing might help. I had same figure as the cpl who replied roughly but figured dang got to be missing something.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4178 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Correct that. I either need to expect more runs or get cheaper parts which would damn sure mean less runs on them. My cost per run calculates out to almost dbl those few posted. Again probably me over doing maintains on stuff just out of habit. Fuel and oil is almost what most have for cpr. NLOL

Posts: 4178 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Over the past year with the cost of towing , entry fees, tires, oil , alkyl . I spent $23 a hit , each one doesn’t add up to seeing all my friends which is priceless. As Ed would say “a nobody with a junk car “, but I’m still having a great time every time I roll into the track.

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
How much you spend is not determining factor of somebody or nobody thinking they are something more than they are not.

Having fun is the goal and doing so means you are winning the biggest race of all.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:
Over the past year with the cost of towing , entry fees, tires, oil , alkyl . I spent $23 a hit , each one doesn’t add up to seeing all my friends which is priceless. As Ed would say “a nobody with a junk car “, but I’m still having a great time every time I roll into the track.

JRED, there seems to be a good many in our crowd & I wouldn't have it any other way. ED is a nobody, who thinks he's somebody. He has top-of-the-line cars & equipment with some China junk also & I give him credit for that.

The #1 Forum(s) B1tch doesn't even drive his race vehicles anymore. While us nobody's are still getting it done with our junk & having fun. He's scared to climb in & compete, fear of them many years of 1st round losing; he did the smart thing & quit.

Wait for it, #1 B1tch will come back with one of his Street Outlaw Wanna-Be callouts. Clue you in B1tch tiii..ts, there are no callouts in Bracket Racing. Maybe you can talk with Luke & have him do a write up on bracket racing callouts; you could be on the forefront of bracket racing! Wink

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2520 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:

you are what you are!

Meanwhile I, the majority that have replied here and serious bracket racers all across the country don't care what it cost per run and never cared! It is what it is and the cost to play at the level we chose.

This thread is all about a broke dyck that is not a bracket racer, never was, never will be that don't have the coin or car to bracket race reaching out to other broke dycks of the same ilk and concern.

If you ain't got the coin, the dreamers have 2 options, playing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIL-xMWzelE&t=38s

or watching Laughing very hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZS37ItjsFQ

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Man, you guys missed the assignment!!!
Cost per run is what it cost to make a pass down the dragstrip and isn't going to change regardless of whether you are at a local T&T or travelled cross country to the Million.....

7.20 BBC dragster on alcohol - off the top of my head, my approximate cost per run is $33.14

Alcohol - $175.00 per drum, 2 gal per run $6.48
motor oil - $75.00 to change, every 60 runs 1.25
slicks - $800.00 per pair, 100 runs 8.00
springs / lifters $750.00 every 125 runs 6.00
freshen engine - $3500.00, every 400 runs 8.75
freshen trans, $800 every 300 runs 2.66
-------------
Total cost per run: $33.14

Obviously this is just the consistent, known consumables but it would be pretty hard to calculate the other stuff we break or use up.
Cost per run is kind of like the number of guys your wife slept with before you met her - whether the number concerns you or not, it still exists!

I like the way you broke things down, makes total sense. I did the same and come in with roughly $18 a run for our door cars running 6.20's-6.40's. Thats the main reason I like to keep things simple and run normal, conservative 454 stuff.
We try our best to keep the cost down, racing is not our only hobby.

Entry cost vs earnings is another good topic Razz

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M120:
beat up ****box Chevelle running 11's.

I resemble that remark Smile

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Oh, and the answer to the original question - if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I resemble that remark

LOL, I'm looking for something similar now Big Grin

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
don't know don't care!

THIS! ^^^^^^^

All this mental fornication over things that you can't change is tiresome.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1622 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

I like the way you broke things down, makes total sense. I did the same and come in with roughly $18 a run for our door cars running 6.20's-6.40's. Thats the main reason I like to keep things simple and run normal, conservative 454 stuff.
We try our best to keep the cost down, racing is not our only hobby.

Entry cost vs earnings is another good topic Razz[/QUOTE]

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks. As others have said, I don't really care as I obviously don't do this for the money. Back when I worked for Shafiroff years ago they told me the cost-per-run of the Pro-Mod car and I about fell over and that got me thinking about mine and I found it interesting (and a little eye-opening). I always laugh when I see a Top Fuel team stayed after a National Event and tested on Monday - it doesn't sound like a big deal but if you think about it, those guys just dropped like $50k!
I don't have the stomach to calculate my entry fees vs. winnings!

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Last race (Indy) for my son, was $872.50 per run. This did not include all the broken parts,
one piston, one ring set plus all the gaskets and one very defective fuel pump.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
RPROGAS you getting into heads-up territory there. I know when we quite ALky funny we figured 1500 and like said earlier A/Fuel cars is 2500 and betting lot of pro mods at higher.

As fpr bracket deal no it does not matter.I find it interesting to calculate it and see how much it changes and how much of cost is just the way I do things. I can be real loow if runningas one said basic bbc 454 or sbc 350 or 383 and keep things simple. Never been real good at keep simple.just take fun out.If you take fun it its just waste of time and money.IMO

Best part about this weekend at Char;otte it is heads-up alky/A-fue; car and I don't have to pay to play.LOL

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I'm glad this topic picked up steam! It's funny how some people get a little bent over simple conversation topics on a forum.

My opinion is I don't keep track of cost, but don't mind reading about those who do. That's what forums are for, do as you wish & not for me nor others to judge.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2520 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I care, I keep track of it and I try every race to bring in more than it cost. I am not a career Test and Tuner. When I go to a race I want to Win.

Now I do not figure it cost per run, I do not care about that but on a day to day basis I want to bring home more on Race day than it costs to race. That is one of my goals. Nothing wrong with setting winning as your goal and I try.

Tow truck gas, entry fees, alcohol, food, drinks and then how much I win. Now I do not consider cost of building my car or if I do any major changes in the off season but during the year I want to come out on positive side.

Part of my motivation and fun for me is to bring in a little more money than I spend. It is only Gambling I do.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3991 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of muggs
posted Hide Post
Cost per run? In my situation, who really cares. I will show up even to run for a trophy. Money not even a consideration for a hobby. I enjoy competition and a challenge. I also enjoy all the people I have met over time.

My small pump gas 357 gets 3 passes/gallon larger 406 is around 2.5 passes/gallon. I wear out slicks because is hard to lift on burnouts. I have fun running low 7s against anything and at end of day is what counts most.

Posts: 3078 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
quote:
quote:

I resemble that remark

LOL, I'm looking for something similar now Big Grin

I won't sell my ****box but would let you and family race it in exchange for fixing the quarters and some paint.
Just saying.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I try every race to bring in more than it cost. When I go to a race I want to Win. on a day to day basis I want to bring home more on Race day than it costs to race. That is one of my goals.

I want to come out on positive side.

Part of my motivation and fun for me is to bring in a little more money than I spend.

So do we and WINNING is the only goal!

That said, with the season winding down and 3 weekends of racing left for us, we’ve bought home a little more money then we’ve spent this season on fuel, food, entries and racing consumables…oil, plugs, tires, etc. and have come out on the positive side with north of $75,000 of fun and plan to have more fun and bring home a little more money before we close out the 2022 season. Now who of the regulars posting here have had more fun this season? Laughing very hard

quote:
Originally posted by muggs:
Cost per run? In my situation, who really cares.

The replies here have shown…nobody!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post