DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Inflation cost per run
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inflation cost per run
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Yea I know it is racing and cost is not issue.BS

Now I know most here rarely figure cost per run. Guess I always have because with heads up deal it is just normal.

Wondering how mkuch cost per run has increased with the inflatiuon we now live in. Everything is up 25% and more,somethings like fuel up 100% plus. Figure some guys are running less which may or may not increase cost per due to less runs.

So what it cost you to go dwon track?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4170 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
don't know don't care!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Well, since the only race I've been able to run in the last few years is the Spring Fling in Vegas, my "cost per run", is roughly $2500 divided by 11 runs. Or $227 per run.....
And I loved every minute lol...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4447 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
no sheets given just something to bytch about

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 67TSCHEVY2:
no sheets given just something to bytch about

I think you may have misunderstood my "loved every minute"

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4447 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Don't know, don't want to know, don't care

Posts: 2404 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It's immaterial/impractical for bracket racing.

I can make a pass for 1.25 gallons of alky. Do the math.
How do you factor everything else in?
Unless you are relying on a sponsor to pay for everything, it doesn't matter. If you can afford it, want to compete and can pay for it, it just doesn't matter the cost for pass.

Today I heard on the live feed for the SFG today that a well known national racer is staying local instead of towing to SC. He's still racing for a nice payout.
It's all relative. Playing the odds.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My cost per run last weekend $29 per run...

entries $120
11 gal methanol $44
gas $100
food/drinks $50
Slicks

11 runs
$314 total

$29 a run

slicks $2 ($500/ 250 runs ish)
oil $1 ($50/50 runs ish)
engine $1.5 ($1500/1000 runs)
trans $1 ($500/500 runs)

So far $5.50 a run in maintenance, gotta love a light 6.50 car with an LS. I can add another few bucks for smaller items like a oil pump, changing the gear ratio but those are more like upgrades. I literally cannot remember the last time I changed the plugs.

Posts: 89 | Location: Inverness, Fl | Registered: November 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
don't know don't care!

Dead on! Who gives a crap i mean really. A million topics later lol

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Imakehp I don't care to know what it cost and along with you enjoy every second of it lol can't put a price on a good time so no sheets given as to $ lol

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Some really refreshing comments here. I can remember hearing many bracket racers say that they only entered big money races because it didn't make "financial sense" to run for small local purses. Whew. Glad to see more folks don't worry about that aspect. I never have. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 67TSCHEVY2:
Imakehp I don't care to know what it cost and along with you enjoy every second of it lol can't put a price on a good time so no sheets given as to $ lol

I agree with you brother....only reason I even had an answer was I had only ONE race I needed to add up lol .... I've got lots of money (oh god did I really just talk like ed????) but no races out here....I need to move or change sports....I'd rather move !!

Dave

F J B

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
This is a hobby, It’s meant to be fun. All entertainment out there is very pricey. Have you been to a football, basketball or baseball game lately. How about taking the family to Disneyland? I don’t care What it cost as long as I still get a bang for my Buck or I would not do it.

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Towing and eating/drinking, entry fees should not be included.

Bogus topic.

Can be twisted any you want for cost for bracket racing. 7.50's RED ¼ mile vs beat up ****box Chevelle running 11's. They don't cost the same.

I doesn't matter what the cost is if I'm in the position to pay it.

If I have the money, time, health and the will to complete, I'll race!

Unfortunately, I'm missing at least two of the above.

That's why I'm staying on the porch to just watch right now.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Interesting topic.
Need to bookmark this post and bring in back in a year or two.
The recession that we clearly are in could very easily be heading for a depression.
If that happens, I'd like to see the answers then.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Man, you guys missed the assignment!!!
Cost per run is what it cost to make a pass down the dragstrip and isn't going to change regardless of whether you are at a local T&T or travelled cross country to the Million.....

7.20 BBC dragster on alcohol - off the top of my head, my approximate cost per run is $33.14

Alcohol - $175.00 per drum, 2 gal per run $6.48
motor oil - $75.00 to change, every 60 runs 1.25
slicks - $800.00 per pair, 100 runs 8.00
springs / lifters $750.00 every 125 runs 6.00
freshen engine - $3500.00, every 400 runs 8.75
freshen trans, $800 every 300 runs 2.66
-------------
Total cost per run: $33.14

Obviously this is just the consistent, known consumables but it would be pretty hard to calculate the other stuff we break or use up. I'd be willing to bet every pro team calculates & monitors this (of course with many more expenses like crew labor, etc involved). I've heard that this figure is upwards of $10,000.00 per run for the top-tier Top Fuel teams. I don't have figures handy to compare how much it has increased recently but I'd bet 20% isn't unreasonable.
Cost per run is kind of like the number of guys your wife slept with before you met her - whether the number concerns you or not, it still exists!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BD104X,

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 625 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
No concern about that either but for the record 0 before, 1 after.

I’ve been racing over 3 decades, during that time the country has been in at least 2 recessions and it had no impact on my racing then and won’t this time either.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
Cost per run is what it cost to make a pass down the dragstrip and isn't going to change regardless of whether you are at a local T&T or travelled cross country to the Million.....

I suppose that technically the travel costs to get to a race do not factor into the cost per run,but I consider it.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
For me I do not consider the cost to build my car into it. Like everyone else I have spent a lot of money on my cars knowing that I may not ever get much back if I sell them.

But I do consider how much it cost to race, entry, tow truck gas, oil, tow truck maintenance, alcohol, food etc for the day and then how much I win.

I have been blessed to win more than cost of racing for last 8 or 9 years. But if I had to figure cost of the car into the deal.......

The problem right now is it is much harder to break even than in the past and I do not care who you are you think about that and it plays into your decision on when and where you race.

Whether you want to admit it or not we are all sort of GAMBLING here to try Win more than it costs us. (Except for career Test and Tuners)
If it costs too much to ante in and pay out is not much not as many people will take that Gamble. Simple fact.

Most of the self made millionaires did not get rich by SPENDING money they got rich by SAVING money. So even the rich people watch their money to a certain extent. Watch your pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves they say.

Reality is it does matter how much it cost to race and hopefully we will still do it anyway.

We are seeing car counts and payouts going down due to car counts and that is not good. You can blame it on what ever you want.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3972 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:

7.20 BBC dragster on alcohol - off the top of my head, my approximate cost per run is $33.14

Alcohol - $175.00 per drum, 2 gal per run $6.48
motor oil - $75.00 to change, every 60 runs 1.25
slicks - $800.00 per pair, 100 runs 8.00
springs / lifters $750.00 every 125 runs 6.00
freshen engine - $3500.00, every 400 runs 8.75
freshen trans, $800 every 300 runs 2.66
-------------
Total cost per run: $33.14

Obviously this is just the consistent, known consumables but it would be pretty hard to calculate the other stuff we break or use up. I'd be willing to bet every pro team calculates & monitors this (of course with many more expenses like crew labor, etc involved). I've heard that this figure is upwards of $10,000.00 per run for the top-tier Top Fuel teams. I don't have figures handy to compare how much it has increased recently but I'd bet 20% isn't unreasonable.
Cost per run is kind of like the number of guys your wife slept with before you met her - whether the number concerns you or not, it still exists!

Exactly. Cost per run is items consumed to make a run. Yes pro teams figure personnel,travel,food,vehicle cost and yes that is differnet ball game.

I know on TA/D I work with we figure about 2000 per pass. On bracket car it would depend on what and how you run. How many runs per weekend.

A big money race may cost less becuase of number of races if you figure travel,lodgine if need and food. Mayb more if you figure just entry and runs made along with car consumption.

Not sure why so many getting defensive. Hell never asked to justify cost or even tell your wife real numbers. Only fool tells wife real numbers." My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my race car parts for what I told her they cost" LOL. Kind of like old friend asked what wife said when I asked to build race car. First who the hell ask. Didn't ask if could buy a truck,a third Harley or new guns why would I ask if I am allowed to build a race car was reply.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4170 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post