DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    NHRA and electric vehicles
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NHRA and electric vehicles
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
How soon do you think NHRA will create specialty classes for them?
I can see the day when EVs will dominate bracket classes.
They are not affected by humidity, temperature or barometric pressure. Density altitude will not be an issue for them.
Theoretically, as long as they don't spin or break, they may as well have their ET permanently painted on their windows.
Could be interesting.

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I hate to get political,but depending on what happens in the 2020 election,the internal combustion engine might be on borrowed time.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SS427IMP:
How soon do you think NHRA will create specialty classes for them?
I can see the day when EVs will dominate bracket classes.
They are not affected by humidity, temperature or barometric pressure. Density altitude will not be an issue for them.
Theoretically, as long as they don't spin or break, they may as well have their ET permanently painted on their windows.
Could be interesting.

I don't know how hard it is for them to maintain the exact same level of charge. Exact being the operative word, if we are talking brackets. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
I hate to get political,but depending on what happens in the 2020 election,the internal combustion engine might be on borrowed time.

I could envision it happening eventually, but not within the next 30 years. Too much infrastructure and too many existing vehicles already in place. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:

You can count on them coming after the "pleasure use" on the internal combustion engine. Racing will be public enemy #1 to start with and boating a close second.

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of The Hawk
posted Hide Post
Actually there was a Tesla SUV running in Street ET last year at Bandimere. Ran very consistent 11.90`s and made the final at the first event. The charged did fade as the night progressed and it was running 12.20`s by the final (7th round).

lane weber

perfecting a better mousetrap

Posts: 158 | Location: Littleton, Colorado | Registered: November 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
There is no way in H E ! ! EV’s should be in the same class as combustion cars... period. Pretty simple...

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Maybe they should have different brackets for methanol and E85 vehicles and don't even think about electronic fuel injection being in the same bracket as a carb vehicle. I think we should line our helmets with tin foil.

Posts: 1458 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of The Hawk
posted Hide Post
Just because you have a fast electric car doesn't mean you`ll be successful. The driver still has to leave on time every week.

lane weber

perfecting a better mousetrap

Posts: 158 | Location: Littleton, Colorado | Registered: November 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Man, you guys are a worked up over something that isn’t even in the works

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
You could sit back and not do or say anything and then when it’s happening you’re like ; how did this happen? JMHO... Yes you still have to hook it, cut a light etc but some don’t realize the electronic capabilities these new vehicles have and who can actually police them.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure all realize the real ability we have to control exactly everything about a run and how fast it happens using even not very current (no pun intended) electric motor technology. This could be a game changer to the point where the run itself is virtually unimportant. We can then commence practice tree racing....since that will all that will be left of the competition of significance. I think this should be nipped before folks invest in this, and then are told that they cannot run brackets with them.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
They're here, they're quick and they WILL be repeatable; maybe not now but in the foreseeable future.
I can see several workarounds for the declining amperage/voltage issue and I think when they get that resolved they will dominate.

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
didn't don garlits test an electric dragster?

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
didn't don garlits test an electric dragster?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RR7QYlRk8Y

Take care. Tom Worthington

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
JMO, the downfall of dragracing came with the introduction of ALL electronics! What is the differance between all the electrical devices on your cars and an EV? To make this short, the bottom line is "You still have to cut a light and WIN the Stripe!"

Posts: 39 | Location: so. ca. | Registered: June 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7065comp:
JMO, the downfall of dragracing came with the introduction of ALL electronics! What is the differance between all the electrical devices on your cars and an EV? To make this short, the bottom line is "You still have to cut a light and WIN the Stripe!"
True, but you don't have to dial and compensate for DA and this is HUGE!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

How do you know that? And what is the cost of one of those electric cars? Why do you think the sky is falling for drag racing?

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hammond:
quote:
quote:

How do you know that? And what is the cost of one of those electric cars? Why do you think the sky is falling for drag racing?

Nope it’s not the sky is falling but they should not race combustion vehicles. Jmo

https://forums.tesla.com/forum...h-altitude-operation

Just one small piece of info Richard.. it’s at your finger tips. Google

Raceless in California!

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:

How consistent do you think box cars are anyhow?

If they could run the number every round, there would be no finish line racing, and nobody would work hard to be the faster car for the better look at the finish line. Yet, most do race the stripe and do bag at least a couple numbers. Confused

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bucky,

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post