DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    EV charging on the road
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EV charging on the road
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I still have not been able to find any accurate information about cost of roadside charging. What does it cost? Simple question.

Dictator Biden said gas prices are not a problem because by 2025 we will be all electric and gas prices will not matter. Let's just assume he is right (First time for everything) but if we were all electric then big Government would be replacing the BILLIONS of dollars of gas tax they get from us on road taxes. There is no free rides and if Government can slip you the weenie for more money they will. Can the electric grid handle it?

The problem with an electric vehicle is still the same.

1. Very short Range.

2. Very few places to charge them.

3. When you do charge it takes way too long meaning we will be stuck on the road for hours to charge instead of minutes to fill gas tank. That could mean very long lines and waiting hours and hours to get a charge with no place to go. One gas station pump can probably fill 30 gas tanks an hour. One charging station could probably fill 4 a DAY?

4. It is questionable if they even save any money at all?

5. We do not know if the electric grid can support it.

If all of those issues were resolved then most people would change to electric. I think we are not nearly there. There are some good things about electric, no Carbon monoxide, very quiet but the drawbacks are too big and too many for now.

One other thing nobody talks about is if our Government would not be so involved in car manufacturing they could build cars much more efficient. There are some 2004 diesel trucks that get 29 MPG and same model new gets 19? Because it has to meet all Government regulations for EPA. If they could make all cars gas and diesel 35% more mileage that would help in so many ways and I think they could probably do it.

Point is the electric cars are far from being a good option for most of America and even Gas and Diesel powered vehicles could be better if we did not have Government overreach.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3961 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I still have not been able to find any accurate information about cost of roadside charging. What does it cost? Simple question.

Dictator Biden said gas prices are not a problem because by 2025 we will be all electric and gas prices will not matter. Let's just assume he is right (First time for everything) but if we were all electric then big Government would be replacing the BILLIONS of dollars of gas tax they get from us on road taxes. There is no free rides and if Government can slip you the weenie for more money they will. Can the electric grid handle it?

The problem with an electric vehicle is still the same.

1. Very short Range.

310 miles on a charge is almost exactly what I can go on a full tank of gas in any of our cars.

2. Very few places to charge them.

I have more charging stations between work and home then I do gas stations, and there are hundreds of thousands of charging stations available already.

3. When you do charge it takes way too long meaning we will be stuck on the road for hours to charge instead of minutes to fill gas tank. That could mean very long lines and waiting hours and hours to get a charge with no place to go. One gas station pump can probably fill 30 gas tanks an hour. One charging station could probably fill 4 a DAY?

Super chargers take 30-40 minutes from empty charge, longer then pumping gas, but no where near the 8+ hours people want to believe. And who has the ability or time to fill up with gas every day when they get home? No one. Plugging in will take seconds and it'll be charged 100% every day.

4. It is questionable if they even save any money at all?

I spend $550 a month in gas, it'll cost at most $10 a month in electricity. Yes I will have a small car payment beyond that, buy I won't be spending anything getting lifters replaced in my tahoe, oil changes, etc. And I get a new car, which I was already shopping for and the other cars on the same level as tesla are equivalently priced but would also cost $300-400 another in gas.

5. We do not know if the electric grid can support it.

Mine won't draw off the grid, I already over produce, so even if I charge on the road, my power production is adding to the grid.

If all of those issues were resolved then most people would change to electric. I think we are not nearly there. There are some good things about electric, no Carbon monoxide, very quiet but the drawbacks are too big and too many for now.

One other thing nobody talks about is if our Government would not be so involved in car manufacturing they could build cars much more efficient. There are some 2004 diesel trucks that get 29 MPG and same model new gets 19? Because it has to meet all Government regulations for EPA. If they could make all cars gas and diesel 35% more mileage that would help in so many ways and I think they could probably do it.

Point is the electric cars are far from being a good option for most of America and even Gas and Diesel powered vehicles could be better if we did not have Government overreach.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
with a 308 mile range and a 40 mile round trip commute, I don't see ever really needing to charge anywhere else and it'll save me 20 minutes round trip to the nearest gas station since there are no gas stations on my commute.

My daily driver 2009 Toyota Tacoma with 4cyl/5-speed manual gets 20mpg on my daily commute. If my commute were 40 miles round trip, that's 200 miles per week, or 10 gallons per week.

At $5/gallon, I would be spending $50 per week on your commute.

Let's say my Tacoma is worth $10,000 as it sits. (It would likely bring more than that on today's market. It's a 4WD).

Assuming electricity is FREE, if I take the $50,000 cost of trading my $10k Tacoma on a $60k Tesla and divide that by the $50 per week I save by driving the Tesla (and again, this assumes electricity is FREE) I get;

(50,000/50) = 1,000.

It would take me 1,000 weeks (20 years!!!) to break even. And that assumes the Tesla can be insured and maintained as cheaply as a Toyota, a laughable assumption.

I think we have a misunderstanding of basic math in this country. But then we have a President and a VP who can't string 10 words into a coherent sentence without a teleprompter - either of them.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Geez, Will, think of all the money you’d save if you just bought a 1995 Cavalier with a 4 banger, 5 speed, and manual windows!

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Huh Oh... simple logic has touched a soft spot.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
Saw a video today of a service station owner covering up Tesla charging stations at his business because he said he hasn't received payment for them in months..... Tesla pays places to have charging stations at their place ?

Posts: 621 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
Geez, Will, think of all the money you’d save if you just bought a 1995 Cavalier with a 4 banger, 5 speed, and manual windows!

How about a Chevette or maybe a nice Beetle....

Lets all go protest anyone with an EV and block them from driving with signs that say NO F'EN ELECTRIC CARS !! EV's WILL DESTROY the EARTH

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Carts in front of the horse on this one..
Hydrocarbon is not done by any means. A shame this administration cannot see the forest for the trees. But then again they’ve missed the boat many times.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4461 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
My Tacoma looks great, runs like a watch, has a radio, a heater, and ice cold A/C. What else do you need in a daily driver? I have a new Suburban when I want comfort.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My 2007 GMC Duramax has
New wheels, tires, bed rail covers, big flares to hide the rust, brakes, shocks...runs like it's new and drives like it as well

Owes me nothing.......yea it is no bargain to fuel it but I don't drive it much other than a short commute to work...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I pulled this data from the Tesla site. This shows the charging rates for home use. If the car has a range of 300 miles and you use 240 miles. The charge time will be around 6 hours using the 60 amp service here.
Here is the link as the as the data won't post correctly.
https://www.tesla.com/support/...ctor#charging-speeds

Posts: 293 | Location: New Milford, CT USA | Registered: December 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
...this discussion reminds me of the discussion about home solar panels on here a few months back...

"In 1979, President Jimmy Carter had solar panels installed on the White House during his term as president. However, in 1981, President Ronald Reagan ordered the White House solar panels to be removed. In 2010, President Barack Obama requested that solar panels and a solar water heater be installed on the White House."

So firstly I guess it's relevant to identify the politics behind solar (and EV). There are some on here that have made solar work for them, likewise EV. That's great and shows ability to maximize a given situation (to include govt. subsidies).

"Sharp begins to successfully mass-produce solar cells in 1963, which brings solar practicality down from space shuttles and satellites to the general public. The effects of the 1973 oil crisis..."

Again, the '73 oil crisis was a politically manufactured phenomenon. So, since 1963 it's been 59 years for consumer available solar panels. I have to ask why is it soooo rare today. I can drive through any average neighborhood and I'll count anywhere from zero to never more than one hand worth of solar panels. If it was a viable answer it would be prevalent, by now, throughout most of the sunshine nation... but the reality is, it is not. The only large scale units are a product of government spending (my VA) or utilities (sudo-government operations).

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2322 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
My daily driver 2009 Toyota Tacoma with 4cyl/5-speed manual gets 20mpg on my daily commute. If my commute were 40 miles round trip, that's 200 miles per week, or 10 gallons per week.

It would take me 1,000 weeks (20 years!!!) to break even. And that assumes the Tesla can be insured and maintained as cheaply as a Toyota, a laughable assumption.

My 1500 pickup and open trailer (which are both paid off) gets infinitely better gas mileage than a toterhome and stacker, which I would never break even on. I mean, since we're doing completely absurd comparisons...

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5727 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
The comparison was only absurd for those who missed the point completely - like YOU, for example.

Mike

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
My 2011 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax gets 11 mpg around town. I don't use a tank a month. I can buy a sh3t ton of diesel for the difference in cost for a new truck or EV.

Posts: 4814 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
The comparison was only absurd for those who missed the point completely - like YOU, for example.

Maybe you missed the point. By your logic, no company that sells cars for more than $60k should be in business because on paper they cant compete with the mighty Toyota Tacoma! You're kind of forgetting a few things though:
1) Not everyone is you.
2) Not everyone is happy with an old Toyota Tacoma
3) Not every EV is a $60k Tesla - some cost more, some cost less.
5) Not everyone has the same concerns as you when car shopping.

Of course IC cars aren't going anywhere anytime soon, but to say that the whole EV industry is doomed because they don't make sense for you is a little naïve, don't you think? Again, I don't like EV's (and I really don't care if you do) but something like 20% of people shopping for a car would consider choosing an electric one - out of the millions of cars sold in this country, that number is nothing to sneeze at and likely to grow. Electric cars have plenty of drawbacks... So do sports cars, Pickup trucks & SUV's, but they all seem to sell just fine in their respective market.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 625 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
For the benefit of all those who missed the point - here's the point - yes, it's a free country, yes there are valid reasons for buying a Tesla (you like the looks, it's luxurious, chicks will dig you, you want to save the polar bears, mommy won't hear you pulling up into the driveway after midnight, whatever) - but saving money is NOT one of those valid reasons. Fuel cost is a relatively small part of the overall cost of owning and operating an automobile.

Mike

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Tacoma looks great, runs like a watch, has a radio, a heater, and ice cold A/C. What else do you need in a daily driver? I have a new Suburban when I want comfort.

You kind of touching on the issue here. WHEN THEY BUILD A BETTER, MORE EFFICIENT, LOWER COST ELECTRIC CAR MOST ALL OF US WILL SWITCH. Not until that happens and that is a long ways off if ever.

Our general economy is based on fact we buy what we feel fill our needs and our budget best. Build a better mousetrap and we will buy it.

As I have said before there are other unresolved issues before it really becomes mainstream. 1. Needs longer range. 2. Needs faster charging. 3. Needs more availability to that charging. 4. They really need to save us money and be cost effective. These things may happen in distant future and I think it is good to try to reach that goal. But it aint here yet.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3961 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
For the benefit of all those who missed the point - here's the point - yes, it's a free country, yes there are valid reasons for buying a Tesla (you like the looks, it's luxurious, chicks will dig you, you want to save the polar bears, mommy won't hear you pulling up into the driveway after midnight, whatever) - but saving money is NOT one of those valid reasons. Fuel cost is a relatively small part of the overall cost of owning and operating an automobile.

And I think you missed the point also. I'm not interested in driving an 18 year old car with 280,000 miles, or a 15 year old truck with 180,000 miles like I have now. I was already in the market for a new car. I don't need an suv to pull anything anymore and it is useless other then commuting because I have a toter and stacker, the Tahoe won't even move the trailer in the yard. So it's capability is useless to me.

I was looking at a few different cars, genesis g70 used with under 20k miles is $50k+, Audi s5 sportback used, under 20k miles is $60k+. Neither of those get over 25 mpg. So gas would be easily $300/month. And both are used. New they are $65k and $80k or more because of dealer mark up, and the lead times are basically indefinite. The Tesla on the other hand has zero dealer mark up, so a brand new one is the same or less then used comparable cars, and they use no gas. So in reality they are significantly cheaper then anything comparable even ones that are used. And when you compare to what I pay now in gas, it makes it very easy to fit in my current budget considering the payment will be barely even more then I pay for gas..

If you're happy with your car and don't have any intentions of buying anything any time soon, then no it doesn't make sense. For me, I've been looking for something that I like for over a year, so this isn't even based on current gas prices, but that sure did help the decision.

For those that are content with whatever they're driving, great!

Me, I wanted one because I like the look, they're fast as he|| and the interiors are super nice with incredible sound system.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:

You kind of touching on the issue here. WHEN THEY BUILD A BETTER, MORE EFFICIENT, LOWER COST ELECTRIC CAR MOST ALL OF US WILL SWITCH. Not until that happens and that is a long ways off if ever.

Our general economy is based on fact we buy what we feel fill our needs and our budget best. Build a better mousetrap and we will buy it.

As I have said before there are other unresolved issues before it really becomes mainstream. 1. Needs longer range. 2. Needs faster charging. 3. Needs more availability to that charging. 4. They really need to save us money and be cost effective. These things may happen in distant future and I think it is good to try to reach that goal. But it aint here yet.
honest question, how far must it go to be considered acceptable range? The long range 3 will go 350+ miles on a charge, which to me is way more then I would need for just about anything, that's like 6 straight hours of driving, after that long I'm ready for a break anyway..

My tahoe with a 5.3 goes about 320 miles on a tank

My son's gmc jimmy goes 280 miles on a tank on a good day.

My wife's 2020 traverse goes about 380 miles on a tank last I paid attention.

My point being, the tesla long range 3 will go more miles then a lot of cars, and maybe not quite as far as others. And I don't know anyone that goes 300+ miles every day as a commute.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link