This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/75460652/m/8127068896

July 05, 2022, 07:51 PM
SCDIV1
EV charging on the road
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:
An EV right now would be perfect for me....short commute, paying 5-6 bucks a gallon for diesel. If my pickup was on it's last legs I'd consider one....

Short term perimeters is no way to solve a long term issue. Who is dictating gas/diesel prices? That's right, the people that are funneling YOU into an EV. Society never demanded EV's, a political agenda has brought them about. When they get you into an EV and the time is right, the rules will change again. Anybody that believes the US electrical grid can support a mass exodus to EV's is delusional. It's currently 100* in OKC with a 105* heat index. My power has had two hick ups today already. I'll repeat, anyone looking at the short term parameters is being manipulated. I remember when a little suck-azz sales manager I had bought an Olds Toronado with GM's gas converted diesel, to align with his boss's like purchase. His bargain of buying cheap diesel didn't last as long as his car payments.

Well than I better not get one
July 05, 2022, 08:44 PM
Michael Beard
Research on the interwebs is so super hard, I mean, unless you get your information from Facebook memes... LOL

https://evadept.com/calc/tesla...ging-cost-calculator

I have no reason to have a Tesla, regardless of the pricing or "sales pitch". Even if I did, it has absolutely zero bearing on basic facts.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

July 05, 2022, 08:56 PM
BP758
Apart from the autopilot chips and algorithms, almost all other aspects of a Tesla car are Made In China

USA held captive for parts! That’s a bad deal!

Raceless in California!
July 05, 2022, 09:25 PM
Goob
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Beard:
Research on the interwebs is so super hard, I mean, unless you get your information from Facebook memes... LOL

I have no reason to have a Tesla, regardless of the pricing or "sales pitch". Even if I did, it has absolutely zero bearing on basic facts.

You posted that dream calculation table before, it's pure bull**** pipe dream compared to real world cost.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375
July 05, 2022, 09:42 PM
Goob
quote:
quote:
Thats because tesla parts aren't made in China like your truck.

TOUCHÉ Goob, balls in your court! POPCORN, get yer popcorn here!

Yeah, that's why GM has 75,000 trucks sitting in lots, that will probably get crushed. I did major soul searching to even gag and order anything from GM, but it's still the best option for me.
Tesla got a Crew Cab Dually that ain't made in China? Get your popcorn. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Meanwhile, I'll daily drive my $16,000 in 2006 Pontiac with 240k miles that gets 25mpg for the 16k miles per year, and feed my '87 Dually with 53k miles all the gas it wants, for the piddly amount of money I have in it. I have room for LOTS of gasoline $$$$ in the cost of an EV.
Electric cars were a thing about 115 years ago too, until they died, for a reason. The COST wasn't worth it.
IF it were cost effective, we'd have had electric cars years ago. The environmental impact of battery production and disposal isn't being revealed, because it ALL HAPPENS IN CHINA, so our green weenies don't have to see it.

Anyway, I WILL WAIT until someone can show me a receipt for a charging session on the roadside, or prove that they actually had a $1000 per month electric bill for their home that is "free" now,(after $10k of our money and $16k of his own). Roll Eyes

Dave Cook
N375
July 05, 2022, 10:07 PM
Canted Valve
quote:
Well than I better not get one

To each his own. If you have the budget to take advantage of short term advantages as they come along, and can trade/change as the wind changes, then it's a very smart approach.

Illegitimi non carborundum
July 05, 2022, 10:25 PM
Will Harrison
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:
quote:
Thats because tesla parts aren't made in China like your truck.

TOUCHÉ Goob, balls in your court! POPCORN, get yer popcorn here!

Yeah, that's why GM has 75,000 trucks sitting in lots, that will probably get crushed. I did major soul searching to even gag and order anything from GM, but it's still the best option for me.
Tesla got a Crew Cab Dually that ain't made in China? Get your popcorn. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Meanwhile, I'll daily drive my $16,000 in 2006 Pontiac with 240k miles that gets 25mpg for the 16k miles per year, and feed my '87 Dually with 53k miles all the gas it wants, for the piddly amount of money I have in it. I have room for LOTS of gasoline $$$$ in the cost of an EV.
Electric cars were a thing about 115 years ago too, until they died, for a reason. The COST wasn't worth it.
IF it were cost effective, we'd have had electric cars years ago. The environmental impact of battery production and disposal isn't being revealed, because it ALL HAPPENS IN CHINA, so our green weenies don't have to see it.

Anyway, I WILL WAIT until someone can show me a receipt for a charging session on the roadside, or prove that they actually had a $1000 per month electric bill for their home that is "free" now,(after $10k of our money and $16k of his own). Roll Eyes
funny you say that, because that is exactly what my Pg&e (electric bill) was prior to solar, summer time it was $99X dollars, and never below $650. Big property with a large pool, hot tub, sauna, well pump, and ac when it's 110 outside and a shop. So up went a 20,000watt system. Our true up Bill was negative after 1 year.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link
July 05, 2022, 10:30 PM
Will Harrison
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
Apart from the autopilot chips and algorithms, almost all other aspects of a Tesla car are Made In China

Thats not true, we're building a high end street muscle car using tesla parts with tesla help and those parts, motors, batteries, battery frames, subframes, body structures, body panels and electronics are made in the USA

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link
July 05, 2022, 10:32 PM
Will Harrison
Goob, I'll gladly show you recipts from a charging station in a few weeks. I'll have mine in hand by thr 19th supposedly. It was ordered mud June by the way.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link
July 05, 2022, 10:35 PM
BP758
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
quote:

Thats not true, we're building a high end street muscle car using tesla parts with tesla help and those parts, motors, batteries, battery frames, subframes, body structures, body panels and electronics are made in the USA

Taken off the web… Would hope so?? Going to race this??
You racing the Nats??

Raceless in California!
July 05, 2022, 10:49 PM
Will Harrison
quote:
quote:
quote:

Taken off the web… Would hope so?? Going to race this??
You racing the Nats??
I will not race mine in anything but an EV only class, because they are illegal in anything else.

I won't be racing the national, but will be there to help in TD and TS

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link
July 06, 2022, 06:24 AM
Michael Beard
quote:
quote:

You posted that dream calculation table before, it's pure bull**** pipe dream compared to real world cost.

No, I have not. So once again, you are completely fabricating something.

You're normally a very reasonable, rational person. I'm not certain why this particular topic has you completely off the rails.

I'm surprised that you haven't reposted the Facebook meme about a Chevy Volt taking "10 hours to charge and costing $1.16/kWh."

__

July 06, 2022, 07:11 AM
SlyFox
If/when the majority of vehicles on the road are EV's, charging them will NOT be cheap or free.

Write that down, and remember where you heard it.

Mike
July 06, 2022, 07:13 AM
Goob
quote:
quote:
quote:

No, I have not. So once again, you are completely fabricating something.

You're normally a very reasonable, rational person. I'm not certain why this particular topic has you completely off the rails.

I'm surprised that you haven't reposted the Facebook meme about a Chevy Volt taking "10 hours to charge and costing $1.16/kWh."

Sorry, you're correct, it is a different "calculator" than the other one you posted, so having actually looked at it now, WOW, what a nightmare!!!!!

But still no firm actual cost is stated, just a bunch of mumbo jumbo about superchargers, trip planning, not for commuter use, and "free" charging, (at Tesla locations?)

I'm off the rails because there is so much misleading BS on the topic of a basically stupid idea.
Gasoline / Diesel power will ALWAYS be the most efficient and cost effective (and now clean) way to power our lives.

Dave Cook
N375
July 06, 2022, 07:17 AM
SlyFox
US power grid is already on the verge of collapse. Once the bulk of the however many millions of cars currently on the road are EV's, who do we think is going to pay for the massive upgrade of the grid?

HINT: It won't be Tesla, Ford, GM, nor any other auto maker.

Mike
July 06, 2022, 07:18 AM
SlyFox
quote:
with a 308 mile range and a 40 mile round trip commute, I don't see ever really needing to charge anywhere else

As long as your ambition in life is to go nowhere but work, that will work out great! And that is exactly what the ruling class wants you to do - go nowhere but work and back.

Mike
July 06, 2022, 07:26 AM
Goob
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
quote:
with a 308 mile range and a 40 mile round trip commute, I don't see ever really needing to charge anywhere else

As long as your ambition in life is to go nowhere but work, that will work out great! And that is exactly what the ruling class wants you to do - go nowhere but work and back.

BOOM!!!!!

I was still struggling with a 40 mile commute translating into "thousands" per month in fuel, but whatever, apparently he's a left coaster.
PG&E is paying for the wildfires....

Dave Cook
N375
July 06, 2022, 07:29 AM
Mike Rietow
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
quote:

Most will never believe that, until it's too late.
July 06, 2022, 07:39 AM
Michael Beard
quote:
so having actually looked at it now

Well, at least you've admitted that you made your initial kneejerk reply without having even READ the information...

quote:
mumbo jumbo

LMAO! Translation: "I hate it and don't want to understand it so I'm going to pretend that it's complicated so that I can complain about it."

quote:
there is so much misleading BS on the topic

...which you have posted, yes.

quote:
Gasoline / Diesel power will ALWAYS be the most efficient and cost effective (and now clean) way to power our lives.

Absolutely. At no point have I ever argued otherwise.

__

July 06, 2022, 07:46 AM
BD104X
[/QUOTE]

LOL, yeah, the interwebs are a great source of real world, unbiased information. Laughing Hard

I ask because of the video posted by that young lady, who was furious about the reality versus the BS she had been fed.
I think she was saying it was $45 or $50 bucks every 200 miles or so, and the hours of travel time wasted finding a charge, and waiting for the charge..... Oh yeah, the mileage claimed would only happen if you don't play the radio or turn on a light, or use the A/C.[/QUOTE]

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My nephew just bought a Tesla - he took it on a trip from NJ to D.C. (about 200 miles each way), he still had plenty of charge left (Air conditioner & radio on) and the hotel had a charging station. He is leaving from NJ to Florida next week and calculates that the trip will cost him about $38 (there are apps you use to plan that help you find free & paid charging stations along your route and calculate how much you need to make it to the next one) although he will have to charge for about 40 minutes at 2 of them. That sounds like a long time but I'll bet a normal fuel stop on a road trip with a pee break and wandering through the convenience store to stretch your legs is 15-20 minutes anyway. I'll report back and let you know if it works out that way. My friend & next door neighbor just bought a Polestar from the dealership I work at and he loves it - his commute is about 75 miles each way, he spends zero on gas, has plenty of charge left when he gets home & plugs it into his garage each night. Both cars come with a charger that will charge it overnight but you do need to add a 220v line, they will work off of 120v as well but won't charge to full capacity overnight. Both he and my nephew have noticed a slight increase in electricity usage but they definitely notice not having to pay for gas! I have no desire to get an electric car myself, but I brought the Polestar home for my neighbor to test drive and I will say I have a new respect and appreciation for them. In addition to my nephew & neighbor being very happy, we sell plenty of Polestars & Porsche Taycans and a vast majority of the people who buy them love them. Sure, you may have to plan a little for charging, but that is continually improving as stations are added all over. There was a time when they said cars would NEVER replace horses because where would you get gas? Do EV's save or hurt the environment? F*** if I know, but if all of these 'videos' you have been watching about how bad electric cars suck are on Facebook, YouTube or any other social sites then you are being fed content based on an algorithm and your "research" is biased whether you think so or not - watch videos on Trump, you'll get more anti-Biden videos. Watch videos on cosmetics, you'll get make-up videos. Watch videos on electric cars burning & how harmful lithium mining is, you will get more anti-electric car videos. Like I said, I don't want an electric car and I personally hope they DON'T catch on but I am around them every day as I run the parts department in a car dealership - this discussion reminds me of the discussion about home solar panels on here a few months back - all of the people who actually HAD solar panels were talking about how happy they were with them, and all of the people discussing why they were impractical or a waste of money were people who DIDN'T have solar panels, had no first hand knowledge but based it on their 'research'.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com