DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    NOT POLITICAL -- 3.28 MILLION Unemployed
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NOT POLITICAL -- 3.28 MILLION Unemployed
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted
This is related to the "Are you Working this week?" thread.

Pretty big number.
Largest Ever.

Eek

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 954 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
if I was a kid in school right now I would definitely be choosing a career on the "essential" list and I would also start a savings fund to get me through any future pandemics

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pentastarrail:
This is related to the "Are you Working this week?" thread.

Pretty big number.
Largest Ever.

Eek

Some may view this or the thread that was taken down as spreading fear or political.

Just for the record I don't see it that way brother. I see it as you're trying to warn people of a coming storm. And I salute you. Patriotism is loyalty to the country, meaning its people.

What you're doing is patriotic. Caring (loyalty) to warn other Americans.

You're not just looking out for self.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Decisions cannot be made in a vacuum. We can't ignore that drastic decisions made on one front, without affecting peoples lives and livelihood in other areas. This stuff does not work independently.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6354 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Decisions cannot be made in a vacuum. We can't ignore that drastic decisions made on one front, without affecting peoples lives and livelihood in other areas. This stuff does not work independently.

There's always danger when you try something new or True.

When you stand on your own.

When you follow your heart.

conflict

https://youtu.be/5nBReYGm8WI

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Not to be Political,but the House has yet to sign off on the bill that the media is saying a "deal" has been reached.Until there is a signature by Trump,nothing has really happened yet to address the 3.28 million unemployed.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
Not to be Political,but the House has yet to sign off on the bill that the media is saying a "deal" has been reached.Until there is a signature by Trump,nothing has really happened yet to address the 3.28 million unemployed.

Sadly, they will still be unemployed.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6354 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
That's what happens when you tell people they can’t open their businesses...

California Gov. Gavin Newsom said Wednesday afternoon that 1 million people have already filed claims in his state since March 13. California was the first state to order residents to shelter in place.

"It will be closely watched as a measure of how violent the shutdowns have been to the labor market," said Jon Hill, fixed income strategist at BMO. "You have 15.8 million people working in leisure and hospitality, and you just shut down the industry."

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/...in-the-millions.html

Posts: 2961 | Location: Boon Docks, FL | Registered: March 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Don't forget about the ones that HAVE NOT filed yet due to massive server overload conditions.
Just wait!!!

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Tough situation for sure. Seems some of them would be hitting Amazon, Grocery stores, etc since they are all hiring. But on the other hand if they pass this stimulus a lot of them will make more on unemployment.

Posts: 6197 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
There is a big glich in the new unemployment rules...the dems insisted that $600 per week be the number...the glich is that the $600 per week is added on top of whatever the state pays already...this means, for example, in Mass. tehy already pay $843 per week...this puts your unemployment check at $1443 per week...that is right at $75,000 per year annualized or 36 bucks an hour...

Now if you are waiting tables for 15 bucks an hour, and get layed off, you would have absolutely no incentive to go back to work if the restaurant opened back up...who would...therein lies the glich...the dems say the states are not able to set it up so no one would get more than they made while working so just give $600 a week to everyone...

Some pubs tried to add an amendment to at least make the states try to do what is right but it got shot down...

Posts: 1272 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Yep,
These guys at their best.

I would bet that it was not a "glitch".
Whoever put that in knew EXACTLY what they were doing, that's why it is still in the bill.
Free votes at the expense of you and I.

These unemployment numbers will grow exponentially.
ALREADY MILLIONS MORE unemployed in the USA than affected with the virus.
It's only the first real week, wait until the REAL numbers catch up in a month or so.
Eek

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 954 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of regal
posted Hide Post
Just to add to the unemployment deal, the way I understand it is that the 600 is limited to 4 months. Not like someone is gonna get to lay around the next 2 years making state+600. Were all going to be feeling the aftermath of this for many years.

Chris Walters

Posts: 120 | Location: New Whiteland,Indiana | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
That was the argument. Your UI filing plus the 600 a week additional for 4 months. That alone is
the 600 deal comes in at $9600. That is a bunch.
Plus the extension of benefit weeks.
There will those that abuse it to the extreme.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
That was the argument. Your UI filing plus the 600 a week additional for 4 months. That alone is
the 600 deal comes in at $9600. That is a bunch.
Plus the extension of benefit weeks.
There will those that abuse it to the extreme.

You will always have abuses by the *******s.
Had a guy at work make a big deal about suddenly not feeling well this morning. He has history. Anyhow, he probably won't be test worthy, and we need to home quarantine him for 14 days and he can't do his job from home. And the company has committed to paying people who are sick to stay home. Two week vacation if he isn't really sick. And no way to prove anything without a test verification one way or the other. Even if he isn't putting on a show, and doesn't feel well, and it is a cold or something, he's off for two weeks. What can you do?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear, I have no problem with paying unemployment to those who lost their jobs through no fault of their own...my issue is, even for 4 months, nobody should be able to double, triple or even quadruple their paycheck by sitting at home...add to that the $1200 check coming their way...

Posts: 1272 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mad Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Tough situation for sure. Seems some of them would be hitting Amazon, Grocery stores, etc since they are all hiring. But on the other hand if they pass this stimulus a lot of them will make more on unemployment.

How are "these people" going to be making more while collecting UI benefits?

Correct me if I'm wrong or missing something here but, traditionally under/un-employment insurance benefit payments have always been calculated based on a percentage of an average of the employee's wage prior to the filling, and that amount could not exceed a predetermined maximum dollar amount. Example: 70% of average gross up to, and not to exceed a predetermined dollar amount.

Those of us in my trade always took it in the arse when lay-off time would occur. Go from earning $1650/40 hours a week to un-enjoyment maximum benefits of $370/per week (and that was before taxes), didn't matter how much you made, there was a predetermined maximum dollar amount...

Dan

Dan

DOES YOUR IDEOLOGY ALLOW YOU TO EQUITABLY APPLY STANDARDS OF ACCOUNTABILITY OR DOES IT PROMOTE THE PRACTICE OF HYPOCRISY?

Posts: 226 | Location: ... --- ... | Registered: November 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Exactly. but this is above and beyond your
weekly paid UI benefits with this stimulus. This is due to the fact that they ARE on UI benefits.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog:

How are "these people" going to be making more while collecting UI benefits?

Dan

For some unemployed workers could get more than 100% of their paycheck under the coronavirus bill

Here’s an example using a Pennsylvania worker making $30,000 a year.

This worker makes about $577 weekly, before tax, while working. The worker would recoup about half that paycheck in state unemployment benefits — about $288 a week, Moran said. The new legislation would add $600 a week.

This worker’s $888 weekly unemployment check would exceed their $577 paycheck over four months.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/2...-their-paycheck.html

Posts: 2961 | Location: Boon Docks, FL | Registered: March 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post