DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    GoPro Style cameras/mounts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GoPro Style cameras/mounts
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
This next season, we would like to use a small camera for watching some things on the car, and for general entertainment. We have an older go pro with some plastic mounts. But I'm not sure that the battery is any good and I would love something smaller, and with the required metal mounts. Would love the flexibility to mount it from different things to look at whatever. This is on a dragster. What can you guys recommend?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The new rule to be legal is ridiculous.
To my knowledge, there is not much available to make the new Hero 5 "legal"

I know for a fact, some are still mounting on the cage at NHRA Div races.

I had my empty mount on our dragster at the Fallnationals, and the NHRA official at the ready stripe, smiled and asked "where is the camera". so, not sure about the new rule.

check your PM

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
How are you mounting it to the cage?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Mike Bjorum makes a really nice mount. I actually ran my camera at the Dallas race last year and no one said a word. If they’re enforcing the new rule I couldn’t tell it. No one told me to remove it.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My wife bought me a Hero 8 for Christmas and I am beside myself with all the options it has. Does anyone know of a mount to use with this version? Mike, will your mount work with it? What exactly are the rules when it comes to a Go Pro in box class? I would like to film the driver and of course some finish line racing videos would be cool.

Posts: 97 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Here’s what we have been using for an all metal mounted setup:

1. GoPro Hero 5 Session

2. Aluminum Frame for the camera

3. Tripod adapter, this adapts the GoPro to 1/4”-20 thread

4. A properly sized roll bar clamp tapped for 1/4-20”

5. Win a race and share the video

To finish it, cut off a short piece of 1/4-20 rod to connect the tripod adapter to the roll bar clamp and use a jam nut on each end to secure it.

Having the 1/4-20 mount opens up lots of possibilities, I have mounts for spindle and on the engine. There are also lots of similar looking products on eBay and Amazon, it pays to shop around. The tripod bases used to be 3 or $4 but have now gone up.

Posts: 715 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post