DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Loose Track Conditions and Prep
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loose Track Conditions and Prep
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I think a percentage may be car prep as well...ive seen fast guys get down all day and others who are slower cant get down

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of regal
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
The perfect prep tracks are helping cause this in my opinion.

Chris Walters

Posts: 120 | Location: New Whiteland,Indiana | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
I think a percentage may be car prep as well...ive seen fast guys get down all day and others who are slower cant get down

Agreed, many don't have a clue

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion but it's all about $ but more importantly science. No different than people not being able to tune their cars track operators don't know how to "tune" their tracks. Most seem to know it all even when it's pretty obvious they don't. No 2 track surfaces are the same and the place where the track is located makes a big difference. For some reason we have a lot of tracks that have water problems.
What's really interesting when only 1 lane goes away. This seems to happen at a couple of local tracks. Nothing like a race where it's a coin toss for lane choice that can put you out.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I was at Darlington a couple of weeks ago for their first race on a new concrete track surface. It was cold yet the traction was the best I have ever seen. Wil it last, we will see. Here in central NC we have Red Springs an unsanctioned track that may not even own a broom yet i have never heard anyone complain about the traction. so what is the answer? I remember a racer from MD with a 6.00 car saying it was the worst track conditions he had ever seen yet on the same night cars were running 3.80s straight down the track. Try setting your car up to work--might help

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by regal:
^^^^^^^^
The perfect prep tracks are helping cause this in my opinion.

Perfect is subjective. Consistent is far more desirable. You can adjust for a track that perhaps has a less than sticky starting line. But when the condition of the track changes from run to run or week to week, that is a different story.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ You ever at 66 when the water started seeping up @ the 800?. Once the sun goes down with the temp and the dew rises, your on your own. Seen to many wrecks Doesn't matter how prepped it is period

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
several tracks across the country have that issue but who's fault are those wrecks, track management or the racers that know yet continue to support their program and make the conscious decision to continue to race on that track after sunset?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
^^^^^ You ever at 66 when the water started seeping up @ the 800?. Once the sun goes down with the temp and the dew rises, your on your own. Seen to many wrecks Doesn't matter how prepped it is period

Lol i remember those crybabies back in the day. Every sat night pull up for the semis and thered be 4 whiners givin some excuse they got their ass kicked cuz the track was "too dangerous" lmao. Then theyd wanna split a purse that paid less than a proper gamblers race what a joke that place was...

Ya'll see the movie "the incredibles"? Funny ass cartoon movie. Well at some point theres a line in the movie that says "if everybody is exceptional, nobody is". Or somethin like that... Well anybody can make a shyt car run good if the track never changes just outta dumb luck. Next we can build dragstrips in astrodomes so the weather never changes and the next generation wont know what a headwind is.

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boucher Jr:
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:

Lol i remember those crybabies back in the day. Every sat night pull up for the semis and thered be 4 whiners givin some excuse they got their ass kicked cuz the track was "too dangerous" lmao. Then theyd wanna split a purse that paid less than a proper gamblers race what a joke that place was...

Ya'll see the movie "the incredibles"? Funny ass cartoon movie. Well at some point theres a line in the movie that says "if everybody is exceptional, nobody is". Or somethin like that... Well anybody can make a shyt car run good if the track never changes just outta dumb luck. Next we can build dragstrips in astrodomes so the weather never changes and the next generation wont know what a headwind is.

Bring back incandescent bulbs and crossings please.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 741 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:
Bring back incandescent bulbs and crossings please.

Two tracks I regularly race on don't have to bring them back. They just never changed in the first place. Smile Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
... Well anybody can make a shyt car run good if the track never changes just outta dumb luck......

Lots of truth to that. Whenever we scale and adjust a bracket car I have to have the "talk" with the owner. It goes something like this .... " we adjusted your car to be a good bracket car, do not hang out with your buddies and have a #$%^ measuring contest by comparing your sixty foot times. Yours is going to suck, but when the sun comes out, the dew comes down, after the jet cars run, etc........you'll be good.

After all these years, the only one not requiring the "talk" was Shooter. Smile

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 2764 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XPS fan:
quote:
... Well anybody can make a shyt car run good if the track never changes just outta dumb luck......

Lots of truth to that. Whenever we scale and adjust a bracket car I have to have the "talk" with the owner. It goes something like this .... " we adjusted your car to be a good bracket car, do not hang out with your buddies and have a #$%^ measuring contest by comparing your sixty foot times. Yours is going to suck, but when the sun comes out, the dew comes down, after the jet cars run, etc........you'll be good.

After all these years, the only one not requiring the "talk" was Shooter. Smile

That’s funny, i spent a lot of time actively trying to slow my 60’ down on my dragster without ruining how the car worked otherwise. I finally got it to where it 60’ .02-.03 slower than similar e.t. Cars which makes for a consistent piece when the track isn’t at it’s best.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Hughes:
That’s funny, i spent a lot of time actively trying to slow my 60’ down on my dragster without ruining how the car worked otherwise. I finally got it to where it 60’ .02-.03 slower than similar e.t. Cars which makes for a consistent piece when the track isn’t at it’s best.

You've got it.

Bracket car = over hooked under powered

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 2764 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
So by "work on your car" we mean, "make it slow"?
I see a comment about making your car work in all conditions. We can't accurately make blanket statements like that. I have seen track conditions that were worse than the street in front of my house. NOBODY was safely going anywhere. I don't think we pay our money strictly for an ambulance, guard rails and a timing system. Our expectations ought to be a little higher than that. The thread is about track conditions that aren't good, not about cars that can't make even a great track work for them.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I see a comment about making your car work in all conditions. We can't accurately make blanket statements like that. I have seen track conditions that were worse than the street in front of my house. NOBODY was safely going anywhere. I don't think we pay our money strictly for an ambulance, guard rails and a timing system. Our expectations ought to be a little higher than that. The thread is about track conditions that aren't good, not about cars that can't make even a great track work for them.

I agree and will take it a step further. What is the steps (or Magic) to make a track hook The question was not who has best hooking track or best flipping Hamburgers but how to make a track hook.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
i don,t know how cars made it down the track years ago without the miracle stuff of today ... oh yeah you actually worked on your combo to get to work ...lmao...

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
quote:

YOU cant make statements like that. He didnt "make it slow" he made it WORK. For instance, sat night at the grove a few years ago it was in the mid to upper 30s so ya an already iffy track was junk. While the whinney majority was *****in and cryin to call the race the ol digger laid down five 4.65's in a row on a track the babies said "was too dangerous" and postponed it. Thus, the difference in utilizing your brain, and being someone that only internet races and dreams of magical pinion angles and instant centers. You dont even know what to adjust much less question why somebody else would work on their own car lmao.

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

YOU cant make statements like that. He didnt "make it slow" he made it WORK. For instance, sat night at the grove a few years ago it was in the mid to upper 30s so ya an already iffy track was junk. While the whinney majority was *****in and cryin to call the race the ol digger laid down five 4.65's in a row on a track the babies said "was too dangerous" and postponed it. Thus, the difference in utilizing your brain, and being someone that only internet races and dreams of magical pinion angles and instant centers. You dont even know what to adjust much less question why somebody else would work on their own car lmao.

What are you talking about hos?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
i don,t know how cars made it down the track years ago without the miracle stuff of today ... oh yeah you actually worked on your combo to get to work ...lmao...

I raced years ago. Cars were slower. And frankly, my local tracks were prepped just as well 25 years ago.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo