DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    what makes good weekend racing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what makes good weekend racing
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Looking at thread on sfg million this weekend.Noticed a few complaining about how big money racing is run or questioning smarts of racing them (always someone).

So as not to derail a thread. I was wondering what make for a good weekend racing for you.

For me it has always been a performance and money both deal.
If I ran good,hurt very few parts and made some money in long run I thought hell lot worst ways to spend a weekend. Now on weekends where we kicked a rod,did not run good at all and lost a ton I was thinking WTF am I doing this shyt for.

IMO if you go big money racing and do anything above break even its been a not bad weekend. Now by break even I am including cost of weekend and wear an tear on car cost wise.Now if you are up cpl grand its good weekend.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
One of the things that I like to see is NO rain.
They look good right now for that.Also,NO parts breakage.
As far as the SFG race,if you double entered every race and bought back in every race,how much $ would that be?
We need a math wiz.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
No breakage whatsoever. No new performance issues/surprises. No noises I hadn't noticed before. In short, nothing to sweat over during the week. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
No breakage whatsoever. No new performance issues/surprises. No noises I hadn't noticed before. In short, nothing to sweat over during the week. Take care. Tom Worthington

Pretty much this... Car driving itself onto trailer under its own power is great. Anything better than that is gravy.

Posts: 176 | Location: Byron, GA | Registered: January 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Lucky Scott Hudson
posted Hide Post
Old friends and new friends. That's what makes a good weekend of racing.
If the car runs good, thats a huge bonus. If I do my job as a driver and go some rounds, well thats just icing on the cake.....

Posts: 1199 | Location: So Cal | Registered: March 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I know you gotta do what ya gotta do with 900+ cars but when we start racing I want to finish...THAT DAY..don’t care how quick you call us back...

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Scott Hudson hit the nail on the head. I am at the WFC lost 1st round last night and having a ball

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
One of the things that I like to see is NO rain.
They look good right now for that.Also,NO parts breakage.
As far as the SFG race,if you double entered every race and bought back in every race,how much $ would that be?
We need a math wiz.
. With entry fees printed on the flyer I come up with $7,698 and that’s double entered and buy backs if you don’t win a round. Entry would be little higher if you paid at gate.

Posts: 34 | Location: Louisville,KY,US | Registered: October 11, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Friendships !!! I’ve made some new 2nd best friends this weekend !!!

Jeff McClure

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
When I was younger, if I didn't make 8 cars I was never going to be happy no matter how I drove. My first time through college, I didn't have a job and depended on racing for income (didn't need much a grand a month was a good month). Over the next few years, entry fees locally raised a fair amount and a new engine came apart on the return road after 7 runs and wiped out everything. Besides that, I was saving everything I could to prepare for missing a paycheck for a year (went back to school to become a teacher and you have a year long internship required to get certified) and I couldn't get out to race more than once a month. After a few miserable outings, my car came out twice in each of the last 2 years. I started running street until our local track got rid of it. At that point, I was happy getting my entry fee back. If I drove like crap, it at least made me feel like I didn't waste my time. If I drove great and just couldn't get it done, the fact that it didn't cost me anything eased the irritation of not getting it done. I'm trying to get back to it this year, and I feel like if I do, my standards are going to be higher because now I feel like I need to make up for the time I feel like I threw away.

Posts: 66 | Location: Glen Burnie | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This question is easy to answer——The WFC——you just have to leave all the gizmos home. One of the $10,000 winners DROVE the winning car around 350 mi to the race. I won’t go into all the details but this race checks all the boxes.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
No troubles with anything or any parts breakage? Geeze I wouldn't have many good weekends! Generator, tow vehicle, race car, golf cart, other race car. It would be just plain unnatural for everything to work perfectly. If we can drive up to our potential, not make needless mistakes, have just a little success.....that's a great day. Win a race? Big time great day. Winning a championship is even better. We learned long ago though that if everything pivots around winning, then you are dependent on a lot of variables,,some not within your control, to have fun. Maybe the other guy was just awesome that day. So the day wasn't fun? When we decided that we would enjoy family time together at the track and MAKE it fun, we started having even more success on the track. Sure it is less fun when you come home with the contents of the engine in the diaper. But if we come home in one piece and can hug each other...heck we signed up for the excitement!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6381 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I don't race for a living so having fun is number one...if I can win some money all the better...I love the competition and comraderie, racing new venues, seeing old friends and making new ones...

Posts: 1276 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We spent the week at us131 for IHRA and SFG. We made a little over double what our total cost was. That is a great weekend. A good weekend would be close to or breaking even.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 465 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking I’d say that everything going into the trailer under its own power qualifies as a good day at the races, but the only works the first few weekends after major breakage. Then I like to at least get my entry fees back.

So far this season I’ve only played Junior Dragster crew chief and it’s actually been pretty enjoyable! I’ve had my dragster in the trailer everywhere but still haven’t put the battery back in or drained out the thin winter oil.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3151 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
hey crew chiefing for your kid will make it a good weekend. IMO not that I have a kid to do so for but can see where that would rank at the top.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Having fun and putting your stuff away intact.
If the wife and grandkids had fun and we're all safe, I'm happy.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1622 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
Wow, a good/great weekend racing.
1 no flats driving or returning from track
2 generator starts on its own with out having to work on it
3 golf cart starts on its own as well
4 wife and I can communicate with out hurt feelings
5 race car runs as it should
6 driver avoids taking the stupid pill somewhere during the race
7 driving race car back into the trailer with no noise and good oil pressure.
8 making it to the money rounds,,, PRICELESS!!

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
guys have you ever tried driving a car into trailer that about 270" total length , about 1" closer to ground than intended(2 5/8" at motor plate and has zoomies. Add in trailer is not my Gold rush which sits lot closer to ground.

Happy to push it into trailer all together and not dragging the frame. LOL

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
"What makes a good weekend racing?"

A weekend racing.

I had two years where the car was broke more often than not, and then this year has been a cluster where I'm behind on planned upgrades by months due to the virus. That stuff will fix your perspective real quick!

"It's all good. Some's just better than others."

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5728 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post